• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blue atrracting bees? Water bottle dilema...

Jeffalina

Young Bun
I have always been under the impression that bees like the colour blue, becasue they see in blue and therefore true blue things seem the bluest. I have no idea if this is a myth or an old wives tale but I bought Pika a second bottle because in the heat the water is evaporating, so she now has a yellow one and a brand spanking new blue one. There is this bee in my garden that WILL NOT leave the blue bottle alone!!! Im worried the bee will go into the hutch and sting my bunny, so now me and Pika are indoors hiding from it- do you guys suppose it has anything to do with the colour?! Stoopid bee ruining our fun :censored: xxx

I have always thought that bees had a thing for purple flowers! But I'm in the US, so maybe the bees have different preferences!

Not sure if the color is the culprit, but maybe go a new direction. My buns really like drinking out of a dish, because they can get more water, and it's easier for me to clean. Also, they're drinking at a more natural angle for their head/neck. So maybe get a more plain colored bowl!

But I don't think the bee would sting your bun either. Bees are pretty laid back and only get defensive if they feel threatened, and rabbits aren't terribly threatening to a bee. :)

I've not heard about bees being attracted to certain colours but you could always cover the bottle with an old sock (not a blue one).

I use water bowls like sidereus7 because they are easier to fill and keep clean. Also, my lot seem to drink more from them.

Back