• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead breeders in Northern Ireland?

Hey all

I'm looking for a lionhead bunny but can't seem to find any breeders in Northern Ireland - does anybody know of any?

Try some rescues they may have some lionheads :) And you can give a bunny a second chance at a loving home. I'm not sure of where the rescues are though.

I really need a baby

I had 2 dwarf lops - but one died and I ended up buying a lionhead from a pet shop (probably a cross but very close to breed standard) unfortunately my remaining lop wouldn't take to the new bunny even though the lop is still only young herself (around 6 months).

This means that I have one lop eared bunny who seems completely happy and fine that she has loads of room to herself and probably won't ever want another bunny in her hutch and then I have a young (12 weeks possibly) bunny who I really want to have a young friend of a similar breed/size/temperament etc.

If the rescues have one then great but I'd like to get one ASAP & I have no idea where any of the rescues are

I really need a baby

I had 2 dwarf lops - but one died and I ended up buying a lionhead from a pet shop (probably a cross but very close to breed standard) unfortunately my remaining lop wouldn't take to the new bunny even though the lop is still only young herself (around 6 months).

This means that I have one lop eared bunny who seems completely happy and fine that she has loads of room to herself and probably won't ever want another bunny in her hutch and then I have a young (12 weeks possibly) bunny who I really want to have a young friend of a similar breed/size/temperament etc.

If the rescues have one then great but I'd like to get one ASAP & I have no idea where any of the rescues are

Are they neutered? Unneutered rabbits very rarely will share their space once they get to a few months old.

I really need a baby

Has your Doe been spayed ?
If not I would suggest getting her done and your Buck castrated. You are then very likely to be able to bond them.

It can be very difficult to bond two females, it can work very well but does take alot of time and patience on your part. I would suggest having your other female sapyed when she is old enough but in the meantime can you house them next to each other? So that they can see and smell each other and talk through the mesh of a run?

They already are but that still means that young lionhead bunny is missing out on having a friend for mutual grooming and everyday contact hence why I want another lionhead for her to be with!

Oh & I fully intend to get all my bunnies neutered but the vet's already said it's too soon just yet

They already are but that still means that young lionhead bunny is missing out on having a friend for mutual grooming and everyday contact hence why I want another lionhead for her to be with!

Does it have to be a lionhead? I have seen really different bunnies bonded e.g. a mini lop with a french lop an dthey got along famously. If you have the time ans space for 2 groups I would suggest getting a neutered boy for your youngest from a rescue and maybe while you are there asking if they could help you out with a bonding with a male for your eldest. Lots of rescues will do it for you for a small donation. It's definitely worth asking :wave:

about a month ago

i would say that your older girl is still hormonal, give her another few weeks. If both buns can see each other and smell each other etc they will be perfectly happy for the timebeing. Allow them plenty of time to see and smell each other and once your older girl is non-hormonal try them again on neutral gruond, a bathroom or somewhere neither of them has been before

yes it has to be a lionhead as I have now totally fallen in love with this new bunny, she's awesome & I want another one lol

I may try to rehome a male for my lop though, that's a good idea! Only I still can't find a rabbit rescue anywhere near where I live!

edit - the top bit was a joke but I do definitely want something small with a very good nature

yes it has to be a lionhead as I have now totally fallen in love with this new bunny, she's awesome & I want another one lol

I may try to rehome a male for my lop though, that's a good idea! Only I still can't find a rabbit rescue anywhere near where I live!

edit - the top bit was a joke but I do definitely want something small with a very good nature

I think you would be better off wating untill your other girl is spayed and isn't hormonal, cuz if you got another bun and it didn't get on with either of your girls, because they are all hormonal then you'd have 3 separate buns that don't like each other. Nightmare!

I live on the North Antrim Coast

isla - that's why I'm trying to pair bond the younger bunny before she gets hormonal!

Yeah but when she gets hormonal she might fall out with her friend, and fight. Bunnies are strange little things, and when they turn into teenagers they really to get stroppy, and will even fight with their littermates (if kept with them).

I live on the North Antrim Coast

isla - that's why I'm trying to pair bond the younger bunny before she gets hormonal!

They can still get hormonal and have a falling out with their partner. A really bad fight can make them hate the other bunny permanently. I personally would give her lots of attention myself and try to bond her after getting her spayed or get a slightly older male that has been castrated already and do it that way. The bonding will be easier and there would be no chance of her getting pregnant. Different ages can work as I have 3 rabbits bonded and it's the 18 month old and 7 year old that get along the best.

Back