• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Costs of 6+buns

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just wondering how those of you with 6 or more bunnies afford them? Do you earn well, or just save every penny for the buns, work 2 jobs to afford them etc etc? Not meaning to be nosy, just doing a little homework ;)

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about people with multiple buns, but I was completely shocked when I bought 2 bags of hay and a small bag of shavings yesterday (my parents normally pay for the bun stuff) to find myself £15 out of pocket! It's soooo expensive!

15 bunnies here,soon to be 17:shock:......I'm not briliantly well paid but if they need vet care or whatever they get it :wave:

ETA I don't drink,don't smoke,rarely go out ,I'd rather have my bunnies :)

Last edited:
I have 1 large dog,2 cats,3 bunnies and 3 piggies.Both me and partner work all hours and don,t go out much.

I've got 16 buns. It costs me quite a lot of money, but I don't really spend money on anything else (except bills obviously!). I work full-time, but can't do overtime or anything to earn cash because we don't get paid for working extra hours.

It helps to buy food and bedding in bulk, and you learn money saving tricks, like mixing a sack of SS (circa £21) with with a sack of A&P (circa £7) to make it go further.

TBH the main expense is vets bills. I've had 3 poorly buns this month, and consequently a vet bill of around £400

I afford my animals by sacraficing luxurys. I own 4 bunnys and 2 guinea pigs. It costs me about £40 for insurance,£20 for the sack of bun food,£10 for straw,£15-£20 worth of hay a month plus there injections which for four buns costs about £130ish

Erm 4 buns, 4 pigs split between two of us for their costs.

Megazorb - £6 lasts over a month which is used for 8 litter trays cleaned everyother day
Bale of hay - £3-5 lasts a month
Vaccinations - £150 a year for 4 buns, we now get 10% off though so £135
Veg - Can be anywhere up to £10 a week but normally about £5 - biggest cost :shock:
Pellets - A&P £8, guinea pigs £3/4 excel (needs replacing after the sell by dates as we never finish a bag :roll: )

Total rough cost: £490 a year :shock: or £40 a month if I equally divide it lol - thank goodness! :shock:

Plus I insure my 2 at an extra £16 a month :wave:

Last edited:
Have just worked out the monthly cost...

I have..

10 rabbits of my own
5 foster rabbits
3 guineas

2 bales of hay..........£8.00
1 bale straw............£3.50
1 large readigrass.....£9.99
food.......................£15.00

fresh foods are fed daily, but luckily i get it free at the moment. I also have a fair amount of stuff growing in the garden.

Vaccs are done in 3 batches.
vet bills as and when.

20 rabbits, 5 fosters and a cat.

I (we) manage because we don't have kids, don't go out, don't have holidays, run two old bangers instead of new cars, don't have Sky telly, don't have up to date mobile phones, shop in Lidl, shop in charity shops or car boots and never in a full price shop, don't smoke, oh, and I work at a vets.

Worth every bit of effort and I wouldn't have it any other way.:D

3 Rabbits, 5 rats. We both earn decent money and if we didn't we probably would have stuck with a pair of each instead. It helps that my vets has a vaccination, panacur, and health check scheme which saves a fair bit of money and fortunately we haven't had any major vet bills yet.

20 rabbits, 5 fosters and a cat.

I (we) manage because we don't have kids, don't go out, don't have holidays, run two old bangers instead of new cars, don't have Sky telly, don't have up to date mobile phones, shop in Lidl, shop in charity shops or car boots and never in a full price shop, don't smoke, oh, and I work at a vets.

Worth every bit of effort and I wouldn't have it any other way.:D

We're pretty much the same - except 22 buns & 2 cats :)

We don't have kids, don't have social lives as such - except once in a blue moon, run 1 car, shop in Netto, don't buy clothes - unless absolutely necessary - but like everyone else, we wouldn't have it any other way.

I've got a decent-ish job, although my hubby's not on a particularly brilliant wage - so it's about sacrifing other things, so we can have the buns & cats we've got.

It also a massive help that our vets are brill & don't charge us consultation fees & give us 20% off everything :)

We're pretty much the same - except 22 buns & 2 cats :)

We don't have kids, don't have social lives as such - except once in a blue moon, run 1 car, shop in Netto, don't buy clothes - unless absolutely necessary - but like everyone else, we wouldn't have it any other way.

I've got a decent-ish job, although my hubby's not on a particularly brilliant wage - so it's about sacrifing other things, so we can have the buns & cats we've got.

It also a massive help that our vets are brill & don't charge us consultation fees & give us 20% off everything :)

Same here, except I need your vets :lol: and we have 37 buns, 6 cats and 8 piggys

Can I assume that those with 6+ bunnies save rather than buy insurance?

I worked out that for 4 bunnies that I pay more in insurance per month than it costs to feed them for three. :shock::shock: I pay £32 a month in insurance, and that buys 3 months of a+p, hay and veg (treat hay is just that, a treat, I buy when it is on offer at Simplyk9, although it might not be for much longer, from what other people have been saying of bad customer service!)

I have 8 of my own, 9 fosters and a hamster
I have a good job, don't go out, drink or smoke or have holidays or days out
I spend about £12 a week on fresh veg for the lot of them, get gorgeous farm baled hay from the lovely Helen for only £4 a bale which lasts a good 2 weeks for all of them, i always buy food in the biggest bags but do spend quite a bit on toys and treats for them.
i don't have insurance, if any bun needs a vet and i don't have the money it goes on the credit card and gets paid the next month, i think insurance for the buns is a waste as there are so many ifs and buts with it knowing my luck i wouldn't be covered for anything.

16 buns, 2 tortoises, 4 hens, 2 bantams, 1 cat (and 4 pond fish!).

We manage by taking in 'english as foreign language' students who study at one of the many english language schools in Cambridge. They stay with us whilst studying. Means you have to get used to sharing the house with people you don't know - but that how we do it. Brings in about £120 a week in summer, about half that in winter.

We both work of course, and don't have children, but live 'comfortable' lives (though have credit card debts to show for it - but then have always been that way).

On the insurance front - I did stop our insurance for a while but after several VERY large bills (badly broken and crushed leg, gut surgery, obstinant jaw abcess etc) I re-joined and am really glad I did. Worth every penny.

Can I assume that those with 6+ bunnies save rather than buy insurance?
I worked out that for 4 bunnies that I pay more in insurance per month than it costs to feed them for three. :shock::shock: I pay £32 a month in insurance, and that buys 3 months of a+p, hay and veg (treat hay is just that, a treat, I buy when it is on offer at Simplyk9, although it might not be for much longer, from what other people have been saying of bad customer service!)

Whats save??:oops: No we just have huge vets bills to constantly pay off :lol:

Same here, except I need your vets :lol: and we have 37 buns, 6 cats and 8 piggys

If I could get them to open a branch near you Liz, I'd send em down ;)

As for insurance, nope don't have any - it's a case of pay for bills as & when they arise. If we have any biggies - then fortunately they are fine us paying when we're able to :) They know we're not going to go anywhere fast with 22 buns & 2 cats in tow! Plus they've at least got a regular income with us :shock::lol:

I have 7 bunnies, 2 hamsters, 4 tortoises and 3 piggies.

I am lucky as i dont have a mortgage, which means we can usually find money for emergency vet bills. If we dont have spare cash, i have savings. Food/hay/bedding wise, hay and bedding are farmer hay and hemcore. Food is SS which is about the biggest outgoing apart from vet bills. My vet is very resonable though :D

Back