• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Rabbit Food?

scatter

Alpha Buck
I have always fed my buns rabbit mixes in the past. My current two, five months and six months old are on Russel Rabbit (obviously in addition to hay, hay, hay!) at the mo. However, I am wanting to change this to a complete food (pellets).

Has anybody got any recommendations on the best food? I know this can be a personal choice, but I was wondering about things like food that causes the least stomach problems, etc.

Proper Food 4 Pets™ Natural Rabbit HIFI 27.40% 14.25% 7.60%
Allen & Page Natural Rabbit Pellets 23% 12% 3.25%
Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel 16% 12% 4% 0.9%
Supa Rabbit Excel Junior 16% 16% 4.5% 0.9%
Supa Rabbit Excel Lite 18% 12% 2.5% 0.9%
Supreme Science Selective 19% 14% 4%
Oxbow Bunny Basics T (Adult Rabbits) 25-28% 14% 0.35-0.8%
Bunny Basics 15/23 (Young Rabbits) 22-25% 15% 0.5-0.8%

I also found this table of nutritional contents with the first figure being the fibre content - the higher the better I suppose?

Yes, I find Science Selective to be a good food. They seem to like eating it and have never had any upset stomachs so far.

Remember to make changes very gradually.

Mine used to be on Science Selective and they loved it. They're on Wagg now and seem to like it as well, it's got 17% fibre and 13% protein

Thank you both - Science Selective does seem a good one. I wonder if anybody has any experience of Oxbow?

I use Beaphar pellets. The fibre content is 22% off the top of my head.
My bunny really likes it, anyway. The pellets are all different shapes and colours which is a bit weird, but they all have the same stuff in XD

I'm considering changing to Excel, but the lower fibre content is putting me off... It would be much easier to get hold of. At the moment I have only found one petshop that sells Beaphar and it's a bit out of the way from where I live...

I use Oxbow T, my two love it even though they didn't at first. It has lower calcium in than SS I think. Exel gave one of mine a sticky bum.

Edit - one of mine is a non hay eater :roll: so that is why I got it as it is high in fibre and based on timothy hay. Expensive but helped to sort the tummy out.

I also just noticed that Supreme (i.e. Science Selective) has alfalfa in it and the Oxbow has Timothy - so does this mean that the Oxbow would be preferable - I am really confused now!!

My lot are fed on A&P Breeder and Grower's Pellets.
I think it's the best thing since sliced bread! They were on Natural Pellets but they lost a bit of condition. Now they have put it back on.

Mine are all on Oxbow T, they love it and it lasts ages. I only give them a very small amount. :wave:

I use Allen and Page natural rabbit pellets. I tried excell but they are so expensive - especially when you have a lot of rabbits. they love them and always eat all of them each day so no wastage either.

Back