• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not drinking after spay - when to start syringing?

Wigs

Warren Scout
Valentine went to the vets for her spay today, so has been a very worrying and stressful day :(. That said, she seems to have recovered as well as we could have hoped for so far. She is eating with encouragement (a few sprigs of fresh herbs and a decent amount of raspberry leaves - think my plants are going to be bare by the morning!). As for pooing, she has produced maybe 20 'bumbles' (as the vet called them :D) in all, and they seem to be fairly healthy looking... sorry if anyone's eating. Not a huge amount, but hopefully enough to show that her gut is moving?

My concern is that she has not drunk anything as far as I can see. She has two water bowls and her usual bottle in the hutch. I have been trying to encourage her to drink, but with no joy so far. She did do one wee fairly soon after coming back from the vets, but nothing since then.

I was wondering when I need to start giving her something to drink using a syringe? And also, how much should I give her if we have to resort to this?

Thank you everyone x

Valentine went to the vets for her spay today, so has been a very worrying and stressful day :(. That said, she seems to have recovered as well as we could have hoped for so far. She is eating with encouragement (a few sprigs of fresh herbs and a decent amount of raspberry leaves - think my plants are going to be bare by the morning!). As for pooing, she has produced maybe 20 'bumbles' (as the vet called them :D) in all, and they seem to be fairly healthy looking... sorry if anyone's eating. Not a huge amount, but hopefully enough to show that her gut is moving?

My concern is that she has not drunk anything as far as I can see. She has two water bowls and her usual bottle in the hutch. I have been trying to encourage her to drink, but with no joy so far. She did do one wee fairly soon after coming back from the vets, but nothing since then.

I was wondering when I need to start giving her something to drink using a syringe? And also, how much should I give her if we have to resort to this?

Thank you everyone x

If she's eating voluntarily then she's probably ok to drink voluntarily. It depends how easy she is to syringe. If she's keen then I would have a go giving her a little fluids by syringe, cooled boiled water or cooled herbal tea - she's most likely to accept the latter. Peppermint/camomile tea goes down well with my buns. You could try putting a drop of fresh apple juice in her water bowl and then diluting it down - or do the same with her water bottle, it might encourage her. As long as she is self feeding and alert she's probably ok. If she will happily syringe feed fluids then maybe a little if you want - 5-10ml perhaps? If a bun was totally anorexic I'd be doing 10-20ml every 4hrs or so so it just depends. If she's very resistant I'd leave it alone as struggling she could aspirate any fluids - syringing fluids is always a bit risky and usually reserved for a very ill anorexic bun. If you are concerned still in morning then you could pop her back for some sub-cut fluids from vet. I hope she makes a quick recovery. :)

Ooh, also... I have only been providing tap water so far. Is there anything else that I can offer her that may be more tempting? (have seen herbal tea mentioned a few times on the forum?)

Thanks so much for the quick reply :)

I have some peppermint and cammomile tea in the house, so will give those a go now. She does seem to be fairly alert, and is hopping around, so not too worried yet. Had to give her Metacam orally by syringe earlier, and she was surprisingly ok with us doing this. Hopefully it won't come to it, but if it does, I hope that syringing fluid won't cause her too much stress.

Thanks so much for the quick reply :)

I have some peppermint and cammomile tea in the house, so will give those a go now. She does seem to be fairly alert, and is hopping around, so not too worried yet. Had to give her Metacam orally by syringe earlier, and she was surprisingly ok with us doing this. Hopefully it won't come to it, but if it does, I hope that syringing fluid won't cause her too much stress.

She sound ok for now, but if you are worried in the night, then try the fluids, but just do 0.5 ml at a time and take it gently. Peppermint and camomile tea sounds fine :)

You could also try feeding her freshly washed and still wet herbs/leaves for added hydration :)

Last edited:
Back