• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

urgent ...myxi treatment

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
anyone who has had a bun treat for myxi...

what treatment was given?

how long before improvement (if any ) was seen ?

where are you and which vets did you use ?

this is to help someone i have just spoken to on the telephone who isnt sure if they are getting the correct treatment or not .

Is the Rabbit Vaccinated (within the last 6 months) ?

Treatment : Antibiotics (usually Baytril to start with maybe progressing to Depocillin or Engemycin LA)
NSAID- Metacam
Topical eye treatment-Fucithalmic
Mucolytic-Bisolvon
Probiotic-Fibreplex
Prokinetics if necessary (Metoclopromide, Ranitidine)

Medicines Ditto as above.

Bun survived (despite at that time his myxi jab having been12 months prior to catching . . I now know better and do every 6 months).

High temperature in room where bun is is also meant to help. (although not to extent of heat exhaustion). jacks Jane may know more about this.

Also I did NOT remove the bonded partner - she never caught it and he was much much happier staying with her (though she used to lick the ointments off him!!)

Improvement : well at first got worse as the nodules all came out but turned the corner at about 6 days - I understand from others that this is often a turning point.

I am in Cambridge and my vet has treated several successfully that I know of.

Last edited:
thank you ... i have found another vet for this lady to take her buns to .. :wave:

am still interested in your replies though ...may come in useful in the future

Back