• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for a fidgety bun!! (Nail clipping)

kerry-123

Mama Doe
I've just spent the last couple of days clipping buns/guinea pigs nails and all has been good (doing Joey and Buddy today) that is until OLIVER :evil: I'm going to kill him :lol::lol: I've clipped two nails on his back foot he is the figdiest bunny EVER!!! It's ridiculous how can I get him to calm down none of my other buns are anything like him (awww Daisy is such a breeze she just sits there quietly :lol:) but yeah need some tips! I'm going mental trying to clip him!!

Have you tried a towel? Or how about a 2nd person? Rambi is a wriggler, I have to hold him fast and get hubby to trim his nails. Pathetic really, he sits still to be groomed but hates it when his tummy is on display.

Good luck!

I've always found it almost impossible to clip Coco's I usually try food as a distraction but he scoffs so fast I only get one done!

But I've found a great new way that works for me. Put him in his cage and boyfriend holds some food close to the bars, Coco stretches up at the bars and his nails are spread out and easy to clip - he soon caught on though and leant his body forward without touching the cage :roll: Hope that helps for his front nails!!

Last edited:
mine are minilops. i hold them like babies in the crook of my arm and their little nails stick out most conveniently. it only takes a few minutes. they aren't 'tranced' and they don't object unless i squeeze on the quick - i check with them before i cut.

how people go on with giant breeds, i have no idea. ask them politely for a paw?

i hold mine like a baby in my arms (on there back) and they go into a trance even the one of mine that hates being picked up doesnt fidgit!

Last edited:
Mine are used to being turned upside down from a young age.
I do this, and sometimes cover their face with a towel.

You could also sit them on some mesh, and try get under and clip their nails.

Back