• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding male and female bunnies

gypsy

New Kit
I am trying to bond a castrated male and a newly neutered female. They have separate hutches at night. They have been together for three or four hours at a time on a number of occasions. They lie next to each other, lick each others faces and ears, but he wont stop mounting her. They are tired after being together for a while. What is the best way to treat this behaviour, or do I just leave them together to sort it out themselves?:?

You need to leave them together instead of spliting them up.I started by putting levi in a dog crate in Angels shed for one day.The next day i let Levi out and blocked off the run.There was a little chasing and humping but i watched them closely for 8 hours.There was no aggresive behavour so i left them overnight.All was well the next morning and they were loved up:love::love:

I tried an overnight 2 days ago. He didn't stop trying to mount her, wouldn't leave her alone all night. I put them in a segregated run in the morning and they both slept all day. they were so tired they didn't even eat until later that evening.

Will try again and let you know how it all goes.:bunny:

Don't leave them alone overnight until the mounting has stopped. If there grooming and lying together your nearly there.

I'm afraid I'm a believer of once putting bunnies together not separating them at all[ unless serious fighting occurs]. The mounting is just them sorting out hierarchy,by splitting them then reintroducing them they have to go through it all again.Mounting is a normal part of the bonding process

I'm afraid I'm a believer of once putting bunnies together not separating them at all[ unless serious fighting occurs]. The mounting is just them sorting out hierarchy,by splitting them then reintroducing them they have to go through it all again.Mounting is a normal part of the bonding process

what happens if they fight while your sleeping? I'm not being funny, thats just the question that always stops me from leaving them together.

what happens if they fight while your sleeping? I'm not being funny, thats just the question that always stops me from leaving them together.

you sleep next to them! Either take them in an indoor setup to your room or else sleep on the floor next to them.I intend sleeping on the floor by my toilet when I do my 3.

you sleep next to them! Either take them in an indoor setup to your room or else sleep on the floor next to them.I intend sleeping on the floor by my toilet when I do my 3.

I couldn't trust myself to stay awake or wake up when it kicks off.

When I bond I take the indoor crate to bed with me. I'm a heavy sleeper and believe me, you do wake up if anything kicks off.

When I bond I take the indoor crate to bed with me. I'm a heavy sleeper and believe me, you do wake up if anything kicks off.

I second that.

How long since neuters? Hormones could be playing a big part in this, it takes around 6 weeks for hormones to die down. This will be why he is mounting her so much

Oh you wake up if it kicks off. I currently have the biggest black rings under my eyes as evidence:lol: Flora, Parsnip and Pooh kicked off last night (after being loved up all day). Parsnip had to go to the emergency vet this morning as I thought he'd broken his leg in the skirmish. Thankfully, it's just a bad sprain. I put them back together after a quick car ride and then left them for about 4 hours whilst they were still OK and not fighting, but have now separated them by a puppy panel (so they're right next to each other but can't hurt themselves). We'll start again in the morning. But I'm still sleeping with them, just in case they kick off through the bars!

I'm boding 6 together at the minute. a 4 and a pair. the oldest of the pair is trying for dominance over the whole group and she is being aggressive so there is no way I'm keeping them together while I'm asleep. I'm going to leave her out for a few days to calm down I think.

I agree dont seperate unless there is fighting, mine stayed in the house for 2 weeks and i slept with them next to me! This was my four though, i seperated them a few times to start with and it was a disaster i had to start again everytime even though there was only bars between them. Have to say my pairs were easy when i bonded them.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I now have two loved up bunnies:love::love: they have spent three nights and days together happily. He will try to mount her occasionally. Usually when I go near their run without food, but its only half hearted. She will let him or just move slowly away.he then gives up. The rest of the time they snuggle, groom each other, play or lie together.

Back