PDA

View Full Version : Costs of 6+buns

p_prod_uk
25-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering how those of you with 6 or more bunnies afford them? Do you earn well, or just save every penny for the buns, work 2 jobs to afford them etc etc? Not meaning to be nosy, just doing a little homework ;)

Thanks in advance.

bluebunny
25-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Well ive got 6 rabbits,7 pigs 2 dogs and 3 Budgies.How do i afford them????? ive no idea but i do :lol:

Hoppit!
25-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't know about people with multiple buns, but I was completely shocked when I bought 2 bags of hay and a small bag of shavings yesterday (my parents normally pay for the bun stuff) to find myself £15 out of pocket! It's soooo expensive!

charlie82
25-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I thought about this today.. I afford them by sacrificing everything else!!

biscuitblossom
25-08-2009, 09:24 PM
15 bunnies here,soon to be 17:shock:......I'm not briliantly well paid but if they need vet care or whatever they get it :wave:

ETA I don't drink,don't smoke,rarely go out ,I'd rather have my bunnies :)

Becca
25-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I have 1 large dog,2 cats,3 bunnies and 3 piggies.Both me and partner work all hours and don,t go out much.

abbymarysmokey
25-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I've got 16 buns. It costs me quite a lot of money, but I don't really spend money on anything else (except bills obviously!). I work full-time, but can't do overtime or anything to earn cash because we don't get paid for working extra hours.

It helps to buy food and bedding in bulk, and you learn money saving tricks, like mixing a sack of SS (circa £21) with with a sack of A&P (circa £7) to make it go further.

TBH the main expense is vets bills. I've had 3 poorly buns this month, and consequently a vet bill of around £400

Phoebesmummy9
25-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I afford my animals by sacraficing luxurys. I own 4 bunnys and 2 guinea pigs. It costs me about £40 for insurance,£20 for the sack of bun food,£10 for straw,£15-£20 worth of hay a month plus there injections which for four buns costs about £130ish

Sam_Spice
25-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Erm 4 buns, 4 pigs split between two of us for their costs.

Megazorb - £6 lasts over a month which is used for 8 litter trays cleaned everyother day
Bale of hay - £3-5 lasts a month
Vaccinations - £150 a year for 4 buns, we now get 10% off though so £135
Veg - Can be anywhere up to £10 a week but normally about £5 - biggest cost :shock:
Pellets - A&P £8, guinea pigs £3/4 excel (needs replacing after the sell by dates as we never finish a bag :roll: )

Total rough cost: £490 a year :shock: or £40 a month if I equally divide it lol - thank goodness! :shock:

Plus I insure my 2 at an extra £16 a month :wave:

mich8
25-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Have just worked out the monthly cost...

I have..

10 rabbits of my own
5 foster rabbits
3 guineas

2 bales of hay..........£8.00
1 bale straw............£3.50
1 large readigrass.....£9.99
food.......................£15.00

fresh foods are fed daily, but luckily i get it free at the moment. I also have a fair amount of stuff growing in the garden.

Vaccs are done in 3 batches.
vet bills as and when.

The Duchess
25-08-2009, 09:47 PM
20 rabbits, 5 fosters and a cat.

I (we) manage because we don't have kids, don't go out, don't have holidays, run two old bangers instead of new cars, don't have Sky telly, don't have up to date mobile phones, shop in Lidl, shop in charity shops or car boots and never in a full price shop, don't smoke, oh, and I work at a vets.

Worth every bit of effort and I wouldn't have it any other way.:D

Rhian33
25-08-2009, 09:48 PM
3 Rabbits, 5 rats. We both earn decent money and if we didn't we probably would have stuck with a pair of each instead. It helps that my vets has a vaccination, panacur, and health check scheme which saves a fair bit of money and fortunately we haven't had any major vet bills yet.

Bunnyaddict
25-08-2009, 09:59 PM
20 rabbits, 5 fosters and a cat.

I (we) manage because we don't have kids, don't go out, don't have holidays, run two old bangers instead of new cars, don't have Sky telly, don't have up to date mobile phones, shop in Lidl, shop in charity shops or car boots and never in a full price shop, don't smoke, oh, and I work at a vets.

Worth every bit of effort and I wouldn't have it any other way.:D

We're pretty much the same - except 22 buns & 2 cats :)

We don't have kids, don't have social lives as such - except once in a blue moon, run 1 car, shop in Netto, don't buy clothes - unless absolutely necessary - but like everyone else, we wouldn't have it any other way.

I've got a decent-ish job, although my hubby's not on a particularly brilliant wage - so it's about sacrifing other things, so we can have the buns & cats we've got.

It also a massive help that our vets are brill & don't charge us consultation fees & give us 20% off everything :)

Hugo's There
25-08-2009, 10:02 PM
We're pretty much the same - except 22 buns & 2 cats :)

We don't have kids, don't have social lives as such - except once in a blue moon, run 1 car, shop in Netto, don't buy clothes - unless absolutely necessary - but like everyone else, we wouldn't have it any other way.

I've got a decent-ish job, although my hubby's not on a particularly brilliant wage - so it's about sacrifing other things, so we can have the buns & cats we've got.

It also a massive help that our vets are brill & don't charge us consultation fees & give us 20% off everything :)

Same here, except I need your vets :lol: and we have 37 buns, 6 cats and 8 piggys

lottielouise
25-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Can I assume that those with 6+ bunnies save rather than buy insurance?

I worked out that for 4 bunnies that I pay more in insurance per month than it costs to feed them for three. :shock::shock: I pay £32 a month in insurance, and that buys 3 months of a+p, hay and veg (treat hay is just that, a treat, I buy when it is on offer at Simplyk9, although it might not be for much longer, from what other people have been saying of bad customer service!)

angeleyes
25-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I have 8 of my own, 9 fosters and a hamster
I have a good job, don't go out, drink or smoke or have holidays or days out
I spend about £12 a week on fresh veg for the lot of them, get gorgeous farm baled hay from the lovely Helen for only £4 a bale which lasts a good 2 weeks for all of them, i always buy food in the biggest bags but do spend quite a bit on toys and treats for them.
i don't have insurance, if any bun needs a vet and i don't have the money it goes on the credit card and gets paid the next month, i think insurance for the buns is a waste as there are so many ifs and buts with it knowing my luck i wouldn't be covered for anything.

parsnipbun
25-08-2009, 10:16 PM
16 buns, 2 tortoises, 4 hens, 2 bantams, 1 cat (and 4 pond fish!).

We manage by taking in 'english as foreign language' students who study at one of the many english language schools in Cambridge. They stay with us whilst studying. Means you have to get used to sharing the house with people you don't know - but that how we do it. Brings in about £120 a week in summer, about half that in winter.

We both work of course, and don't have children, but live 'comfortable' lives (though have credit card debts to show for it - but then have always been that way).

On the insurance front - I did stop our insurance for a while but after several VERY large bills (badly broken and crushed leg, gut surgery, obstinant jaw abcess etc) I re-joined and am really glad I did. Worth every penny.

Hugo's There
25-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Can I assume that those with 6+ bunnies save rather than buy insurance?
I worked out that for 4 bunnies that I pay more in insurance per month than it costs to feed them for three. :shock::shock: I pay £32 a month in insurance, and that buys 3 months of a+p, hay and veg (treat hay is just that, a treat, I buy when it is on offer at Simplyk9, although it might not be for much longer, from what other people have been saying of bad customer service!)

Whats save??:oops: No we just have huge vets bills to constantly pay off :lol:

Bunnyaddict
25-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Same here, except I need your vets :lol: and we have 37 buns, 6 cats and 8 piggys

If I could get them to open a branch near you Liz, I'd send em down ;)

As for insurance, nope don't have any - it's a case of pay for bills as & when they arise. If we have any biggies - then fortunately they are fine us paying when we're able to :) They know we're not going to go anywhere fast with 22 buns & 2 cats in tow! Plus they've at least got a regular income with us :shock::lol:

ShazzaBunny
26-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I have 7 bunnies, 2 hamsters, 4 tortoises and 3 piggies.

I am lucky as i dont have a mortgage, which means we can usually find money for emergency vet bills. If we dont have spare cash, i have savings. Food/hay/bedding wise, hay and bedding are farmer hay and hemcore. Food is SS which is about the biggest outgoing apart from vet bills. My vet is very resonable though :D

tickles
26-08-2009, 08:19 AM
we have a fair few different animals and scarifce holidays days out fashion and everything else.
We also have a great vet who gives us discount on everything and doesnt charge us VAT aswell.

MedicatedFluffball
26-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I have 7 bunnies, 2 hamsters, 4 tortoises and 3 piggies.

I am lucky as i dont have a mortgage, which means we can usually find money for emergency vet bills. If we dont have spare cash, i have savings. Food/hay/bedding wise, hay and bedding are farmer hay and hemcore. Food is SS which is about the biggest outgoing apart from vet bills. My vet is very resonable though :D

What vet do you use? If you don't mind me nosing :roll:
14 buns...
I pay for all the bun stuff from my wages, which never total more than £100 a week
Food - £20 a month
Hay - £10
Fresh foods - £20-30
Vet bills - £50-ish..Been waaaaay more recently
Spent £500 in the last month at my vets :shock:
Toys/Wood for hutches etc - £10 - £15

biscuitblossom
26-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Another thing that helps with me is that I'm a great big bunny scrounger....I tell people off at work if they mention throwing something away that I could give the buns ( a friend was pruning her apple tree and told me she'd burnt the wood!! I nearly fainted..lol) as a result they keep things for me .

My next door neighbour is moving and house clearing so I've scrounged some nice wooden boxes and a big wicker laundry basket for the bunnies not to mention a load of hutch building wood from dismantling a fort type playhouse at the end of his garden and loads of weeds too.....:lol:

BB Mommy
26-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I have 8 buns of my own, two fosters, three dogs a tortoise and a cockatiel.

I work two days a week to pay for the animals - if I didn't have the animals I wouldn't have to work, but then I wouldn't enjoy life either without them!

I haven't actually added up the true cost as I reckon it's that high that ignorance is bliss!!

ShazzaBunny
26-08-2009, 06:44 PM
What vet do you use? If you don't mind me nosing :roll:

Of course i dont mind. I use Pets Friend, which is in Stenhousemuir. The vet is called David Charity. He is fab, he examines all the bunnies on the floor so there is no risk of jumping off the table :). He gives me discounts on stuff too because im a good customer :lol:

Loz
26-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Working at a vets and getting awesome staff discount really helps... my last lot of vaccines cost £3 each :)

devoted2buns
26-08-2009, 09:19 PM
no idea, stopped spending money on myself.

giantbunnymummy
26-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I only have 2 bunnies and I seem to be spending more a month than many of you with 6+ :oops: (and I live on a low income). Think I need to cut back a lot.

£16 insurance
£27 DFH large bale meadow hay
£15 approx 4 bags green oat hay
£3 ish peppermint hay
£16 2 bags megazorb
£5 roughly on A&P pellets (I buy a bag every 3 months for £15)
£2 veg - most of it free from garden at the moment

£84 :shock::shock::shock::oops:

Plus treats and toys Hangs head in shame :lol:

lottielouise
26-08-2009, 09:57 PM
£15:shock: for A+P I only pay £8.50 for mine!!

MedicatedFluffball
26-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Of course i dont mind. I use Pets Friend, which is in Stenhousemuir. The vet is called David Charity. He is fab, he examines all the bunnies on the floor so there is no risk of jumping off the table :). He gives me discounts on stuff too because im a good customer :lol:
Is that the one over the road near the doctors? (I'm trying to visualise it :lol:)
I used them to have my cat neutered once, the vet was brill :D
I used the one opposite Blockbuster in town once for a rat with a chest infection... £46 for the consultation and a course of Baytril and Metacam :shock:

My current vet is amazing. They only charge £8.50 for the consultation, and £11 per vaccination, plus she always orders Lapinject for me 'specially :roll: :oops:

Sam_Spice
26-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I only have 2 bunnies and I seem to be spending more a month than many of you with 6+ :oops: (and I live on a low income). Think I need to cut back a lot.

£16 insurance
£27 DFH large bale meadow hay
£15 approx 4 bags green oat hay
£3 ish peppermint hay
£16 2 bags megazorb
£5 roughly on A&P pellets (I buy a bag every 3 months for £15)
£2 veg - most of it free from garden at the moment

£84 :shock::shock::shock::oops:

Plus treats and toys Hangs head in shame :lol:

A bag of megazorb per bun per month :shock: Ours is split between 8 animals and one bag lasts over a month :lol: Your buns must have spotless trays at all time hehe :lol:

ShazzaBunny
27-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Is that the one over the road near the doctors? (I'm trying to visualise it :lol:)
I used them to have my cat neutered once, the vet was brill :D
I used the one opposite Blockbuster in town once for a rat with a chest infection... £46 for the consultation and a course of Baytril and Metacam :shock:

My current vet is amazing. They only charge £8.50 for the consultation, and £11 per vaccination, plus she always orders Lapinject for me 'specially :roll: :oops:

Thats right :D. It used to be David Findlays (i wasnt so keen on him), then David Charity took over and he is amazing! When he performs ops he puts tubing in so if your pet stopd breathing he can give them mouth to mouth.

The one opposite Blockbuster (Grahams Road) are pretty useless i agree and expensive. I have only used them once when a bunny was dumped at my work and i needed the nearest vet, he was scabby with mites and the vet refused to touch him making me lift him etc :roll:.

Your new vet sounds great, very resonable too :D.

I assume you used to live up this end then? :D

MedicatedFluffball
27-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Thats right :D. It used to be David Findlays (i wasnt so keen on him), then David Charity took over and he is amazing! When he performs ops he puts tubing in so if your pet stopd breathing he can give them mouth to mouth.

The one opposite Blockbuster (Grahams Road) are pretty useless i agree and expensive. I have only used them once when a bunny was dumped at my work and i needed the nearest vet, he was scabby with mites and the vet refused to touch him making me lift him etc :roll:.

Your new vet sounds great, very resonable too :D.

I assume you used to live up this end then? :D

:lol:How did you guess?:roll: Carronshore :oops: Lived there for 18 months with my ex :D
Nice enough place, just a shame about some of the people :lol:

ShazzaBunny
27-08-2009, 08:27 AM
:lol:How did you guess?:roll: Carronshore :oops: Lived there for 18 months with my ex :D
Nice enough place, just a shame about some of the people :lol:

Ah cool :D. Carronshore is ok, one of my friends lives there. I suppose its like everywhere, good bits and not so good bits. I am in Stenhousemuir :D. Luckily dont get much bother from anyone as i appear to live on an OAP street :oops: :lol:

giantbunnymummy
27-08-2009, 09:07 AM
£15:shock: for A+P I only pay £8.50 for mine!!

I get mine online (as I've no transport) so only pay £8.15 per bag, but postage is £7 :(

A bag of megazorb per bun per month :shock: Ours is split between 8 animals and one bag lasts over a month :lol: Your buns must have spotless trays at all time hehe :lol:

I don't know how I get through so much of it compared to the rest of you :oops: I change their litter trays twice in 24hrs, and put three big scoops of megazorb in each one so there's a reasonable amount covering the bottom. Usually I'm onto a new bag within 2 weeks, sometimes only 10 days :shock: If I leave their trays for 24hrs they're overflowing! I blame Daisy's big bunny poos :lol:

Sam_Spice
27-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't know how I get through so much of it compared to the rest of you :oops: I change their litter trays twice in 24hrs, and put three big scoops of megazorb in each one so there's a reasonable amount covering the bottom. Usually I'm onto a new bag within 2 weeks, sometimes only 10 days :shock: If I leave their trays for 24hrs they're overflowing! I blame Daisy's big bunny poos :lol:

You must have bigger litter trays than me then probably as it only takes 1 scoop to fill/overfill our trays. Our trays are all standard cat litter trays and the rabbits have 4 of them alone and get cleaned out every 3 days. I've not noticed a smell with ours even after 3 days but with yours being in the house I guess it would be alot more obvious :lol:

MedicatedFluffball
27-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Ah cool :D. Carronshore is ok, one of my friends lives there. I suppose its like everywhere, good bits and not so good bits. I am in Stenhousemuir :D. Luckily dont get much bother from anyone as i appear to live on an OAP street :oops: :lol:

:lol: I used to live next door to druggies :roll:
I used to work for TSC in Larbert...Easiest job I've ever had :lol:

hurricanhoney
27-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I get mine online (as I've no transport) so only pay £8.15 per bag, but postage is £7 :(

Have you tried The Hay Experts for Megazorb as it is cheaper and the postage is too.

Squizz
27-08-2009, 10:33 PM
We've got 8 buns. When i worked full time I saved £50 a month for bunny emergencies. I recently left my job so cant do that anymore, but will try & put some money aside each month.

We do have quite a busy social life but we dont spend ridiculous amounts when we go out. A big vets bill this year meant we didnt get a summer holiday, but happy to sacrifice that for the buns!!

I am alarmed at what some of you spend on hay!! I pay £3 for a huge bag & it lasts me weeks!!

lottielouise
27-08-2009, 11:01 PM

Where in Lancs are you, Im sure we can find somewhere that will deliver it for less than£7. I buy everything in bulk, and work out that 2 bales of hay, 2 megazorb and a bag of A+P will last around 3 months. So I pay £3.50 delivery for all that!! Mine comes from a horse supplier, but they delivery to my house and know its for my buns :)

ShazzaBunny
28-08-2009, 08:16 AM
:lol: I used to live next door to druggies :roll:
I used to work for TSC in Larbert...Easiest job I've ever had :lol:

I worked there too :shock: :lol: a good few years ago now right enough.

giantbunnymummy
28-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Have you tried The Hay Experts for Megazorb as it is cheaper and the postage is too.

:wave: Thanks, I do buy my megazorb from Hay Experts, it's the A&P that costs me £7 delivery! Shame Hay Experts don't stock it.

Where in Lancs are you, Im sure we can find somewhere that will deliver it for less than£7. I buy everything in bulk, and work out that 2 bales of hay, 2 megazorb and a bag of A+P will last around 3 months. So I pay £3.50 delivery for all that!! Mine comes from a horse supplier, but they delivery to my house and know its for my buns :)

I'm Whitworth, north of Rochdale :wave: Could you let me know which horse supplier you use? Maybe they'd deliver to me too if I asked nicely :)

MedicatedFluffball
28-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I worked there too :shock: :lol: a good few years ago now right enough.

:lol:
I think everyone in Falkirk has worked there at some point!! :roll:

Fiiiinally getting my garden run today! £20 in the local paper :love:

jazzywoo
02-09-2009, 11:15 PM
i have more rabbits than most people on here and i really dont want to work out how much it costs to run my rabbitry :lol: however i did stupidly work it out once and it worked out at £2000 a year :shock:
it costs £20 a week in food i buy food by the sack as it works out cheaper and i go throgh 2 sacks a week !
however they are worth every penny :love:

lottielouise
03-09-2009, 07:47 AM
:wave: Thanks, I do buy my megazorb from Hay Experts, it's the A&P that costs me £7 delivery! Shame Hay Experts don't stock it.

I'm Whitworth, north of Rochdale :wave: Could you let me know which horse supplier you use? Maybe they'd deliver to me too if I asked nicely :)

Affordable pets, 577 market street, whitworth, are listed as Allen and page suppliers- you might have to as if they can order it in for you. I would expect that they can get you megazorb abd bales or 1/2 bales of hay too. I normally pay about £3.50 for my delivery from Shaw into Oldham, I use Beal Hey.

Angie65
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I have 15 buns -plus 3 boarders at present. I usually have 15 & one or 2 fosters/bonders

I buy those big round bales of hay - £20 each. That lasts me a fair while. I feed excel & use woodbased cat litter, & usually bulk buy if there's an offer on. I get free veg from my local sainsbury's - which is probably 50% of what the buns (& me:oops:) eat in total. I nick newspaper from work.

I have a decent job, & an account at the vets - who are usually quite understanding. Then there's my credit cards. A sick bun can cost a fair whack, but I'd find a way:lol: