• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Looks Lifeless

FTH09

New Kit
Today my rabbit has looked really lifeless, yesterday he was running around full of energy apart from moving from place to place he doesn't seem to want to move at all.

He's a house rabbit, and usually if you pet him he'd move his head up, but today he's just sitting there and he looks unwell.

The first thing that comes to mind is that he's gone blind, he never had good vision anyway, however since putting him in his cage he hasn't moved and is just sitting by his water bottle, whilst earlier we gave him a bowl of water drank out of it. However usually he's very ultra clean, he cleans himself whenever someone or something touches him for a certain amount of time, but tonight he's just sitting there with a wet mouth.

I've looked at his bottom area and it looks fine however he won't open his mouth, but that also seems fine, one thing I have noticed is that I put some food into his cage earlier and he doesn't look like he's touched it. However apart from that, when holding him as usual he tried to run off and he moved about on the chair fine but slowly.

Maybe he's just not feeling well today, I'm not sure, or maybe its his old age, as he's 6 in about a weeks time.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Oh no. I personally can't take him anywhere tonight :(

I'm just gonna have to hope he makes the night and do something in the morning :(

Why can't you take him? If its transport you'll have to get a taxi, he could die if not

I'm 18, parents are asleep and they told me he'd be fine, which isn't the case, I haven't exactly got the cash on me either :(

Thats the way they are, personally I'd have taken him if I could.

I should think all vets take credit/debit cards. Or you could ask the taxi to stop by a cash machine on the way. He really does need to be seen tonight hun :?

I'm 18, parents are asleep and they told me he'd be fine, which isn't the case, I haven't exactly got the cash on me either :(

Thats the way they are, personally I'd have taken him if I could.

He MUST see a vet now.

Not trying to worry you but it could only be a matter of hours before it is too late.

Twll your parents it is their reponsibility to look after him and would be a welfare issue not to.

Most vets will take credit cards/cheques.

wake your parents and ask them to take you. surely they will do this for you, even if they may be mad about it for a while. that has to be better than your rabbit dying, and to be honest, he could. he may not make it to morning and you would never forgive yourself.

failing that, get a taxi and get cash on the way, or take a credit/debit card with you.

i've got a taxi before even having no money. i didn't tell the driver until i got there. i got out, said i would be back in a minute, got the buns in the vets, went back out and explained it was an emergency and they could have died if i hadn't acted then and there. what can they say to that? i spoke to the taxi office and explained and they let me take the payment in to them the next day.

as for the vets, i let them treat the buns and then told them i didn't have all the money on me and they let me pay the next day too.

this is potentially his life on the line, so don't let anything stop you from getting him to the vets.

good luck x

OMG. I do so hope he will be ok and it's not to late. I would even walk miles for my buns and i did call the vet out one night. I'm praying that poor bun makes it.:(

If you are 18 you are an adult and therefore you are responsible for the welfare of your Rabbit.

I hope the poor Bunny receives Veterinary attention today, assuming its not already too late

T_T Maybe he want somebody

Well i guess you should try to adopt another rabbit preferable female since your rabbit is a male isn't it? Maybe he just want to play with someone that is why he don't like to eat his food that you have provided to him...Or maybe he got sick..don't you notice other changes with him aside from those things? Hmppp i really don't want that my rabbits will then suffer like that too...That's why i used to my free time with them... Maybe your rabbit were just bored?

Well i guess you should try to adopt another rabbit preferable female since your rabbit is a male isn't it? Maybe he just want to play with someone that is why he don't like to eat his food that you have provided to him...Or maybe he got sick..don't you notice other changes with him aside from those things? Hmppp i really don't want that my rabbits will then suffer like that too...That's why i used to my free time with them... Maybe your rabbit were just bored?

To OP please ignore the above post this is rubbish, I hope your bunny has now been seen by a vet.

Sounds like an underlying problem possibly dental has caused your bunny to go into stasis, which is very serious.

Rabbits can also live up to 10 plus years, so 6 is a good age but I wouldn't say old.

Back