• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bark Chips

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone used bark chips in their runs?

Once the trio is bonded they will go into Peanut and Jellys shed :( But i want to make it different, as it was tailored to be perfect for Peanut being poorly, but of course that doesnt need to be the case anymore.

Ive taken up the rubber matting in the run, but will leave it on the floor of the shed and hope dom n pebs dont eat it, if they do ill remove it.

But because the run is on concrete and i have taken up the mats i was thinking would bark chips be okay on the floor of the run? Pebbles loves digging and rolling around so she would love it, but im worried they will see the run as a masshusive litter tray!

anyone got any photos/ideas?

I just have to make it look different somehow :(:(

I have used them in the past. The bunnies do nibble them which does worry me, although none had any ill effects from it. The worst thing is keeping it clean, it is impossible to sweep the poo out :(

:lol: Mine have hay in it and ever since Scarlett and Benji came they just see that as a massive litter tray :lol:

:lol: Mine have hay in it and ever since Scarlett and Benji came they just see that as a massive litter tray :lol:

i dont really want hay because everytime it rains id have to clean it all out, id rather the bark chips because if they are wet theyl dry out as normal.

Im not worried about them eating them as i doubt they will as none of m lot have any interest unless its willow normally, but i am worried its going to turn into a giant litter tray :lol:

I wouldn't use them, especially on top of concrete! Once the rabbits wee and poo on them (which they will do!) it will just become a whole big mess and will smell! We had them in part of the garden and the rabbits didn't eat them, but they don't withstand things like rain well. If it's on top of concrete there will be nowhere for the water to drain.

I''ve got gravel on half of my garden and despite being on top of soil that is starting to smell now :(

i dont really want hay because everytime it rains id have to clean it all out, id rather the bark chips because if they are wet theyl dry out as normal.

Im not worried about them eating them as i doubt they will as none of m lot have any interest unless its willow normally, but i am worried its going to turn into a giant litter tray :lol:

:lol: Oh yeah I wouldn't suggest hay in a run. I would have left carpet in there - it's just that what Ghostie wants - Ghostie has.
I decided to just put chips in it so within 2 days she ripped up the hay bale and spread it about in the run....... :roll:

I agree with Louise, just use a surface which is easy to clean. Bark chips have a strong smell when fresh out of the bag, and then they can get mould and mushrooms growing out of them, if they are not totally dry all the time.

oh i didnt realise that. hmmm.

I just dont think they like concrete as much :? but then i guess i sill have 7 x 4 foot zooplus runs so they can still go out on the grass every now and then. i think im just being fussy! :lol:

oh i didnt realise that. hmmm.

I just dont think they like concrete as much :? but then i guess i sill have 7 x 4 foot zooplus runs so they can still go out on the grass every now and then. i think im just being fussy! :lol:

:lol: Of course you are, you will be far more fussy than they will :lol:

How about leaving it as it is, and just adding a large plastic box for digging in, then they have the best of both worlds and its not too much to clean out.

I can understand you wanting to change things around a bit.

I've kept my bunnies on concrete, and they seem to have thrived.

I've read a lot of chicken forums and they all state that bark has a tendency to get mould spores which isn't good for chickens as they breath so close to the ground - I imagine it is much the same for bunnies :)

I'm sure you'll think of a way to enhance the run and make it a wonderful bunny playground...

Hannah

How about getting some nice green wood stain or something to give it a bit of a different look. Also you may not think it is the right time but how lovely would it be to have a picture of Peanut in the shed, so he could be looking over the other buns?

Could you paint it all a different colour? Go for a nice bright colour from the garden shades range? Could you have pockets of grass within the run?

Hannah

How about getting some nice green wood stain or something to give it a bit of a different look. Also you may not think it is the right time but how lovely would it be to have a picture of Peanut in the shed, so he could be looking over the other buns?

i think if i re painted it my mum and dad would go nuts, seeing as it was painted one month ago for peanut and jelly.

we are putting the poem and his photo inside the shed, we decided that this morning :)

Back