• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange post neuter advice given

lunar6769

Alpha Buck
Hope u can help - apologies for typos - on mobile.
Have been told not to give hay for 10 days - not to sleep on
she has soft bedding but they said no hay to eat until 10 days.

In case it sticks in he wound- surely she will be ill if she has no
hay - she eats
very few pellets or gets excess cecotropes.
She has veges and hebs but I am very worried about this
advice.

Yep, this does seem strange advice :?

I have just had my female bun neutered, and although she has been sleeping on towels covered with puppy training pads, I have been providing her with plenty of hay to eat. Buns need plenty of hay to maintain healthy teeth and digestion. That said, I have been giving it to her in bowls and have been regularly clearing out the hutch, so it does not get covered in bits of hay - she does have a tendency to make a real mess with it!

I totally agree with your vet saying that she should not be bedded on hay until after she is properly healed, as I imagine it would be pretty nasty if the hay were to aggravate the wound. But it is still important that she has access to plenty of hay to eat. I would just try and keep it as tidy as possible! :)

Ooh, also I should mention that our vets were trying to tempt the little one with hay immediately after the op. Can't imagine that they would have done that if they were concerned about the hay getting into the wound.

Thank you for reply - our boy when done ages ago
had paper towels as bedding
and hay in bowls. Was going to do same for Miffy. Think
I will on instinct and your advice.
Thank you again.
:)

I'm sure they mean no hay for her to lie on as it may irritate her wound.Considering 90% of a buns diet should be hay then they wouldnt advise not giving her any to eat:? :? Pop it in a hay rack and keep the hutch floor clear

I bed mine on vet bed and give them a hay rack with hay, I wouldn't put straw in, because of it sticking to the wound, but I keep them indoors for the first 3 days/nights so I can monitor them, but I've never been told to not give hay to eat:?

It seemed so odd to me too - I asked her twice - are you sure you mean no hay but she kept saying not for 10 days!!!
However Miffy is back in her soft bed with a bowl of hay in the run near the bed so that she hasn't got too far to walk!

Fluffy is also so pleased to see her he gave her a little groom and then she lay down next to him and closed her eyes!
We are keeping them in closed off sections for the night as we didn't put soft stuff in the main hutch bed yet.

Single beds tonight guys :lol:

Back