• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can You Bond A French Lop With A Netherland Dwarf ? Edit- Dose size count

Or Will They Kind Of Kill Eachother ? ...

Just Becuase We Were Thinking Of Getting Smokey A Friend..

Thank You x

EDIT- Considerring Smokeys Slightley Bigger Than My Hand x

Last edited:
Here you go..
122.jpg

Depends on temperments. Usually I wouldn't recommend it - but...

I have a very large NZ white, very laid back boy, bonded with a small lionhead X. They love each other. And any humping is done by small bun. I would be wary though - they could kill with humping or back legs. The only reason I won't try my single tiny-tiny nethie in with them:cry:

In theory you could but in practice I wonder whether the size difference would cause problems.

I have seen a fair number of pairings of slightly mismatched sizes (my Inky is quite a bit smaller than Smokey) but that would be quite a difference, particularly if the French lop turned on the dwarf.

That pic i posted is of my nethie mix and french lop, they are both two, male female both neutured and have been bonded since they were very young. I really don't think size in bondings is an issue, but when you have such a big bun you can't have a hutch. Mine live in a shed with a cat flap and attached run with a large free ranging space during the day. You can't keep a french lop in a 'rabbit cage.'

Big and small

Hi, I have a beautiful french lop bonded very well with a mini lop. I worried about the size at first but they get on so well. My french lop is now in retirement but was from a breeder so is use to having very small buns around her, she is so so docile he is a little tiger!
(see pic)

it depends on temp. If you have a very fiesty giant then no however if it is very calm and docile then possibly although I would recomend that you get them bonded by an experienced person. To properly house a french lop you will need a shed with a high (i.e. 3ft+) run attached preferably at least 6ft by 6ft or bigger or they will need to be unconfined house buns.

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Frenchies eat more than Nethies and the poor Nethie might not be able to get as much as food as the Frenchie. I've got a Nethie cross and a Frenchie cross together, and even though they love each other, and i love them both, i wouldn't do a big and small combo again :(

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest

I agree. It can be done but bonding is stressful enough at the best of times and the size difference would scare me half to death and I've experience of bonding so might not be the best of ideas if you've never done it before.

Back