• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mixyi has my last bunny please read!!!

willow09

New Kit
i have just lost willow my lovely giant french bun to this and then shortly followed by lilly my lovely 6 month old belgium hare , i miss them so much , willow was jabbed but his breed didnt help him fight the mixi he was large and very pugged face and breathing and drinking became an issue !!
lilly fought for a further week but lost and now rosie lillys little sisiter who was the runt of her litter is still fighting she is upstairs away from the flys and eating and drinking , the vet said because two have now gone she is likely to follow but she is still grooming her self eating and drinking , and is in day 10 of the frist signs , she dosnt seem as swollen as the others did but she has the badly swollen eyes , can anyone tell be if she reaches 2 weeks and still eating do you think she is winning , she really is fighting but if she is suffering then i have to let her go the vet said only i can decide that but i really and hoping she is copeing just and coming out of it , the other two only went 8 days before they could fight no more ,
just hopeing for some experinces in getting their bun through , to give me that little bit more hope she is such a sweetie they all were . i relise if she comes through she will have a knocked imune systerm , and so i have decided to have her as a house bunny if she pulls through.
many thanks for reading my post and hope to hear about some bunnys that pulled through!!

Unfortunately myxi is quite a drawn out illness and it's often the secondary infections that prove fatal. The full nursing time seems to be about 4-6 weeks so you are still in quite early stages. If she's doing well that's good but she's not out of danger yet.

Was she vaccinated before the illness? That ups the odds but even so it's still quite serious.

Tamsin

Sadly the hares didnt get jabbed i havnt had them long it was on the list to do but i had willow castrated first and then poor lilly sufferd blot so its all been vets bills the past 3 months , i only wish i did get them done , but then willow was done and he came off worse poor chap, my vet wont send home med for them he wants to give them jabs every 3 days , i carnt keep taking her in its a 15 min drive and its to much for her she panics as she can not see and her breating gets bad , , i really hoped he would give me some baytril or something surley its better to be having something daily at home then being dragged in for jabs , just wish i could get some baytrill for her , i have phoned another vet and they say the same its so so stupid as when my harris hawk got ill they handed me baytrill over the counter , the vet i use for the ponys will give me jabs and meds over the counter but they are a large animal vet , its such a shame i am not putting her through it anymore to find she dies anyway poor girl she is going through enough i love her to much to see her suffer , i didnt relise it went on for so long i hoped that if she hit 2 weeks she would be seen as fighting and getting better what do i need to look out for in the secondry infection ,? many thanks for you kind help
emma x

Baytril given orally can upset the get so injectable baytril has that benefit. You could ask the vet if they'd be willing to show you how to inject. My vet gave me pre drawn syringes full before. Even if you did every other jab at home that might make it easier. If you know someone whose a nurse and could visit to do the jab that might persuade them if they won't show you.

Ive tryed my best friend is a head aand e nurse and her husband is a doctor but still no luck , i inject a cat that is in their care with incerlyn thats owned by a friend, but they still say no , have done alsorts of farm animals jabs being a farmers wife , its such a shame , i keep going to her and wounder if i am doing this to make me happy what would you do should i let her go with her sister and wilow now before she suffers anymore , i just dont know what to do its heart breaking to see her , and living where we do even if she got through it and had her jabbed she could still go through it again we back onto a big nature reserve with wild bunnys and a big lake where the biteing flys thrive , i will keep her indoors but not much of a life for a bunny who loved her sister so much and hooping around the garden all day!! i just dont know what to do for her i hate to think she is suffering would you say the kindest thing would be to let her go along side her best friend and her sister lilly, having her p.t.s seems so final but she is suffering .
thankyou for your kind advice.xx

Back