• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit being spayed soon, any advice...

Trines

Young Bun
Hi
my rabbit is being spayed this friday. she is on her own ( I am hoping to get her a boyfriend from rescue when she is recovered :)) I am planning on putting her in a cage in my bedroom when she comes back and I have been told to put her on shredded newspaper but not hay. has anyone else got any advice on how I can prepare and look after her? I would also like to know if she is likely to be in a lot of pain, and how long before I put her outside in a run etc. I have to admit I am quite nervous about her spay :?, luckily she doesn't know anything about it ;)

I am sure she will be fine:D
You need a hay rack for her hay and a water bowl for water.
Angel started eating the morning after,i did have to waft a few dandelion leafs under her nose though:roll::roll:
Make sure the vet also gives her pain relief before she leaves.
I kept Angel confined for around 5 days,she wasn,t impressed:lol::lol:

I used an indoor cage with a heat pad and used towels for bedding and a bit of newspaper in one corner. I actually put her carrier in the cage so she could hide which i think she liked and she came out when she was ready. I was really suprised how bouncy she was after her spay!

Amber didn't want her usual favourites to eat and ate what she usually eats last! Definitely try dandelion leaves!

Keep an eye on the non biting end and make sure she is pooing by the next morning.

Don't forget to ask the vet about pain relief.

I would definitely second the towel thing, they are lovely and soft to lay on with a sore spot. Good luck with the spay and I hope you find her a lovely husbun when the time is right :wave:

Interestingly enough Pixie who was spayed today has the choice of a nice large piece of vet bed or her litter tray and she has chosen to lie on her hay. She seems quite relaxed and relatively comfortable so far.

Heat is always key for pain relief, provided the bun is able to select to sit on it or not. Overheated buns are not good.

:D

I agree with everything but just want to say again how important adequate pain relief is.Keep an eye on her wound that she doesnt apear overly interested in it,watch it doesnt get hot or red [which may indicate infection].Some bunnies dont eat straight away but should have eaten by the following morning.If your not happy about anything then straight back to the vet, all the best!!:D

Oooh, and try to keep everything as clean as you can. Not over fussy but clean towels daily and clean litter tray morning and evening just to limit the amount of pee that may be around as in this weather especially it's a breeding ground for bacteria.

Hi,

I am in a similar position - have just the one girly bun at the moment, and am also really hoping to get her a boyfriend soon. I hate the fact that she is on her own, despite all the attention she gets from us :) Valentine was spayed last Friday, so completely understand the worry you're going through right now. I felt sooo guilty on Thursday night :(

As far as preparation is concerned, definitely agree with the above posts, plus there are loads of really useful threads if you search on this forum.

I used towels and puppy training pads for bedding which were brilliant. They're not cheap, but very soft and absorbent and easy to replace when you're cleaning out the hutch.

Keep her eating normally right up until the op, as this will help her get back on her feet more quickly, and make sure that you have a good supply of her favourite foods available to tempt her when she wakes up (take a packed lunch to the vets if they're ok with this, as this will help them to entice her to eat when she wakes up). Herbs in particular tend to be popular early on. Valentine would only eat raspberry leaves for the first 24 hours - cue me gathering them from the bushes outside with a torch (in my pjs) on the first night :roll:

Other than that, you just need to be prepared to keep a close eye on her (especially for the first 24-48 hours). Do give her the opportunity as soon as she seems able to have a little exercise to keep her gut moving and stop her from getting totally sluggish. Just make sure that that the area is clear from obstacles - you don't want her to upset the wound/stitches.

I kept Angel confined for around 5 days,she wasn,t impressed
Yep - Valentine is on her 4th day of house arrest now, and she has totally had enough now :lol:

Other than that - good luck with the spay. I'm sure that everything will go well on Friday :)

Hi everyone
thanks very much for all your replies (and good luck wishes:D) I will definitely take on board all the advice and make sure I ask the vet about pain relief. I have prepared her indoor area as much as I can until she comes home, and am just keeping everything crossed for friday. will let you know how she gets on :D

Just to add a bit more ... Miffy was spayed on Monday and we are using (and used for Fluffy) a base of (white) kitchen roll with more torn up kitchen roll for extra softness for the bed and toilet areas - changing dirty bits a lot and adding more when needed. It is not that cheap but just personally don't like newspaper. The buns also like the kitchen roll as they play with it too :lol:

And good luck for Friday. The advice I have got and the kindness from these threads is really good by the way. :)

Tink wasnt phased at all by her spay, the vet said she was eating as soon as she woke up. I packed her a little tupperware with all her favourite foods in to take to the vets, it was almost empty when they gave it back :lol: she likes her food!

The vet i took her to was very experienced and explained everything clearly so i didn't panic. I kept her inside for about 4 days after, and used old fleecy pj's as a bed, she ended up lying on hay though.

They gave me some special food to give to her incase she wasnt eating but as soon as i got her home she was chomping away no worries.

I thought she would be subdued afterwards but she was raring to go, i felt a bit sorry for her having to take it easy :lol:

Try not to worry too much im sure your bun will be fine :D

Hi
my rabbit is being spayed this friday. she is on her own ( I am hoping to get her a boyfriend from rescue when she is recovered :)) I have to admit I am quite nervous about her spay :?, luckily she doesn't know anything about it ;)

Hi :wave:

Same here, 9 o clock Friday mornin, we can compare notes :lol:

Nicola x

spay update, NicolaJ36

hello NicolaJ36 :wave:
how did your bun get on today? sorry I didn't reply sooner, parents are here and sleeping in the room with the computer :roll: flower got on well today, although she is sitting very still in my bedroom looking very sorry for herself. she has eaten a little food with persuasion but is definitely not herself yet... I will probably worry all the way through until she is back outside and chomping on her hay! am looking carefully and waiting for the poos to come :lol: how about you?

After Amber's spay, i left her to rest and offered her her favourite foods under her nose every half hour or hour

hi
yes, I am trying that too, have put a soft towel in for her to lie on, hopefully more comfortable for her :D

Back