• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Random thumping issue

louise.storrar

Warren Scout
Cally keeps thumping through the night. She's been doing it for the past couple of months and now it's getting more and more frequent during the night. She thumps so loud that she wakes me up and the neighbours! I keep her in the garden in a fairly large hutch with attached run. She lives with her husbun James both have been spayed/neutered. I keep peeking out to see if there are any foxes about but no pattern really!

Any ideas what could be causing this? Or what I can do to stop her, I know it's natural behaviour but it's jsut started so randomly. I'm scared someone will get so annoyed that they do something to harm my babies :(

She could have been spooked by something one time and keeps thinking about it.

Could you put something like a carpet offcut on the floor and it might not be as noisy?

Foxes or cats are usual suspects but my new nethie was thumping like mad yesterday at what turned out to be a mouse!

I would suspect foxes or cat - try putting solid wooden hutch front cover over the hutch - or better still install a walk in style aviary run around the hutch so predators cannot get anywhere near it.

thanks

Great! Well we actually have a walk in chicken coop style run with the rabbit house elevated, with only a window in their door. I will try covering it at night see if that helps. I moved all of her toys into the sleeping area last night and that seemed to help...so maybe she is just bored at bedtime and wants out? Who knows, strange that it has been happening only recently. Maybe a mouse has somehow made its way in to the sleeping compartment...I shall investigate the hay right now!

Thanks!

Does she have a bunny companion? She might feel safer with another bun around. I agree re. covering her up at night....failing this she might like to come indoors and be a house bun ;)
Is there a light in the house you can leave on that might act as a nightlight for her as well a bit??

Edited to say....your house not hers....she might feel more secure with this? Biscuit Bunny on here had issues with thumping in the night and found leaving a light on in the corridor (house bun) helped I think.

Foxes or cats are usual suspects but my new nethie was thumping like mad yesterday at what turned out to be a mouse!

I can add to that - spiders! Thumper started as an outdoor bun, didn't thump at night, but I became aware that he was being frightened by suburban "night life". So he became a house bunny - was obviously more relaxed. I'd have never known him if he hadn't moved in! :D
I realize that this is not always possible.

Well I have checked the hay and everything seems normal. I changed it all just to be on the safe side. She's looking at me as if I'm disturing her nest or something. There is definitely something up with her. She's usually so placid and wants nose rubs, now she's even shunning me! :(

Yes she does have a companion. Darling James, he's half the size of her but they are in love. Poor thing is probably terrified of her lol

I'd love to bring them in but I was in rented acoommodation and that was a big no no. Now I'm back at my mum and dads temporarily...so that is also a big no no.

I'll try leaving the kitchen light on, that's right next to the hutch.

Fingers crossed she has another easy(ish) night!

Thanks for all your advice :) always greatly appreciated!

Back