• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lola's ear, help please. (pics)

Jemadra

New Kit
Lola is a 15 week old lop cross. I have only had her for 3 weeks. I posted this pic the night before last of Lola's ear.

P220809_0155-2.jpg

It started as a white crusty patch . I am completely new to this and making lots of rookie mistakes. It was suggested on the forum that it was probably mites so I bought Anti-Parasite Spot On for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs by Beaphar which according to the description is just ivermectin. But when I got up this morning her ear looked like this.

P23-08-09_1106-1.jpg

I am assuming it's because she has been scratching at it but as i said i am very inexperienced. I was planning to take her to the vets tomorrow anyway for a once over and vaccs etc. I don't get paid until tomorrow and don't think I can find the money for an emergency trip today. But I don't want anything to happen to her. She is eating fine and her mood etc is great. Any advice appreciated.

Hmmm, that does look sore :( You are right in going to the vets tomorrow as she will need a proper look at.

In the meantime, put some vaseline on the wound, keep it clean and then apply a smear of vaseline - this will help the wound if Lola goes to scratch it even more. Keep applying the vaseline and make sure you put some on before you put her to bed tonight.

Let us know how you get on at the vets tomorrow :D

awe poor little lola.sorry i have no advice on this one as it is not something that mine have ever suffered with(makes a change:shock:)hope it clears up soon.hopefully the vets will get her sorted.x

Back