• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Severe fur pulling whilst bonding, question

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
I am bonding Charlie, Benji (male) and Milly (female). Benji is 4 years old and just neutered last week. Now things are ok ish apart from Benji is the humping machine, and when he is humping he is pulling at the fur so hard like he is trying to tip the other bun onto their side. He has already had Milly squeal because of this, I am now trying to stop him from pulling so hard, as if the other bun runs off he is still holding on. At this rate he is going to cause a fight.

The others are neutered and they were all single before hand.

Am I doing the right thing stopping him from pulling so hard and is it just 4 years of lonely rabbit and hormones comig into play?

Bump :wave: Anyone know if it is hormones playing a part still in Benji's behaviour? I've stopped the bond as Mily was getting stressed and her body language was getting more tense. I'll try the bond again after I'm back off holidays.

As he was neutered only a week ago he is bound to be a little furry bag of hormones. It will take at least six weeks for these to die down. In the meantime your female is likely to get fed up with his behaviour and it may soon descend into a full-on fight.
I would halt the bonding for now and wait at least 5-6 weeks before trying again.
Sorry, I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear xx

With my male i introduced him to my already spayed female after a week, just to see how he was. He was still VERY hormonal, as much as before his neutor. He grunts and chases her around and tries mounting, and if he gets to mount pulls a little chunk of fur.

I knew it was too early, but wanted them to start to see each other, so over the past few weeks iv let them play together for a bit, as usually for the first 5 minutes hes fine, and then i seperate when he starts humping, as i dont wnat her getting annoyed. Its been 3 1/2 weeks now and hes really settled down. He still tries the occasional hump, but i have them out for an hour a time and itll be only once or twice he does it, and he gives up after a few seconds.

I heard it was 6 weeks too, but you could try the way im doing it, very small introductions a few times a day, getting longer as he learns to stop humping?

If your male is taking great chunks then you are definately doing the right thing, your female will get angry at some point, mine got fed up of it and decided to hump him back, a lot (although that could just be her saying shes boss, its hard to tell at this point).

Back