• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit having seizures...Update 29th August

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Vernon, my bun with the rubbish teeth and jaw abscess had a GA on Friday to remove a loose molar and was castrated at the same time. His recovery seemed to be going fine until yesterday, when he started having little interest in food (although is still drinking, and nibbling a bit of food occasionally) and started being wobbly on his feet.

He had a seizure this morning...flipping around and his eyes rolling back into his head. I took him straight to the vets, but only managed to see the non-rabbit savvy vet ( :roll: ). She gave him an anti-inflammatory/pain relief, and some panacur and baytril to take home, and said to keep an eye on him.

I tried to syringe feed him a bit of recovery food a while ago, and let him have a potter around the living room...but he went and had another seizure almost straight away. I'm worried that the syringe feeding may be distressing him and therefore setting him off on a seizure? :(

I called the vet again after the second seizure, but she said that there was nothing else she could do today. I feel so useless just watching him, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do?

Last edited:
Awww no.. I have no advice but I just wanted to say I hope vernon makes it. He really deserves to have longer with you :(:(:(

Personally I think he needs to be in a 'non sensory stimulating' environment for at least 24 hours from his last seizure. IE in a darkened room with no TV and minimal artificial lighting.

Given his abscess history he may well have lesions (abscesses) on his brain and again personally I'd want him on a different abx than Bayrtil. Depocillin probably and maybe Metronidazole aswell.
Unfortunately elongated tooth roots can result in brain abscesses :cry:

I'd also want access to Diazepam Spansules incase of Status epilepticus. I had an epileptic Bun for 7 years so I am just going on what 'emergency meds' I was given should he go into SE.

I hope things settle down for Vernon.

I'm so sorry Angela, I feel like I've let him down. He's just the most happy, friendly little bun and really doesn't deserve the rubbish life he's had :cry:

I was a bit dubious about giving him a GA, but the vet assured me it would be okay. I really should have gone with my gut instinct and said no :(

If he is coming out of them quickly and recoving from them Ok than unfortunately there is very little that can be done. If they continue for any length of time than the vet can give diazepam to bring them out of it.

You just need to make sure that they are Ok once they come round and there is no lasting damage.

I am so sorry this is happening, it is very distressing to witness :(

I'm so sorry Angela, I feel like I've let him down. He's just the most happy, friendly little bun and really doesn't deserve the rubbish life he's had :cry:

I was a bit dubious about giving him a GA, but the vet assured me it would be okay. I really should have gone with my gut instinct and said no :(

You haven't let him down Amy, you gave him a chance which is more than his last owner did :( 6 years he's lived in a 3ft hutch. I am so angry at her and her vets right now... she sent me a message actually asking how he was the other day (didn't ask about Fulani) and I told her that because he had been left for so long it was a case of managing whatever time he had left.

I'm so sorry I've put you through this :cry:

I really hope he can overcome this and at least have a little longer with you. Sending as many vibes as possible xx

Amy....I am so sorry :(
Vernon is an absolutely gorgeous boy and I'm so sorry this is happening to him!

As I said to you last night, you have nothing to feel bad about here. You are giving him the best chance he could possibly had. His **** owners are to blame for his non treatment over the years!!

Sending you massive vibes and hugs and you know where I am should you need anything ((hugs)) xx

Amy....I am so sorry :(
Vernon is an absolutely gorgeous boy and I'm so sorry this is happening to him!

As I said to you last night, you have nothing to feel bad about here. You are giving him the best chance he could possibly had. His **** owners are to blame for his non treatment over the years!!

Sending you massive vibes and hugs and you know where I am should you need anything ((hugs)) xx

Completely agree!!!!!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone :)

Vernon still wobbly but is holding his own, and has eaten some apple and brown bread just now. I'm going to have to syringe feed some recovery food to him before bedtime, so I hope it doesn't set off another seizure.

For some reason he's drinking and weeing a lot. I'm not sure whether this is because of pain or something to do with the seizures :?

Thanks for the good wishes everyone :)

Vernon still wobbly but is holding his own, and has eaten some apple and brown bread just now. I'm going to have to syringe feed some recovery food to him before bedtime, so I hope it doesn't set off another seizure.

For some reason he's drinking and weeing a lot. I'm not sure whether this is because of pain or something to do with the seizures :?

Do you think the fact he was eating hay last night was a prelude to these problems?

Poor boy, he really is a stunner. I hope things settle for him and for you xx

Poor Vernon :cry:

I hope he can recover. I've had a few buns urinate more frequently as a result of pain... not sure why though, but it's been the first thing i've noticed when they have been ill only to find it's secondary to another problem.

I really hope he has no further seizures xx

Just a quick update on Vernon....

He hasn't had any more seizures yet and seems to be a bit more stable on his feet today.

I had a good prod at his jaw abscess earlier, and it doesn't seem to be that causing him pain...in fact he doesn't show any response to it being touched at all. I can only wonder whether he's suffered some sort of neurological damage or the tooth extraction has caused problems? :?

He won't eat anything except tiny pieces of apple and brown bread...so I've been syringe feeding him a mixture of recovery food and baby food. I only managed to get about 20mls of food into him before he decided that he'd had enough and started spitting it out, but I suppose that's better than nothing :roll:

Back