• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toothless bun - ideas for increasing fibre intake?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My Vernon has no molars at all on one side of his jaw, and no lower molars and only a few upper molars on the other side.

His present diet is soaked excel junior pellets, slices of peeled apple and brown bread (no crusts because he can't chew them!). But I'm a little concerned about the size of his poops...they are tiny...so I'm guessing that he needs more fibre in his diet.

The only thing I could think of was to finely chop some hay into his pellet mush, but I'm worried in case it chokes him given that he can't chew it up.

So any ideas?

BTW he won't eat any veg at all, even if it's grated or finely shredded.

The protexin pellets actually have a lower fibre content than most normal rabbits pellets, I have used them in the past but couldn't really see the point of them :?

The protexin pellets actually have a lower fibre content than most normal rabbits pellets, I have used them in the past but couldn't really see the point of them :?

I have never used them but just saw them on the site

Sorry, obviously no help again:)

Last edited:
Squidgy is a toofless bunny, and we give him critical care - just a spoonful every other night as advised by our vet. It seems to do the trick.

I have never used them but just saw them on the site

Sorry, obviously no help again:)

I think that the fibre content is around 14%, possibly less :? I got some for Hector last year but was very disappointed with them although he loved them, but he would eat anything :lol: I know Faye bought some as well and was not impressed with them either :)

When Frank broke his teeth, I would blend soaked pellets with a little recovery food, a little hay and some veg, and occasionally a few rolled oats to thicken it.
I thought of that after I saw a recipe for bunny biscuits, I got as far as making the mix but was never allowed to cook them :roll:

I have heard of grinding hay in a coffee grinder & adding it to the pellet mushy mix, but not tried it

I have put readi grass in the food processor before now!!! Not for a toothless bunny but to make bunny cookies, but it is a similar consistency. Could do it with pretty much anything. I have also had grass and nettles in there too!!

I'd chop hay (or grass) finely with scissors. You should be fine with 1-2mm long as that's the size it comes out the other end if you look closely at bunny poop :lol:

my bunny toothless bunny won't eat hay so i give him oxbow T pellets which are made from timothy hay. He does enjoy them and they are soft too so easy for him to eat. he does also get excel.

fibersure

Would it be possible to give a bunny fibersure?

Its for humans but its is just a supplement supposed to be flavorless so you could just put it in his drinking water?

perhaps its not a good idea but its a something you could look into!

Back