• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scared something seriously wrong

tickles

Mama Doe
I asked advice in a previous post today about my bun who was neutered thursday.
He now asnt eatten in 24hrs or drank anything i have tried this morning soft pellets porridge soft cucumber even.He takes a few nibbles then thats it.He is very wet under the chin and front paws and his begining to have saw chin now.
He is now constantly grinding his teeth and seems to be making licking sounds.
Im so worried now we have appointment in an hr

I asked advice in a previous post today about my bun who was neutered thursday.
He now asnt eatten in 24hrs or drank anything i have tried this morning soft pellets porridge soft cucumber even.He takes a few nibbles then thats it.He is very wet under the chin and front paws and his begining to have saw chin now.
He is now constantly grinding his teeth and seems to be making licking sounds.
Im so worried now we have appointment in an hr

Have you checked his neuter wound, and does he have a history of dental problems...

poor bun :(

rabbit not well?

My rabbit is like that whenever I take her to the vet. I think its stress.
What I do is try and tempt her to eat - the best choice is fresh vegetables and hay. I usually choose kale, parsley and the green leafy tops of carrots as well as alfalfa or timothy hay. I find if i poke her gently in the face with the end of them, she will grab it and eat at little. I do that every few hours and it passes eventually. I dont think porridge is a good choice for rabbits - they have sensitive digestive systems... see www.rabbit.org for food choices and more info on rabbit digestive issues.

Meanwhile call your vet for advice and while you are talking to them see if they have critical care which is a bunny food supplement which you can force feed her to keep her GI tract moving.

A few nibbles is better than none at all! If bn was only done yesterday then prob still drugged I know how scary it is we panic all the time. But it does sound pretty normal after ops for some buns winston is like that. Best thing if your worried is speak to vet.
I would also recommend weetabix with water to soften mine love it after ops! If bun aint drinking try some pineapple juice or syringe some water in

try feeding

Try mashing some pellets in pineapple juice and feeding her that.. And if none of that works try a little banana, or a couple of raisins.. but not too much - you want her to start eating more, not make the problem worse by giving her too many treats.

I'm so sorry I missed this post.
Has your vet managed to get things under control? - pain relief, fluids, feeding by syringe if necessary, & meds to get the upper & lower gut moving again. If not, please see your vet as soon as you read this post.

Back