• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox on the loose

Brennan

Alpha Buck
I saw a fox last night roaming at the front of the house, I was pretty nervous about it getting round the back as we have two bunnies in the garden...

Anyway our neighbour just knocked and said she heard the bunnies screaming, I am so worried about them....They seemed ok when I went out to check them active, not covering in shock but I feel awful they could see/smell the fox! I know that the fox will be back now it knows we have bunnies :cry:

There is no way the fox can get in their cage as we have a Ryedale cage, I have covered the run in Tarpulin and wire to stop the fox jumping on the top, and covered the back of the run so they cannot see out :(

Is there anything we can do to stop the fox coming in our garden?

Last edited:
We have foxes living in next door's garden and they come in the garden every night, sometimes right next to the hutch, and this has been like this for about a year now. Don't know how you'll stop them coming in, they can dig under fences, they can jump over 6ft high fences.

Some ultrasonic dog/cat scarers (the expensive ones) have settings that are only audible to certain species and won't upset bunny hearing but are apparently quite effective with foxes. Can you not secure your garden off? Maybe some prickly fast-growing climbers up fences, or allow hedges to grow higher? Maybe even a perimeter electric fence around your bun's enclosure of some kind?? So fox can't even get close? Covering buns up at night but leaving enough for ventilation may be one idea, although on a hot night it might be stuffy for them?

To discourage foxes from my garden I attached 3 foot high roll of green wire fencing to the top of the fence, using wooden post nailed to the fence posts to keep it taught. This raised the height to around 8 feet or higher in places. I also initially cut the top row of wire so that it was left slightly spikey although probably best not to do this if your neighbour has cats, they won't thank you.
The wire is difficult for the foxes to climb. I wouldn't say it completely stops them coming in (nothing does :roll:) but it makes it more of a hassle and my garden is no longer a fox run :)

Not sure if its true but I'm sure I read that getting a man to wee around the perimeter of your garden stops them from coming in.

Could you bring the buns inside maybe?

Not sure if its true but I'm sure I read that getting a man to wee around the perimeter of your garden stops them from coming in.

Could you bring the buns inside maybe?

Sadly human male pee worked before we had urban foxes. They've no fear of humans at all now.

I brought mine inside at night just because of foxes. I knew he was 99.99% safe outside - he didn't & was terrified. Rabbits rarely scream - only when really terrified.

To discourage foxes from my garden I attached 3 foot high roll of green wire fencing to the top of the fence, using wooden post nailed to the fence posts to keep it taught. This raised the height to around 8 feet or higher in places.

We do this to keep cats out the garden! It works for us, but no foxes here luckily.

We have foxes living in next door's garden and they come in the garden every night, sometimes right next to the hutch, and this has been like this for about a year now. Don't know how you'll stop them coming in, they can dig under fences, they can jump over 6ft high fences.

Surely the stress of this can't be good for Molly?

Thanks so much for all your replies

I had the worst nights sleep thinking about the bunnies :(

I could bring them in, we do have an indoor cage but they would be locked in for the night and it seems a bit mean as we could not let them roam free

My neighbour was the one who heard the 'noise' so we don't know for sure whether the buns were 'screaming' - even thinking of them being so terrified to make the noise upsets me :cry:

we have this hutch

3414930289_f4290a8e7c_m.jpg

As you can see the buns have access to the run which I may restrict overnight as I can close the doors just for the time being and cover their views outside just in case...

I checked the cage - there are no scratches etc but I would just never forgive myself if they died of fright

I have just finished an article for Rabbiting On (RWA magazine) on this very topic of keeping foxes from the garden and the rabbits. It will not come out until the Winter issue BUT I am sure they will not mind if I give 'previews' . Trouble is its a 1,800 word article - so not really the sort of thing to post as a message here .

The article covers different fox deterrants, everything from bolts to mesh size, fox watches (sonic deterrants) to movement detector water jets, up to electric strips and electric fences.

Anyone any ideas how I can get it to people interested without upsetting Rabbitting On by publishing generally on the web before they publish in the magazine??

I guess I could send it as a word doc to anyone that PMs me?? I would have to remove the piccies but the advice would still be there.

OK I have just created an iwork document - if anyone wants to read the article please PM me and I will send you an 'invitation to view'. It has a restriction that you cannot download.

parsnip bun

Oh they are everywhere i have no idea how to keep the blooming things away, they killed my friends chickens a month ago, jumped my sisters 6ft fence and got into her run 2 weeks ago at 7am killing her bunnies and then last week i heard someones 4 month old kitten that lives indoors got out the window one morning and a fox killed that, they found its blood covered collar and bits all round the garden :(

I could bring them in, we do have an indoor cage but they would be locked in for the night and it seems a bit mean as we could not let them roam free

As you can see the buns have access to the run which I may restrict overnight as I can close the doors just for the time being and cover their views outside just in case...

I checked the cage - there are no scratches etc but I would just never forgive myself if they died of fright

Sorry for trimming down the quote and not wording this very well but if you're thinking of restricting access to the run overnight then it'd be the same as bringing them inside where you'd know they were totally out of harms way.

But then its also a bit of a catch 22 I guess as the change in environment could upset them and then where do you draw the line with having them indoors/outdoors - I assume Mr Fox isn't just a night time visitor?

Oh they are everywhere i have no idea how to keep the blooming things away, they killed my friends chickens a month ago, jumped my sisters 6ft fence and got into her run 2 weeks ago at 7am killing her bunnies and then last week i heard someones 4 month old kitten that lives indoors got out the window one morning and a fox killed that, they found its blood covered collar and bits all round the garden :(

Thats horrible :( I'm sorry :( Poor bunnies and kitten :(

I close the hatch to the run now at night, secure it with tarpaulin and bricks and have a fox watch.

I also sleep with the window open every night, if the buns hear anything they will thump to wake me up (they are right below the window).... whether it be foxes, toads, hedgehogs or even just the rain!

I've found that the fox watch deterrent really works. Last October time the fox would be round two or three times a night. Now it only ever comes into the garden once every few months. It does take a few weeks for the fox to learn to stay out of the garden though.

It is mega stressful and I did consider giving my bunnies up when the fox first started visiting but if you are just as persistent as the fox then you can get through it.

(However, if your buns are screaming with fear then I think you should bring them inside, at least until you can get the fox to stay away.)

That is absolutely awful :cry: :cry:

I close the hatch to the run now at night, secure it with tarpaulin and bricks and have a fox watch.

I also sleep with the window open every night, if the buns hear anything they will thump to wake me up (they are right below the window).... whether it be foxes, toads, hedgehogs or even just the rain!

I've found that the fox watch deterrent really works. Last October time the fox would be round two or three times a night. Now it only ever comes into the garden once every few months. It does take a few weeks for the fox to learn to stay out of the garden though.

It is mega stressful and I did consider giving my bunnies up when the fox first started visiting but if you are just as persistent as the fox then you can get through it.

(However, if your buns are screaming with fear then I think you should bring them inside, at least until you can get the fox to stay away.)

I have to say that I have only been told by my neighbours they were 'squeeking' now I have absolutely no reason *not* to believe her but it's not something I have heard - or seen so I am on duty tonight I have covered the opening with tarpaulin and bricks and I am waiting for the slightest sound...

I am looking at the foxwatches as we speak....

Back