• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit got into fight and shredded claw into three pieces

Lymie

New Kit
Yeah, that about sums it up. Beazel is my new boy, and he's in a cage all by himself. They wont be bonded until my two babies are neutered. Lou, my lionhead, is the only one having issues with Beazel. Alfie couldn't care less.

I let Alfie and Lou free roam while I sleep (I have a night light so I can see what they're doing and the room is bunny proof.). I figured there wouldn't be a problem with injurys since there's a cage inbetween them. Lou does get really angry when Beazels out, and then beats the **** out of Alfie, so I have to be careful that Alfie isn't locked in the cage with him.

Alfie and Lou get free run of my room and Beazel gets the family room. That way there isn't territory issues. I also like to cover their cages with towels if I have one of the dogs for the night, so they don't flip their lids.

I woke up to Alfie trying to dig a hole to China in the corner (heaven forbid we use our digging box), tried to distract him with a loud noise, no luck. I got up to put him back in. Everything looked fine. Lou and Beazel were asleep. I bent down to put him in and there was a puddle of blood on the floor and some prints. It wasn't a whole lot, but it was enough to alarm me. I picked Lou up, all four paws had blood on them. The right front was the worst. It looked like a cone of congealed blood and fur and like his nail was missing. I checked him out, he wasn't stressed or bleeding anymore, so I put him back in and went back to bed. I figured I would check him out today and clean it. I woke up and checked him out and he cleaned himself up really well.

So, it's now 4 in the afternoon, I just went to give them their veggies and took a better look at his paw. I split the cone into three peices (they gave in willingly). He split it. I can SEE the quick. I think perhaps I should clip the loose part, clean the wound with alchol or peroxide and then put some triple anti-biotic? I just had a dog do that, but it wasn't split from the tip up like Lous. It was clean cut, and the quick was showing.

I would take him to the vet, but I just lost my job. Shame on me, I'm trying hard to get another, but I don't have enough to take him in. Lucky for me when I got Beazel (A college kid took him in even though he couldn't keep him as a favor for the clinic he worked at.) he came with two large bags of hay and a huge tub of pellets on top of my large bag of hay and tub of pellets. So they're set for food and chews/treats.

Sorry this went on so long. I just don't know what to do for him. He's not in any stress, doesn't appear pained, plays and snuggles happily, he's eating. I just don't want infection.

-Lymie

Back