• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ryedale or Dawson hutches?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Can people post pictures of there Ryedale or Dawson hutches?

Looking into buying a double (two single, 6foot) hutch from one of them.

Just wanting to see pictures to get an idea, thanks xx

I've just put my Ryedale into use today for my bun and her new husbun. I'll try and put a pic of them and their hutch tomorrow.

It's 6ft and it really is a very nice, well made hutch:)

Here goes:

DSC00005-1.jpg

This is my 6ftx2x2 from Ryedale. this was taken when it was delivered, plonked in the garage!

I have a 5ft double story hutch from Ryedale. On this photo it has already been painted by us. We had just got the bunnies back from Janice, who did the bonding for us, so we let them have the top floor for the first few days only.

The hutch is very heavy and gets delivered in one piece. We could not fit it through our side gate, so had to carry it through the house. We would not have managed to get a 6 ft hutch around the corners. I am very happy with the quality of the wood, only the ramp isn't ideal, it is too narrow and the opening is not very big. Plus there is a piece of wood which gets in the way, so the bunnies need to "duck" if they don't want to hit their heads.

We bought it with the bolts (very strong) and the night shutters, and got the extra height version. It cost 300 Pounds altogether, but the night shutters were a waste of money, as we never use them. We made our own perspex rain/night shutters instead. Now I have seen a nice shed for 300 Pounds, wish I would have gone for that straight away. But if you don't have space for a shed, the Ryedale hutches are a good option and will last you a long time. ARC have a lot of foster hutches form them, too. I have never seen a Dawson hutch, so can't comment on them.

ryedale4.jpg

Hi

We bought a 6 ft x 2 levels hutch from Dawsons in May. It is identical to the one in the final picture on outdoor hutch page of their website. Here is the link:-

http://www.dawsonsanimalhousing.co.uk/harx1large.html

It was £400 with the run as well and including delivery. We have been absolutely delighted with it as it is very well made and our rabbits genuinely seem to enjoy being in it. We bought it as we had moved and had to leave their shed behind at our old house. I don't know why, but they hated their shed and we found it really hard to get them into it at night (they free range in the garden during the day). We have never had a problem getting them into the hutch and they even voluntarily go into it a few times during each day.

It is so roomy that there is plenty of room for toys, a litter tray, food and water bowls and even a fox-proof hedgehog house (we know we have foxes in the vicinity). And of course the two rabbits, and they are quite large! :)

Hope this is useful.

AHH!! That hutch in the picture was mine! I designed it and John built it for me! :D How funny :lol:

I was really pleased with my hutch and John was really helpful, even emailing a month later to check how I was getting on with it etc.

Unfortuantley my situation changed and I moved house meaning my boys had to become house buns but I couldn't bear to part with the hutch so it is at my parents house should i need it again in the future. I couldn't recommend Dawson's enough!

Hi

We bought a 6 ft x 2 levels hutch from Dawsons in May. It is identical to the one in the final picture on outdoor hutch page of their website. Here is the link:-

http://www.dawsonsanimalhousing.co.uk/harx1large.html

It was £400 with the run as well and including delivery. We have been absolutely delighted with it as it is very well made and our rabbits genuinely seem to enjoy being in it. We bought it as we had moved and had to leave their shed behind at our old house. I don't know why, but they hated their shed and we found it really hard to get them into it at night (they free range in the garden during the day). We have never had a problem getting them into the hutch and they even voluntarily go into it a few times during each day.

It is so roomy that there is plenty of room for toys, a litter tray, food and water bowls and even a fox-proof hedgehog house (we know we have foxes in the vicinity). And of course the two rabbits, and they are quite large! :)

Hope this is useful.

£400:shock::shock::shock: We have 6x2x2 triples from dawsons and they were £300, so sorry, am really glad you are pleased with your hutch but £400 for a double with a run on the side seems really steep in comparison.

What a coincidence! Many thanks for designing my fantastic hutch! And thanks from my buns, who love it!

Actually, it is worth adding that John at Dawson's Animal Housing is more than happy to incorporate any design changes that you want. He is very accommodating and a really nice guy. He is also a bun owner himself which is always quite reassuring.

The cost was bumped up by the delivery as we are in Cambridge! It was a bit steep but I had spent absolutely ages looking for exactly what I wanted so had to bite the bullet with the delivery charge.

:wave: I had extra thick wood, sliding bolts, trap door and wood treatement and it came to £269:shock: but it is worth every penny, it's beautiful and very well made. So well made that you cannot dismantle it to get it through doorways etc:shock:please measure PROPERLY! As someone else said, it is very, very heavy.

Another thing i like about it is that the mesh (which is very taut) is put on the inside so bunny teefs can chew the wood:)

WOW fab thanks everyone!!

I guess price varies so i will ring John once money is sorted.

How long roughly does it take from buying to delivery?

I *think* they do a route every Sunday. They call you on the Friday to say they will deliverted that coming Sunday. I rang on a Thursday and was told that the van was full for that Sunday which i thought would have been briliant service! I did say that i was in no hurry at all as i didn't need it for a good month or so, so it ended up coming six weeks after i ordered it which was fine with me.

It does say on the site that if you are in a hurry for it they will try to accommodate.

It did make me laugh when the little flat bed van turned up with all these hutches on:lol:

I *think* they do a route every Sunday. They call you on the Friday to say they will deliverted that coming Sunday. I rang on a Thursday and was told that the van was full for that Sunday which i thought would have been briliant service! I did say that i was in no hurry at all as i didn't need it for a good month or so, so it ended up coming six weeks after i ordered it which was fine with me.

It does say on the site that if you are in a hurry for it they will try to accommodate.

It did make me laugh when the little flat bed van turned up with all these hutches on:lol:

Ah right, thats brill, thanks alot huni xx

Back