• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Organic gardening experiment - recycling bunny poo!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've just bought some Timothy grass seed from The Hay Experts and it said to use organic compost (wouldn't have thought about that but any nasties in the food chain should be avoided). So..... Focus didn't have any organic stuff :?

*scratches head and thinks hard*. :idea: :D:D

They say bunny poo is good for growing grass, don't they ? Allegedly when wild rabbits poop amongst the grass it's good for encouraging growth :D

So in the planters went soil, a layer of poop kindly provided by Tinks & Rudy a thin layer of spent compost from last year then grass seed.

Just to be cheeky I've planted 4 containing bunny poo and one not.... we shall see if there is any different in growth. Don't know whether I should ask them if it tastes different though :? :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Yep I do :D

I bet it's the ones with poo in them ;)

Our neighbour has all our poo for his veggie patch & you've never seen veggies like them! His springs are huuugggggggggeeeeeeee! :D

:D:D:D:D

Yes, the grass with the bunny poo is about 1/3 bigger than the 'unassisted' grass. There didn't seem to be any difference shortly after germination but there definitely is now about 3 1/2 weeks later :D

The bunnies were fed on organic mountain hay as well so could be properly described as an organic product :lol::lol:

Thems magic beans that the bunnies are producing ;)

Wow! :D Will have to start diverting bunny poo into the compost bin.

Has anyone got cunning tips for separating poo from Megazorb in a not-time-consuming manner?!

Has anyone got cunning tips for separating poo from Megazorb in a not-time-consuming manner?!

Put hay on top of the megazorb, Jose's poo just sits on the top of the hay and rolls about lol

I put 'Easibed' on top of Megazorb, and scooped the poop off the top (Easibed is heavier than Megazorb, little pieces of wood, so the poop doesn't 'sink' as much) :mrgreen:

Just compost the megazorb too! I put the hay, poop and paper cat litter all in the compost bin.

There's a layer of bunny poop under our squash, sweetcorn, beans, peas, melon, spring onions etc.

Bunny poops most of what's in our compost bin cos they east most of the kitchen veg scraps :lol:

oooh - I wasn't sure if megazorb composted - I don't know why I didn't think of that before:oops:

Given the amount of waste our buns generate, I think I'll need a couple of extra compost bins.....!:lol::lol:

That's going to come in very handy seeing at the local council is going to empty the bins every two weeks instead of weekly.

I was bought a compost bin by my parents but read somewhere they encouraged mice so haven't bothered to make use of it, but I've since read that if you attach mesh to the bottom of the bin then the mice can't get in.

I think I've got part of my weekend mapped out.....

That's why we did it, it takes up too much room in the wheelie bins when they are only emptying fortnightly.

I would think the mice would be after food scraps not bunny poop so if you feed the rabbits the veg peal your less likely to get any critters. We didn't even have flies until I stuck some apple peel in (we did all the fallen apples and there was too much for the bunnies).

Back