• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie is not well AGAIN.... doing much better now :)

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
It's a bit difficult to describe how I know, I'd sound paranoid to any non-bunny owner :?

He's is behaving like he has bloat he is laying down a lot but not shuffling or pressing his belly down, I realised as he'd been laid in his litter tray for a while :( He's just done what could look like a happy flop, only I know it wasn't.

I've tried to syringe some gripe water in him (he had spring greens about an hour ago, this was similar to his last onset of this type of episode). Again he doesn't feel bloated :? He isn't in agony just a bit uncomfortable looking.

I've got him booked at the local vets at 4.10 where hopefully he will be given metacam, metaclop and possibly the Morphine based painkiller that Carla gave him last time.

I wish I knew why this keeps happening, all indications are it's nothing to do with his bladder.

I will of course update.

Last edited:
My boy bun does the same as this, but refuses all food as well. Unluckily for me, it usually happens during the night so costs around £150 to get him treated, oh well!

Hope your lad is feeling better soon.

I didn't know about giving gripe water, is it pretty much the same as infacol?

I've just been trying to work out any similarities and I think I'm going to have to try avoiding spring greens for a while, he might be having trouble digesting it, it was gas in his stomach that seemed to upset him last time.

I'm pretty sure his episode has the same reasons as last time as he presents the same. I've about 20 minutes before catching him to take him to the vets. He looks really miserable. It has to be related to food upsetting him as he was running round like a good 'un all of today, nudging for nose rubs etc, he's been really well, whatever it is is definitely not in the background all the time, it's a sudden onset thing so food seems the most likely :?

My poor baby, I hate seeing him so miserable.

My boy bun does the same as this, but refuses all food as well. Unluckily for me, it usually happens during the night so costs around £150 to get him treated, oh well!

Hope your lad is feeling better soon.

I didn't know about giving gripe water, is it pretty much the same as infacol?
Yeah, Woodward's gripe water, Jane recommended it recently. 2ml per kg of bunny every hour (if they'll take it!!)

Artie has been costing me about £90 a month with this recently, I need to get to the cause of it for financial reasons as well as for his sake.

Poor Artie :cry:

I wonder if it is his bladder problem rather than his guts :?
Could he be having urethral spasms :?
Has he had a wee ?

Poor Artie :cry:

I wonder if it is his bladder problem rather than his guts :?
Could he be having urethral spasms :?
Has he had a wee ?

I'm really not sure about the wee but he has a clean litter tray now so I'll keep a close eye on him. He didn't look like he was having trouble weeing or anything such. FHB hasn't so far believed there is a connection with his bladder problems and has said to treat him as normal as there should be no more problems (short term at least). X-rays have always been good in that regard. Obviously I'll always consider that it *could* be a cause of pain etc.

His 'Auntie Beth' said she could feel gas in his guts 'but not like a balloon'. She gave him Metacam, Metaclop and said to take him back if concerned.

He's been home five minutes and has nibbled hay on arrival :love::love: and has wolfed down a few dandelion leaves :D He looks 'normal' at the moment. He's just tucking into hay like a good un - I can't say what a relief that is :love::love:

Edit to add: Beth also said his bladder felt small. I'm guessing if he was having the spams that he bladder would feel full as a result of not wanting to wee?

Last edited:
He's sat on his shelf (where he sits when he's happy) wolfing down the grass and dandelions I've just picked him. :love::love:

Last time he was treated at home with a similar episode five weeks ago he spent about 24 hours under his shelf hiding away, so *touches wood* it's looking good. I don't think I dare give him spring greens again though :?

Did you wash the Spring Greens ?

My thoughts too! Supermarkets use strong chlorine sometimes to wash veg...some supermarkets more than others! One begining with 'T'! :roll: This has caused an acute dysbiosis with one of my buns in the past.

Lying down in the litter tray for me is always a tell tale sign - it only happens with my two when they have bloat.

Nino has also shown bloat symptoms with a spot of urinary retention before - we encouraged him to hop around as much as possible to shift his bladder and his guts at the same time and it worked. If Artie goes like this again I would definitely recommend encouraging him to hop around a bit. Hope he stays well from now on :)

My thoughts too! Supermarkets use strong chlorine sometimes to wash veg...some supermarkets more than others! One begining with 'T'! :roll: This has caused an acute dysbiosis with one of my buns in the past.

Lying down in the litter tray for me is always a tell tale sign - it only happens with my two when they have bloat.

Nino has also shown bloat symptoms with a spot of urinary retention before - we encouraged him to hop around as much as possible to shift his bladder and his guts at the same time and it worked. If Artie goes like this again I would definitely recommend encouraging him to hop around a bit. Hope he stays well from now on :)

Thanks, will do.

I'm hoping further diet changes will help him. I've just received my grass seed I bought from Hay Experts so will go and sow loads of it under cover, then hopefully in a couple of weeks I should have a constant supply of good grass, even when it's raining! I did ask the vet if she thought he was getting intolerant of spring greens and she thought it was a possibility worth pursuing, I think it's my best lead so far.

Thanks for your advice and good wishes everybody.

This is the little guy having his tea, about 20 minutes ago:

He wasn't eating at 3.00 pm, urm, think he feels a little better :love::love:

His recovery has been amazing! I'm guessing that's partly because I managed to get him seen at the vets so quickly.

He's weed a fair bit over night and there's load of boulder sized poops!

He normally gets spring greens for breakfast. I stagger out of bed, fuss the bunnies, make coffee, while the kettle's boiling I select and wash the greens, give Tink and Rudy theirs, then make my way upstairs with Art & Esme's greens. They know, of course and listen for me returning. This morning I didn't fetch any to Art and Es and he ran round my feet buzzing for ages :oops: Poor little mite he was sooo disappointed. He's eating hay now but I'd better go and pick some grass ASAP to make amends, poor baby. This routine will be easier when I get some grass growing inside. I just hope it solves the problem.

His recovery has been amazing! I'm guessing that's partly because I managed to get him seen at the vets so quickly.

He's weed a fair bit over night and there's load of boulder sized poops!

He normally gets spring greens for breakfast. I stagger out of bed, fuss the bunnies, make coffee, while the kettle's boiling I select and wash the greens, give Tink and Rudy theirs, then make my way upstairs with Art & Esme's greens. They know, of course and listen for me returning. This morning I didn't fetch any to Art and Es and he ran round my feet buzzing for ages :oops: Poor little mite he was sooo disappointed. He's eating hay now but I'd better go and pick some grass ASAP to make amends, poor baby. This routine will be easier when I get some grass growing inside. I just hope it solves the problem.

So glad he's feeling much better :D Whenever I have to leave routine veg out one night due to Poppy's tum being a bit overproductive caecally or just feel they need a night of just hay, I make up for the 'obvious disappointment' which buns are so good at! :lol: by giving an extra big handful of dried mixed herbs and leaves on top of their hay in their litter trays and some apple leaves and twigs off the tree (never causes upset in this house!) and they tend to forget the missing veg then! ;) Dried herbs appease many a bunny appetite :D

Back