• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding rabbits

is breeding rabbits ( or any animals for that matter) really that bad?

i def do not agree with people commercially breeding for money, but what about people who do it for the love of rabbits and to provide healthy, happy, friendly pets to people who will love and take good care of them, i think if people stopped breeding for the money( which supprises me as breeding rabbits doesnt make any money if anything you lose money) and were more responsible and gave out good advice, after care advice etc.. and were not so quick to sell to just anyone, there would be alot less rabbits in rescue centres!!

i think that for a pet rabbit a rescue centre should be a first choice ( if they let you have one, they can be quite picky)

what do you think. :)

:lol: this thread will be locked soon.

I think that the thing wrong with it, is all the rabbits waiting in rescue that could have those 'loving' homes. A lot of people go to these sorts of breeders because they are not fussy over wheret hey go to and they can use substandard hutches etc and no-one will question them.

Whats wrong with being fussy over where an animal is rehomed anyway?

nothing at all wrong with being fussy, i do think that some people are wrongly turned down though by SOME centres. def the welfare of the rabbit should come way before just finding any old home.

thats exactly what i mean i hate breeders that just dish out rabbits to anyone, without any sort of advice or care, i got muffin from a breeder that didnt even ask for my contact details. she didnt even give me so much as a care sheet.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with being fussy over where an animal is rehomed anyway?

Absolutely...the time, money and effort rescues put into caring for every single bun gives them the right to be as "fussy" as the want.

It is the rescuer who would have to sleep at night wondering what happened to that rabbit who was rehomed to that hutch whch wasn't quite as secure as they'd like, but the person was nice and would really love the rabbit...people are turned down for a reason, I don't believe rescues want to turn people down!

I don't get how people can justify their desire to breed as a 'love for rabbits'. I love rabbits, I certainly wouldn't breed them though.... it shouldn't be a 'hobby'. It's not a valid reason TBH. If breeding has to be done it is to preserve breeds.

I can't advocate anyone breeding while so many are sat in rescues.. if someone thnks a rescue is being too pedantic then they can go to another.

I think some people have this idealistic view that it is fun and easy to put two bunnies in together and will have no problem finding home for ickle fluffy baby buns. Reality is a lot different though :roll:

I am intending on breeding one of my dogs, however it is not a decision I have taken lightly and I know exactly what I am doing and what to expect etc.

Unfortunately most people's 'love of rabbits' doesn't extend beyond a love of breeding baby rabbits. More often than not, these back yard breeders don't keep their rabbits in good conditions or large enough accomodation, and don't bother checking that the rabbits they breed actually go to a good home :(

i didnt mean for that to sound the way it did. i do think that the welfare of the bun is the most important thing.

Unfortunately it is the reason alot of people give for breeding... and it's a pathetic excuse IMO. If they want a hobby then take up a sport, get involved in something... don't breed animals just because it gives them something to do!

I know someone who breeds conti's.. he said on his facebook that they make him money. It bloody infuriates me, I saw pics of his latest litter, one with it's ears chewed off. The majority of time they are sat in hutches because they obviously only get out on odd occassions. Such a shame that people will keep animals like this just to make a quick buck. I don't even know how they do make profit, as when I had a foster litter here they cost a small fortune!!

just a thought. if no one were to breed then wouldnt all the buns eventually run out. do you not think that it is ok if the breeder is a responsible breeder?

just a thought. if no one were to breed then wouldnt all the buns eventually run out. do you not think that it is ok if the breeder is a responsible breeder?

Tbh that will never happen as there are so many people who breed rabbits or any animal for money. Its either that, or lack of education of animal needs or plain stupidness of people.

I think there are a few of them.... what bothers me though is that obviously they can only have a certain amount of litters per rabbit (obviously for welfare purposes) so what do you suppose happens to that breeding doe once she's of no use... she gets passed on. I think breeders have a different kind of love towards their animals, as personally I couldn't give up my pet because she was of no commercial use to me. Same goes for show bunnies.

Breeders should also have to adhere to strict guidelines to ensure the welfare of their animals is first class. They should have to be licensed too..

But this is an argument that will have no answer as none of these things will happen.....

just a thought. if no one were to breed then wouldnt all the buns eventually run out.

In theory that's true. At the moment there are a lot of mis-sexed rabbits leaving breeders/pet shops producing litters that could, I imagine, keep the supply going for some time to come without deliberate breeding going on.

The more we were to go down the route of only getting bunnies from rescues (therefore neutred) then this 'supply' of bunnies would be less. This however relies on the whole population going to rescues which would never happen.

I can definitely see the point that good breeders who know what they are doing are 'needed' to keep good lines (healthy rabbits!) going for the future, though the 'need' for it is a lot less than the current availability, in my humble opinion. There's plenty of specific breeds I wouldn't be disappointed to see no longer exist - those with too much fur or ears that are far too long to be practical/healthy/safe etc.

Last edited:
Tbh that will never happen as there are so many people who breed rabbits or any animal for money. Its either that, or lack of education of animal needs or plain stupidness of people.

I don't believe anyone who says they don't breed for 'money'.. even if they claim to love that breed, of course money always comes into it...

I think an amnesty on Breeding would be a good idea.
Then once it were to start up again the Breeder would have to have a licence and be subject to numerous inspections.
All animals would have to be vaccinated and all accomodation should comply with the new Animal Welfare Laws.
No Rabbits should be sold via a Pet Store/Garden Centre
Anyone wanting to obtain a Rabbit from a Breeder would have to register with a National Database so as there is information as to the wherabouts of every Rabbit sold.

None of this will ever happen though. It would cost too much to set up and the attitude still stands that 'its only a Rabbit'.................:cry:

i asked this question as i actually do breed rabbits, although i would not say my buns were breeding rabbits, they are part of the family. they are all extremely well cared for. i love love love them to bits.

i do not make money from any breeding that i do.

my buns cost alot to keep.

i do keep records of EVERYONE that has any of my buns and i make sure i know how they are being kept, most are house bunnies.
i give out after care advice whenever and i clearly state that should the owner not be able to keep my bun at any time then they can bring him back to me, i do ask them not to take to a rescue centre. i also make sure that they have seriously considered and looked in to getting a bun from a rescue centre.

i honestly do only breed my buns properly and i do it because lots of people do not go to rescue centres and get their buns from commercial breeders or pet shops. this is were the problem starts as a new bunny owner getting a bun from a bad breeder or pet shop will probably leave not knowing how to care for the bun properly and know nothing about bunny behaviour, ending up with a bun in a rescue centre or just passed/sold on.

if someone is not going to go to a rescue centre and buy from a breeder i would much prefer they got their bun from someone like me than a horrible breeder or crappy pet shop.

their are some really good breeders out their who deeply care for the welfare of their buns.

and i am SICK of crappy breeders giving us a bad name.

I think there are a few of them.... what bothers me though is that obviously they can only have a certain amount of litters per rabbit (obviously for welfare purposes) so what do you suppose happens to that breeding doe once she's of no use... she gets passed on. I think breeders have a different kind of love towards their animals, as personally I couldn't give up my pet because she was of no commercial use to me. Same goes for show bunnies.

Breeders should also have to adhere to strict guidelines to ensure the welfare of their animals is first class. They should have to be licensed too..

But this is an argument that will have no answer as none of these things will happen.....

i could never pass on my buns when they get to 3-4 they are spayed and thats that. i love them far to much.

i asked this question as i actually do breed rabbits, although i would not say my buns were breeding rabbits, they are part of the family. they are all extremely well cared for. i love love love them to bits.

i do not make money from any breeding that i do.

my buns cost alot to keep.

i do keep records of EVERYONE that has any of my buns and i make sure i know how they are being kept, most are house bunnies.
i give out after care advice whenever and i clearly state that should the owner not be able to keep my bun at any time then they can bring him back to me, i do ask them not to take to a rescue centre. i also make sure that they have seriously considered and looked in to getting a bun from a rescue centre.

i honestly do only breed my buns properly and i do it because lots of people do not go to rescue centres and get their buns from commercial breeders or pet shops. this is were the problem starts as a new bunny owner getting a bun from a bad breeder or pet shop will probably leave not knowing how to care for the bun properly and know nothing about bunny behaviour, ending up with a bun in a rescue centre or just passed/sold on.

if someone is not going to go to a rescue centre and buy from a breeder i would much prefer they got their bun from someone like me than a horrible breeder or crappy pet shop.

their are some really good breeders out their who deeply care for the welfare of their buns.

and i am SICK of crappy breeders giving us a bad name.

We could tell that you breed :lol:

What rabbits do you breed?

There are actually a couple of other breeders on here who seem very good (cashmincal and Walnutearth) so don't be scared off by our attitude to most breeders..we don't always bite ;)

Back