• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I need to stop Strawberry chasing! Its not only stressing out Snowdrop but its driving me up the wall. I am not sure how many 5am get ups I can take!

He only does it when he thinks its breakfast time and is getting worse with it. This morning when I put the pellets down (i sprinkle them instead of using a bowl) Strawberry would chase Snowdrop everytime she ate one!

I am wondering if keeping them in the dog crate (48") instead of their NIC set up (6ft) overnight would help as he doesnt seem to chase as much in their- probably because its smaller.

Can you feed separately? I feed one of my bonded 8 separately so I can keep a track of what he eats after he drastically lost weight last year.

Or can you provide a small hidey area only one bun could fit in? So it could hide?

Or do something different before feeding - like always feeding in a pet carrier - they might start to associate that with feedtime instead of whatever they do at the min.

Are they neutered/spayed?

Yep both neutered/spayed. They have several cardboard boxes in their enclosure but still manage to chase. Snowdrop runs away whenever he comes near her when he is in his chasey mood!

I have tried giving them separate bowls but Strawberry just keeps alternating between his and Snowdrops trying to make sure he has the most!

If I pick her up to do meds/cuddles when I put her back he chases he cos he thinks she has had some food.

He is so dominated by eating- im worried I dont feed him enough and he is starving!

It starts at 5am and will continue untill I have fed them so I am having to get up to them and give them their pellets then go back to bed.

I am hoping now Harry has gone it dies down a little as the scent of him in the house definately unsettled Strawberry.

I had to separate Gus at feeding time for a while...I would put one on the crate while you feed them. I would do it as soon as you go in to them, then get the food, so try and stop the chasing before it starts?

I had to separate Gus at feeding time for a while...I would put one on the crate while you feed them. I would do it as soon as you go in to them, then get the food, so try and stop the chasing before it starts?

Looks like im gonna have to start setting my alarm for 5am and getting into them before it starts :(

I have tried ignoring them as i was sure Strawberry has associated chasing and making lots of noise with me getting up to feed him. But I dont want Snowdrop stressed out too much and if I ignore him he will keep going untill I get up to him!

I do! lol They have pellets at about 10.30pm and then Strawberry is up at 5am demanding more! He is a total pig, I just cant stop him eating.

Do you Only feed in an evening? They are creatures of routine - if I walk in the room at 2pm, I am completely ignored. Everybun is chilled, muching hay. playing with toys, or laid out. If I walk in at 10pm, I am circled, tripped up, nipped:shock::lol:

He might be getting into a habit of chasing cos it means food - not just the other way:lol:

Looks like im gonna have to start setting my alarm for 5am and getting into them before it starts :(

I have tried ignoring them as i was sure Strawberry has associated chasing and making lots of noise with me getting up to feed him. But I dont want Snowdrop stressed out too much and if I ignore him he will keep going untill I get up to him!

Only until he realises you won't. Seriously I started feeding Alfie alone on top of a hutch. By day 3, he was jumping on hutch when he saw me. They learn;):D

I used to get woken up at 6 with chasing! I found after a while Gus realised he would get food and wasn't so bad...I do still feed Poppy in a separate place, but only because she chooses to go there. He only chases Poppy and not Sweetpea..

Do you Only feed in an evening? They are creatures of routine - if I walk in the room at 2pm, I am completely ignored. Everybun is chilled, muching hay. playing with toys, or laid out. If I walk in at 10pm, I am circled, tripped up, nipped:shock::lol:

He might be getting into a habit of chasing cos it means food - not just the other way:lol:

They are fed pellets at 10.30pm and pellets again in a morning. It used to be 7am when I got up for work but the chasing is getting earlier and ealier and its now 5am that i have to get up to them.

No matter what time I walk into their room Strawberry will run straight up to the front chewing the bars trying to get out to get food!!!

They are fed pellets at 10.30pm and pellets again in a morning. It used to be 7am when I got up for work but the chasing is getting earlier and ealier and its now 5am that i have to get up to them.

No matter what time I walk into their room Strawberry will run straight up to the front chewing the bars trying to get out to get food!!!

I would stop feeding pellets twice a day then. If they've got hay in a morning. Just feed pellets & veg later on. :D

Does he eat much hay?

Back