• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating - U/D 26/8/'09 Reluctant to eat again :(

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I've just got back from Norfolk today, OH has been looking after the buns. Beau ate his breakfast this morning, but won't touch his evening veggies. I've grated some carrot and tried him with fenugreek crunchies, which he usually loves, but he won't try anything. He had a bit of colverleaf cookie at 6pm but nothing since. :?

Do you think vets asap or wait n see? I'm so worried :? :cry:

Last edited:
I've just got back from Norfolk today, OH has been looking after the buns. Beau ate his breakfast this morning, but won't touch his evening veggies. I've grated some carrot and tried him with fenugreek crunchies, which he usually loves, but he won't try anything. He had a bit of colverleaf cookie at 6pm but nothing since. :?

Do you think vets asap or wait n see? I'm so worried :? :cry:

Vet now i'm afraid in my opinion - he's not had enough to eat today at all and likely needs urgent pain relief and possibly fluids, but certainly a vet assessment. Good luck

He had a big bowl of veggies this morning at 7am. Is that still not enough?

Not in my opinion. 12 hours without food is too long. Mine get pain relief the minute they turn their noses up at food - even if they were eating half an hour ago. I would take him to the vet tonight. I hope he feels better soon.

Sorry, didn't explain well, trying not to worry you. Buns that have not eaten for 12 hours are likely to be in full blown stasis, at the very least ileus serious enough to warrant immediate pain relief and fluids under the skin - any droppings? In my opinion your bunny needs urgent vet attention tonight.

Have you tried hand feeding him? If he isn't drinking then you should also syringe him with fluids. That is the most important thing. If there is a chance he might have a blockage then pineapple juice is really good for getting things working again!

Contacting the vets is definately the thing to do, even if it's just to give you peace of mind that you're doing the right thing.

Good luck

Ali and Teddy xx

Have rung the vet, emergency vet is calling us back within 15 mins, I feel sick. His ears are cold :?

Okay, don't panic, you've done the right thing. Have you got a hot water bottle you can sit him on on your lap with a towel over it? Remember that sick buns can not respond to heat and cold properly so make sure the hot water bottle is just warm and not boiling hot. Wrap him up in your arms or a jumper and hold him to use your body heat, this can really help to warm him up. Good luck with everything tonight, thinking of you.

Have rung the vet, emergency vet is calling us back within 15 mins, I feel sick. His ears are cold :?

Keep him warm! Have you got a snugglesafe? if not then a hot water bottle if fine (so long as he can't nom it, and it isn't too hot)

Ali and Teddy xx

Right, have been to the vets, he's had zantac, baytril, metacam.

Have been given metacam, baytril, fibreplex and recovery to bring home. Was instructed to give the fibreplex and recovery now but not the other stuff til tomorrow. I only gave him about half the amount of the recovery solution because it was a battle and a half getting it in and he was getting really upset, which I thought would make things worse. Is this ok or does he need the rest of it now?

Bless his little heart, heaps of vibes for my baby boy please :love::cry:

Keep him warm! Have you got a snugglesafe? if not then a hot water bottle if fine (so long as he can't nom it, and it isn't too hot)

Ali and Teddy xx

We tried hand feeding and he wasn't interested. He has now had fibreplex and the recovery solution, so obv there's water in that. He generally doesn't drink much and gets all his water from his veg, so I know it's gonna be tricky keeping him hydrated :?

I don't have a snugglesafe, and can't give him a hot water bottle cos he's a nibbler. He won't sit on my knee with one either.

He's currently sat in his pen trying to lick the fibreplex and recovery off his chin.

If he's struggling then it's a good sign! If you get desperate then you can inject fluids (ask your vet for saline solution, syringes and sharps). You do it in the scruff, but you should ask your vet to show you how.

To check for dehydration pinch the scruff...it should bounce back straight away if well hydrated.

Good luck
Ali and Teddy xx

If he's struggling then it's a good sign! If you get desperate then you can inject fluids (ask your vet for saline solution, syringes and sharps). You do it in the scruff, but you should ask your vet to show you how.

To check for dehydration pinch the scruff...it should bounce back straight away if well hydrated.

Good luck
Ali and Teddy xx

I can't see his scruff, his so blimmin' hairy! It makes it a problem trying to syringe feed him too, I can't see his mouth for those mutton-chops!

He's had about 15ml of recovery solution, the vet just said to get as much as poss into him, but I saw on other posts 10-20ml every 2-4 hours. The vet also said just to keep him at room temperature, because as well as not being able to keep himself warm, he wouldn't be able to cool himself down if he was too hot? I never know whether to do what the vet says or what the experienced non-professionals say :?

He's moving around his pen, having a good sniff and explore, and looks like he's eating caecels :? :mrgreen: as we speak! fingers crossed these are good signs.

The pinching the scruff test changes at different points of dehydration so unless you know what you are looking for it is not accurate.

Did the vet give him some pain relief by injection? an Opiate? and how about some fluids under the skin?
Keeping his pain under control and keeping him hydrated are your priority. Yes the recovery fluid has water in, but I would suggest, if he is compliant, gently syringing some fluids (cooled herbal tea like peppermint/camomile/fennel works well here). But really just half a ml at a time and if he's very struggly then don't do it, as there is a risk of aspiration. Try again later when he's calmer.
Keep tempting him through the night when you syringe feed him - ideally you want to give him recovery food every 2-4 hrs to keep his tummy full enough to stimulate his guts. Some gripe water/infacol before each syringe feed might be helpful as well. There is no harm giving these even if he doesn't need them.
I would give his tummy a little massage before you syringe feed him and after you have given him some food (you can also try some pellets softened with water and a little mashed banana) I would encourage him to hop around, it will help his gut motility, as cruel as it seems. Then tuck him back up in bed and leave him for 2 hours. Then do it all over again. You need to get as much food into him as he will tolerate but not overly stress him. Ideally around 10-20ml at each feed (2-4 hrs) or whatever he will take. In the morning he will need more pain relief and if still like this I would suggest taking him back to the vet first thing for an Opiate pain relief and some sub-cut fluids.
Lots of vibes!! Hope he gets well soon. Good luck.

Oops! :oops: You posted before I finished! Sorry!....The vet is right to a point about his body temp, you don't want him getting too hot that he dehydrates any more than he already is but sick buns get hypothermic (cold) easily as if their tums aren't moving their metabolism is low and this is what would normally keep them warm, plus they are not moving around and producing heat energy.
I would roll some towels up or pin them up around his pen to keep draughts out and put a hot water bottle in his bed area. It's not winter so he should be ok. When you pick him up every couple of hours to feed and medicate your body heat will help him too. Your vet is right re. the syringe food - as much as he will take! 10-20ml is just a rough guide! Frankly - just keep him eating!!
Meanwhile keep tempting him with fresh herbs/leaves - whatever he will eat. I find strong scented fresh herbs, apple leaves and dandelions, fresh grass etc are the best things to stimulate an appetite. Good luck :)

Great, thank you for all your help. He's an indoor bun and it's quite warm here so I'm not too worried about his temp. Will set an alarm for feeding him. I presume it's ok to use the recover that ive alreayd made up. how long can i keep that for - til it's all used up? do i need to keep reheating it or was that just to dissolve it? does it need keeping in the fridge?

Got up at 3:30 to give more recovery. He's eaten some dandelions and a bit of kale and is being his usual mischevious self :D however, very worryingly, I've found a few spots of blood in his pen, and have no idea where they are coming from. And I can't catch him to give him more recovery :? :roll: It's gonna be a long night :(

Still no eating in the night. His favourite, curly kale, a whole bowl full, is still sat there. :cry: Wasn't able to catch him to get any more recovery into him, but am going to have to insist on it now cos it's hours since he had anything. No idea how I'm gonna catch him.

It's really strange cos his behaviour is totally back to normal, cheekier than ever if anything, he keeps jumping on the sofa, which he never does. He's exploring, scent marking everything.

It's really hard cos I know to be worried, whereas OH thinks I'm being neurotic.

Back