PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with EC - U/D Bloods back.

SisterMoonbeam
21-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Would like some of your experiences with EC if possible. Fidge is booked into the vets tomorrow. She has lost weight and has urine stains on her belly so it doesn't look good. Have started another course of panacur as a precaution anyway but dreading what the vet says tomorrow i am so worried i could cry :cry:

I can't find much info on it in honesty so would like to know as much about it as i can so i am prepared if it turns out the be EC, obviously i know there is no surefire way of diagnosing it but the symptoms seem to suggest as much :cry:

Jack's-Jane
21-08-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

It may not be EC as there are other causes of the symptoms you describe :)

SisterMoonbeam
21-08-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

It may not be EC as there are other causes of the symptoms you describe :)

I really, really hope it's not! Do you know what else is could be? I know i sound daft as i'm seeing the vet first thing but i can't help but worry!

Thanks for the link, will take a look now

Kermit
21-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Hopefully whatever it is is cureable and fidget gets through it.

SisterMoonbeam
22-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the vibes! Just went in to see her and the sight of her is so distressing. She is just skin and bones :cry::cry::cry:

This has come about so quickly! I am so scared

lilbun
22-08-2009, 12:10 AM
With her symptoms it would be worth asking for blood tests to check kidney function as well as a e.c. titre tests.
Sometimes though dental or gut problems can cause excessive drinking and urination and also weight loss
Eta: as she is already on panacur the e.c. test results will be unreliable but I would carry on with the treatment anyway xx

antigone
22-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Sending lots of vibes for Fidget and hugs for you xx

hurricanhoney
22-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Hope Fidget is OK. Sorry I am not very experienced with EC. Wesley had suspected EC at the beginning of the year he had head tilt. Luckily it was caught early so he recovered after a few weeks and is a normal happy bunny now. Sending loads of vibes for Fidget.

SisterMoonbeam
22-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks everyone. She seems fine in herself. Just been in and she's running around my feet expecting food as normal :lol:. But i know how fast they go downhill sometimes but i'm hoping it's a good sign.

Will let you know how i get on at the vets this morning. Just a thought though - i have to get the bus there. It's not too far, bout 10 minutes, but will this stress her out too much?

honeybunny
22-08-2009, 09:07 AM
10 mins should be ok.
Make sure her teeth are checked
Good luck! xx

SisterMoonbeam
22-08-2009, 10:20 AM
She has had some bloods taken which i have to ring for in about half an hour. There is a chance it's a UTI but vet seems pretty certain it's kidney failure :cry:

Jack's-Jane
22-08-2009, 10:23 AM
She has had some bloods taken which i have to ring for in about half an hour. There is a chance it's a UTI but vet seems pretty certain it's kidney failure :cry:

Is she drinking huge amounts and weeing loads ?

SisterMoonbeam
22-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Is she drinking huge amounts and weeing loads ?

She is drinking more than she used to yes. I put this down to eating more hay and less grass now she is in the shed and not in the run as often due to the dogs getting secure aviary end of this month) so eating much more hay so less moisture but I was wrong and stupid and should have seen it earlier. Hard to tell if she is weeing more as they wee in several different areas of the shed.

poppymoon
22-08-2009, 10:27 AM
hope its good news for fidget x

Lib_n_bunny
22-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I was wrong and stupid and should have seen it earlier

This is an irrational response, it's wrong and it won't help fidget. You are doing all you can, don't beat yourself up **hugs**xx

lilbun
22-08-2009, 10:30 AM
She's so young :(
I hope it's something easily curable, like a uti xx

SisterMoonbeam
22-08-2009, 11:10 AM
It's chronic liver disease

Lib_n_bunny
22-08-2009, 11:11 AM

Oh no, what does that mean :?

Jack's-Jane
22-08-2009, 11:59 AM

:cry:

Has your Vet suggested any paliative care/ treatment ?

SisterMoonbeam
22-08-2009, 12:07 PM
:cry:

Has your Vet suggested any paliative care/ treatment ?

I was given some antibiotics for her today in case it was an infection but she said that they are pretty much useless against liver disease. She said if she does respond to the antibiotics then take her in in a week. If not then ASAP.

She did say that there is treatment but it is quite intensive (medicating several times a day etc..) and that will prolong her some but all in all the prognosis is not good.

If i can get anything to ease any suffering then i will do whatever it takes but she told me how it is likely to progress and i just can't see her go through that. At the moment she is still eating and her normal bubbly self but as soon as i see signs of further illness i think i will have to let her go :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I just can't believe this is happening :cry:

poppymoon
22-08-2009, 04:28 PM
:shock: sorry, i don't know what to say. i'm really shocked. she's so young:(

thumps_
22-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.
Please forgive my stupidity, but i can't understand how liver disease causes urinary incontinence.

Jack's-Jane
23-08-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.
Please forgive my stupidity, but i can't understand how liver disease causes urinary incontinence.

Bunny drinks huge amounts so just keeps weeing. Its not so much 'incontinence' but polyuria xx

Sam_Spice
23-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Vibes for you and Fidget x She's in great care and I hope she continues to be for a long time yet :D Don't doubt yourself, your a great mum :D

SisterMoonbeam
23-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Anyone know how i can help her put on some weight or is this just a lost cause? I thought it may help a bit. I know the disease is causing the weight loss but....

...I think i'm just clutching at straws but anything i can do to help her.

Jack's-Jane
23-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Anyone know how i can help her put on some weight or is this just a lost cause? I thought it may help a bit. I know the disease is causing the weight loss but....

...I think i'm just clutching at straws but anything i can do to help her.

I'd def give the Milk Thistle a go and maybe ask your Vet if Fidget can have a Multivitamin injection once a week.

I would not add too many carbohydrates to her diet as the last thing she needs is gut dysbiosis. Lots of good quality hay and a selection of fresh Veg plus her normal pellet feed (the quantity of which you could increase a little) :)