• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about Lionhead rabbits

beki

Mama Doe
Thinking of potential friends for ruby now I ahve got Matt to agree to a companion for her, going to try and book her in for a spey first week in september.

Just wondering about lionheads. i want something similar in size to ruby, firstly becasue she has got to share a hutch with him, and secondly she is quite a nice size, also matt doesn't want a big bunny squashing her! so..i was wondering what kind of size do lion heads normally get? i saw some in a pet shop the other day, apparently 7 weeks old, these were crossed with lops and they about 3 quaters the size of ruby!

Also matt seems to not like lionheads as he has heard from his mum that they don't live long and he doesn't want ruby to be left friendless, i have told him he is just being silly as there is no reason why a lionhead should have a shorter life than another bunny.

Went into pets at home last week (i have been banned by matt) as i say two gorgeous lops in the adoption section, he said no, we can't have them becasue firstly, you can't take one and leave the other (i would ahve had both! i couldn't have left one) and secondly they are twice the size of ruby and might squash her!

What breed is Ruby? As others had said contact the rescues before you buy a bunny from a petshop. They will help you find one that is suitable and help with the bonding.

Most of the lionheads in rescue centres and petshops are actually crossbreeds, as the lionhead gene is a dominant gene: if you cross a lionhead with another type of rabbit you will probably get a lionhead. Therefore just because the rabbit has a funny hairstyle it doesn't mean it will have any particular health problems any more than any other rabbit :)
Eta: If you provide a health diet, plenty of exercise space and minimal stress you will be giving yourself the best chance of having healthy rabbits :)

Last edited:
thanks! i did think it wa a bit silly saying a lionhead would live a shorter life!

Ruby is a Thrianta, i would like her to choose her own companion from a rescue, just maybe if i steer her towards a lionhead! the hair is so cute!

really though, she is a very friendly bunny (she loves the cats1) and I am sure she would like all bunnies presented to her as friends, i will probably come back with a whole load of bunnies!!

Hi I have four lionheads (crossed breed I think) and the only thing I would say is that they are hard work trying to keep the fur from becoming matted .....

Where are you? We have lots of lovely bunnies including lionheads up for adoption and we'd be happy to do your bonding for you. We = ARC in Twickenham

Thriantas are stunning! :love:
Google 'Thrianta'
They're a small, cobby, rare breed that are a lovely red/orange colour

thanks about the compliments to rubys pics, i will have to post more, as she has got a lot bigger and more red!

yes i am in nottingham.

I did wonder about the grooming bit....are they really hard work?

True lionheads, from what I understand, are a cross between netherland dwarfs and angoras.

So, however much of that angora is dominant will determine how much work you have to do with grooming. My Eddison is half lionhead, and I brush him every other day. During his sheds, I brush him multiple times a day, otherwise he ends up ingesting a lot of it. Just make sure to give lots of veggies to keep their digestive tracts well hydrated, along with lots of fresh water.

But all that should be done for any breed of rabbit. Just be very careful with how much hair they ingest.

And definitely check out rescues! They can give you lots of great information. :)

I have a lionhead X and he loses hair like nobody's business! He has a skirt and huge mane. I trim both of these regularly (once a week or so) to keep them nice and short. I also trim around his belly and bum so the fur has less chance of matting and doesn't get as dirty. If I didn't do this I would have to groom him everyday and he hates his tummy being touched. I reckon regular haircuts is kinder!

Emma

I recently rescued a baby lionhead. Definately not a true lionhead, he's too big and the ears are too long, but he has a single mane, and poses like a show lionhead :lol:

Since he's only a baby, and still has his baby fur, I thought I'd trim his mane. Then when the adult fur grows, ill see if that needs trimming. His mane at the moment is only a few tufts (And he's also got two little tufts on each side of his tail :lol: :love: ) so i doubt ill have to cut it that much, as I often groom my buns :)

I have two lionheads called Tyson and Bruno and they are the most gentle natured bunnies you could wish to meet (hence their names lol)
They have never bitten (unlike their sister Sparkle who is not a lionhead) they are abolutely gorgeous. They only have little manes so not a problem grooming them and although they have had dental problems so do any other buns. Both were rescues (all 3 were) and I'd urge you to try a local rescue and see what buns there are there. You will fall in love with one as will your bunny (lionhead or otherwise).
I don't think you should go with any preconceived ideas just see who is there!

Back