• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help...i dont know whats wrong with her

*Bex*

Mama Doe
:cry: Cant get into the vets until 11.40
Flopsy tummy has been gurgling and it feels harder than normal
She has been nibbling on hay all night and had some parsley this morning but i just think there is something not quite right :cry:
She hasnt been right since her dental yesterday :cry:

She did lots of normal ones yesterday evening and there is a lot in the pen overnight, although she was with zebedee in there but im pretty sure some are hers

was she given pain relief after her dental and has she had any metacam since.
If her mouth is sore she won't want to eat much

Try grating some apple and carrot so its soft and don't force feed her but see if she'll take it herself..also try softening her normal pellet food with cooled boiled water

was she given pain relief after her dental and has she had any metacam since.
If her mouth is sore she won't want to eat much

Try grating some apple and carrot so its soft and don't force feed her but see if she'll take it herself..also try softening her normal pellet food with cooled boiled water

She has pain relief yesterday afternoon.
She has eaten hay, quite a lot of hay, and a few greens. She just feels hard and she sounds gurgly, in herself she is ok. Shes sat on my bed washing herself

I don't have gripe water but i do have infacol. Will that help?

If im feeling her tummy where exactly am i feeling? Just want to make sure im getting it right

I've attempted the infacol but didn't get much in because she was fighting me and i have no one to help.
At least the vets is soon. I'll go a bit early to see if they can see me quicker

The vet couldn't find any real problem with Flopsy. He said she felt fine and sounded fine. He made sure she was ok for pain relief and she had another shot of metaclopramide.

She is lively enough and been eating hay like crazy. Shes also had some dandlion leafs. She wasn't too interested in her dinner when i put it in there though. We have poos too, not quite as big as her normal but near enough.

I think she is going to be ok, but im still worrying myself sick over her!

Some rabbits do take quite a while to get back on track after a dental. Some of mine have begun to eat that same day, others take 2-3 days. Teddy usually takes 3 days to eat. Every rabbit is different... I don't start to really worry about teddy until 2 days after and I don't administer meds until them, others I would start syringe feeding and fluids within 24 hours. It just depends on your bun and how well you know them. Teddy has bee having dentals for 3 years so I know his pattern inside out..

Some rabbits do take quite a while to get back on track after a dental. Some of mine have begun to eat that same day, others take 2-3 days.

Amber was like this and would only eat dandelion leaves and watercress after her dental. She took a week to get back to normal.

Amber was like this and would only eat dandelion leaves and watercress after her dental. She took a week to get back to normal.

Maybe this is gonna be how Flopsy is this time. She's eating a ton of hay and she eats dandilions and grass too when i give her it

Just get panicky when she isn't back to normal!

Just get panicky when she isn't back to normal!

I know this on only too well!

I have also found that after a GA, Amber has gone off her favourite foods and will merrily eat things she use do turn her nose up at. It took a good few weeks to eat hay again and i tried everything.

After speaking with Jack's Jane i went back to the vets and asked (demanded) pain relief as she wasn't eating pellets. She started eating them after she had a couple of drops. She also did go back to the vets after the dental as she wasn't pooing and was given some more gut stimulant.

yep, I always give my dental buns pain relief if they aren't eating by the following day!

I know it sounds a bit odd, but one thing i've found that will temp dental buns to eat is to offer them a muesli mix food... I know it's taking the risk of upsetting their tums, but if they aren't eating anything it's worth a shot. Also, my dental buns and non dental buns all prefer their pellets to be soaked in cool boiled water, so offering that might help.

If they are a particularly stressy bun I find force feeding in those first couple of days actually prolongs recovery.

Charlie82, funnily enough, in a desperate attempt to get Amber to eat i did try a couple of different pellets (Care Plus) mixed in with her usual ones (SS)and she ate different ones! Now i do give her a small amount of Care mixed in.

Back