• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

jose's not eating as much.....

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
she's still eating her hay and still eats her greens (even tho it does take her all day, but it always has done! Lol) but doesnt seem to be eating as many pellets. Could this be a reaction to the vhd injection or the metacam they gave her cos of her limp?

Is this the rabbit that you brought inside/have in a cage?

It may be that she is fretting because of a change in her routine/environment. I would see if she settles but if she stops eating completely I would take her to the vets. Has she had her teeth checked at all?

I have a rabbit that is prone to joint problems, I tend to not confine him too when he is limping because he gets very unsettled. I just stop him from climbing stuff and make sure he is moving around on soft ground all the time.

I'd also suggest having her teeth checked.

Not eating pellets was the first sign of Tinkerbells teeth problems.

Is this the rabbit that you brought inside/have in a cage?

It may be that she is fretting because of a change in her routine/environment. I would see if she settles but if she stops eating completely I would take her to the vets. Has she had her teeth checked at all?

I have a rabbit that is prone to joint problems, I tend to not confine him too when he is limping because he gets very unsettled. I just stop him from climbing stuff and make sure he is moving around on soft ground all the time.

She's always been an indoor rabbit, she used to live in a 5ft by 6ft nic cube set up, but yesterday we put her back into her indoor cage for a bit whilst we were sorting out her bunny room, which she's now in and its about 8ft by 9ft.

When did she have her VHD, my buns will sometimes be off their food the day after, is she sitting hunched up or lying down in a different way to usual?

When did she have her VHD, my buns will sometimes be off their food the day after, is she sitting hunched up or lying down in a different way to usual?

She had it Thursday morning and developed a limp on Friday night, she's not moving around as much, but when she does she's like she normally is - running everywhere! She's currently sitting all puffed up, which she normally does, but maybe not this much.

I would keep a close eye on her because sitting puffed up can indicate the start of tummy troubles (Smokey has GI stasis quite often, I can now tell by looking at the way she is sitting whether something is brewing).

I would try to get her to hop around a bit and try to keep tempting her with grass or her favourite veg.

I would keep a close eye on her because sitting puffed up can indicate the start of tummy troubles (Smokey has GI stasis quite often, I can now tell by looking at the way she is sitting whether something is brewing).

I would try to get her to hop around a bit and try to keep tempting her with grass or her favourite veg.

Ok thanks for the advice, how will I know if she has GI Stasis and what do i do if she does have it please?

I'll go let her out and get her moving

Ok thanks for the advice, how will I know if she has GI Stasis and what do i do if she does have it please?

I'll go let her out and get her moving

When rabbits have GI stasis they stop eating and their guts start to shut down. It is really impotant that they get treatment quickly if this happens because otherwise it becomes fatal.

Generally rabbits with GI stasis stop eating (and pooing) and refuse to be tempted with their favourite foods. They also tend to stop moving about and they either lie very 'flat' (but not relaxed) or hunch themselves up, almost like they are holding their tummy. If your rabbit has stopped eating you really do need to get them to a vets ASAP (it cannot wait until tomorow) where they need to try to establish why the rabbit has stopped eating and give the correct treatment. It is essential that the rabbit gets pain relief because if a rabbit has a painful tummy they will not eat.

Like I said, keep a close eye on her and make sure that she is moving about (although if she has a bad leg you will need to be really careful not to make it worse) and eating on her own. If she stops eating, she will need to see a vet.

When rabbits have GI stasis they stop eating and their guts start to shut down. It is really impotant that they get treatment quickly if this happens because otherwise it becomes fatal.

Generally rabbits with GI stasis stop eating (and pooing) and refuse to be tempted with their favourite foods. They also tend to stop moving about and they either lie very 'flat' (but not relaxed) or hunch themselves up, almost like they are holding their tummy. If your rabbit has stopped eating you really do need to get them to a vets ASAP (it cannot wait until tomorow) where they need to try to establish why the rabbit has stopped eating and give the correct treatment. It is essential that the rabbit gets pain relief because if a rabbit has a painful tummy they will not eat.

Like I said, keep a close eye on her and make sure that she is moving about (although if she has a bad leg you will need to be really careful not to make it worse) and eating on her own. If she stops eating, she will need to see a vet.

She's eaten some pellets since my post earlier on this morning which is good, but i'll deffo keep an eye on her. She's using her leg more now too :D

I can't believe how much worry and trouble such a little bunny causes lol

She's eaten some pellets since my post earlier on this morning which is good, but i'll deffo keep an eye on her. She's using her leg more now too :D

I can't believe how much worry and trouble such a little bunny causes lol

Glad she is munching a bit more, although if she continues to seem a bit off with her food I would ask your vet to check her teeth just in case.

Rabbits are such a worry:roll:!

Glad she is munching a bit more, although if she continues to seem a bit off with her food I would ask your vet to check her teeth just in case.

Rabbits are such a worry:roll:!

Ok will do, thanks for your help :D

She's now running around under the kitchen table, dodging in and out of the table and chair legs lol

Back