• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding for my female rabbit - need help!

dyoung5

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have managed to successfully bond a male and female neutered couple of rabbits after one was rescued and one came in a month later after it was no longer 'wanted' by its owner.

I have a house rabbit that spends her time out in the garden. After her sister died early this year :( I have tried to bond her with Luca (rescued bunny) with no luck. Luckily we had better luck as I have said earlier with him but I still really want to find Hero a mate.

She is very anti-social with the boarders we have occassionally (we board to raise money for rescued rabbits) but I'm not surprised considering territory issues and the most of the time she is kept seperated from their enclosures anyhow.

My big question is would a Giant rabbit get on with a normal (if larger breed) rabbit?? I'm not an expert when it comes to giant rabbits but I presume they are sociable too. Has anyone got any tips/ success stories with this? That is presuming the bonding works. I know of a Giant rabbit that desperately needs a new home and this would be ideal but I wouldn't want to make either unhappy in the long run if anyone thinks its a bad mix? Help please!

Size doesn't tend to matter that much. I know people on here have Nethies with larger breeds of rabbit with no trouble. It all depends on the temperament of the rabbit. If the giant is particularly boistrous, it's probably better to go with a bigger type, just so the smaller bun doesn't get hurt! It just all comes down to the personality of the 2 rabbits.

Here's hoping!

Hopefully Hero will be a bit more sociable with this one, I think his temperament is quite calm and as she is a larger rabbit I'm hoping it should work out and I get to give another rabbit a good home! She's so dominant with other rabbits despite being female and neutered, I blame myself for spoiling her too much! :p

Back