• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dentals question

Mine have had both.

My vets preferred method is to use gas only (not full GA) and I've been extremely happy with all the dentals done this way to date :D

Amber had a very light GA which was for 15 minutes. (I don't know more than that as i was too shocked and upset at the time:oops:)

thank you:wave:

jane, thanks for the link - i've been scouring the forum for days to find a thread like this before posting one myself:oops::roll:

Conscious dentals (for the molar teeth) are very dangerous as there is an artery at the back of the mouth. Bunny only has to flinch and the artery can easily be caught = lots of bleeding :cry:

Rabbits can have their incisors burred conscious as many will sit still for it.
Doing dentals 'under a light g/a' can be dodgy too as when rabbits are gassed down with no premedication, they are very likely to hold their breath (anaesthetic gas smells)- this is obviously not good for them. Also, anaesthetic gas wears off pretty quickly so the vet will get so much filed, bunny starts to wake up so vet has to stop - give more gas and then resume filing/burring. This can actually make the anaesthetic longer (and therefore more dangerous) thn just giving a normal dose of g/a and getting on with it.

Mine always has a quick GA for tiny molar spurs.
Reasons - physical risk of conscious dentals, outlined above, & psychological trauma of conscious dental.
Last time - teeth checked at 11.00 am surgery done, & home at 4.30 pm as bright as a button.

Conscious dentals (for the molar teeth) are very dangerous as there is an artery at the back of the mouth. Bunny only has to flinch and the artery can easily be caught = lots of bleeding :cry:

Rabbits can have their incisors burred conscious as many will sit still for it.
Doing dentals 'under a light g/a' can be dodgy too as when rabbits are gassed down with no premedication, they are very likely to hold their breath (anaesthetic gas smells)- this is obviously not good for them. Also, anaesthetic gas wears off pretty quickly so the vet will get so much filed, bunny starts to wake up so vet has to stop - give more gas and then resume filing/burring. This can actually make the anaesthetic longer (and therefore more dangerous) thn just giving a normal dose of g/a and getting on with it.

:thumb:

Sorry, my mistake, 'light GA' is what i called it rather than the vet. What i meant was bun was under for about 15 mins rather than having something like a spay which i believe to be nearly an hour. Apologies:oops:

I know people are scared of putting buns under but I feel its a risk that has to be took. I personally wouldnt like to be left with strangers then awake while they started scraping away at my teeth and feeling every movement you know what its like yourself at dentist if getting tooth out etc.
Im not as scared as I used to be as if going under was so risky why wold they have allowed Angel to go under every other day for a couple of weeks (flushing) she goes for dentals every couple of months due to mouth disease but she is one who as soon as she is back home she eating running around real happy.
Winston however takes a good week to become his cheeky self again and doesnt eat the first day.

Conscious dentals here..out of the approx 250 dentals we've had done over the years had two bunnies who have had their cheeks nicked..both fine..given painkiller and anti biotics and no lasting effects..and before this is jumped on by the anti conscious members, this happens with ga dentals too

We've had one rabbit have a ga dental in the last 9 months and she died:cry:

If you search threads on here you will find a lot of people who have lost rabbits to ga dentals or had bunnies taking a long time to recover..I've yet to meet a person who has lost a bunny to a conscious dental
Our rabbits are back in the carriers eating within 2 mins of having the dental but you do need a vet who is good at this practice and our vet will give a whiff of gas if bunny is not easy to handle
and if dental disease is extreme then a ga will be needed to assess and treat
the conscious ones are for quick exams and molar spurs

Last edited:
Always had dentals done under GA, but we wouldn't rule out a conscious dental if there was a good reason to go down that route. I think we have had around 15 dentals done under GA this year all on elderly bunnies and they have all recovered fine. However for some we opted for gas only GA:)

thanks for all the input. i've read thro the original thread - that occurred around the time i became eric's mummy, hence the reason i don't remember it.

Agree with Jill...I've never had a problem with conscious dentals and find them less traumatic for the rabbit than a GA dental, simply for the fact that they don't need to be admitted to the vets and are in and out in minutes. Even nervous rabbits are completely unfazed by the whole thing :D

I've only ever had GA dentals,I read once that although bunnies appear unfazed by conscious dentals serum cortisone/cortisol [cant remember which] levels are raised following conscious dentals which indicates that the bunnies were under a great deal of stress,bunnies being good at hiding how they feel.But by the same thought i'm sure that levels must be raised following a GA dental ?:?

Back