• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Is Dried Grass ? Yes No ?

Hay Is Dried Grass?

• yes

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • no -on some occations yes

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
i herd sombody say it on the forum
my gardon is mostly dryed grass becuase ive moved house and the gardon was a mess and we strimed it and grass has grown through smokeys eating the grass and dryed grass too, is this ok?

Technically yes.
But its not normally regular lawn-grass, but rather timothy and other field type grass:3
Drying the grass doesn't make it poisonous or anything so don't worry, they can eat it just fine XD

basically lawn mowing cuttings no no as rots quicker and releases gas dried grass fresh grass yes :D

When you give a bunny hay, it has to be at least 6 months old so no, the stuff in your garden isn't hay. It's just regular grass

When you give a bunny hay, it has to be at least 6 months old so no, the stuff in your garden isn't hay. It's just regular grass

Where on earth have you heard this?? :shock:
ALL rabbits are supposed to have free access to hay, even youngsters. Everyone I know has had it since the day they started eating themselves, heck its what their nest has been made of! (If they make it of grass it may rot)
Hay=Timothy, Which is a type of grass. There are several different species of this just as there are different flowers.

Hay is grass, usually Timothy, medow, etc. that has been dried. The best hays are dried quickly and therefore keep their green colour and are far more nutritious. Unless you have a small meddow in your garden I wouldn't substitute it for proper hay. You should only buy fresh, dust-free hay for bunnies as the pet shop stuff in non breathable plastic starts to go stale, and isn't as nutritionally good. If you're buying online then I'd suggest either the dust free hay company, or ross rabbits, who sell really good hay! (you can have it sent or pick it up)

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/

http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/hay&straw.htm

Hope this is of help

Ali and Teddy xx

Where on earth have you heard this?? :shock:
ALL rabbits are supposed to have free access to hay, even youngsters. Everyone I know has had it since the day they started eating themselves, heck its what their nest has been made of! (If they make it of grass it may rot)
Hay=Timothy, Which is a type of grass. There are several different species of this just as there are different flowers.

I think BunnieBekkie means that hay is usually dried for 6 months, not that the rabbit has to be 6 months old...:)

Bunny hay can be fed as soon as it's made, it's not like feeding it to horses where it has to be stored for a few months before you can use it.:)

I'm currently using a bale that came out of the baler yesterday morning.
I :love::love::love: it and the bun's and pigs are all going mad for it today.

Back