• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Statis-Desperate for advice

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone Iam praying someone will be able to ease my mind regarding my presious little bunny Jimby.
My husband and I adopted him from a friend of a friend when he was 6 months old, he has recently turned 1 a couple of weeks ago.
He has always had a "sensitive" tummy and has had 4 previous bouts of GI Statis, due to anesthetic used when he was neutered, when rear guard was used and we beleive stress, which now brings me to Monday this week, Jimby stopped eating and thinking back he had not been quite so interested in his food a couple of days before so as soon as he started to refuse food on monday I rushed him to the vets who confimed he was in statis and that his tummy felt doughy. He has continued to poop throughout all be it only small and dry ones but they were there none the less, his poos seemed to be getting a bit better yesterday only to go back to being very small and dry again today. He has been given the gut stimulating drugs twice a day, science recovery and a few other bits. He had some small molor spurs on his bottom jaw which the vet filed down in case they were causing him pain, this was done on Wednesday and he is still eating very little, he has had somd mint leaves, basil leaves and a tiny bit of pear but i really have to force him to eat it, i am at my wits end and terrified that i might loose him, he is my baby and i love him so
much. The vet has said if he is not eating by tomorrow he is going to have to be hospitalized.
We are trying to temp him with EVERYTHING we can but hr is being so stubborn.
Has anyone had this?

Please help us.

Rachael

Do they know whats caused it at all?

I agree with pain relief...my bunny had a virus at 8 weeks old, only days after getting her, she had EVERYTHING to try get her to eat again, and it was only when they finally caved into me asking for pain relief (my vets arent too keen with rabbits) for her that she started eating, less than an hour after the injection!

So try asking for that. I presume you've been given fibreplex too? One of my rabbits gets statis everytime she has her teeth done, and is given fibreplex, force feeding, and also recently this sachet of white powder you add to the water to stop them getting dehydrated and help the guts move aswell as helping microorganisms recolinate their guts (think its called Bio Lapis).

The gut stimulants wont work if the rabbits in pain, or the guts arent moving completely, some just increase the appetite i think, so it depends which ones been given.

If it makes you feel any better, my baby rabbit didnt eat by herself for about 12 days, she only survived through force feeding. Also, my vet advised ribena to give extra energy whilst she didnt eat.

i dread my bunnies getting digestive problems really sorry your little buns not well.

make sure your bun doesnt get a blockage of any kind, if a bun has a bad blockage and is given metaclop ( gut stimulating drugs) rupture of the stomach CAN occur, if you havent already ask your vet about this.

if your bun has gas build up you can get him some simethicone infant colic medicine like infacol.

if your bun cant poop ( sorry ) and is blocked up you could ask your vet about an enema.

if you can get any bene bac which is a probiotic is v good, dont know where you live but i have to get mine from america.

i find the best things to get a bun to eat are wild greens and grass like sunflower leaves, plantain, dandelions and especially blackberry leaves which they love and are a natural antibiotic. if you are worried about fibre and he wont eat hay or grass use veg high in fibre like swiss chard.

if i cant get a bun to take feed through a syringe sometimes a good thing that works is using a big leaf like a sunflower leaf, syringe some of the feed down the middle and roll it like a wrap, some bunnies will eat this.

and also no bunny will eat if he is in pain, painkillers are important, although make sure bun is not dehydrated or it can cuse renal toxicity.

( sorry if you already know all this )

hope your bun will be ok.

Thankyou

Hi guys thankyou so much for your responses i really appriciate it.
We have just been back to the vets and he has been given the gut stimulent metoclopramide, protexetin, zantac, ketofen, we were told one is a pain releif and one an antacid. I did ask about the fiberplex but were told that what they are giving him does the same job.
He seems to have had a bit more fight in him since last night and does seem a bit more himself.
They have given us the injection so we can give it to him tonight and save another trip to the vets which is stressing him out.
They did not want to keep him in as he seems to be making very slow progress but they are only willing to wait a couple more days until they will see it as critical and keep him in.
They are quite confident thar he does not have a blockage as he is still passing poops but now we just have to get him to eat.
I keep asking them if they think he is going to make it? Obviously they can not give me the answer i wantbut they say there is hope. But with each day that passes it does get more serious.

Rachael

Pain meds are really really important. Autumn seemed to perk up immediately after every dose of metacam and it was really obvious when it was starting to wear off. I really think it was the pain that was putting her off food more than anything.

Positive steps

Hi guys, thank you to you all again for your messages.
We were unable to give him his injection last night as he kept flinching and jumping away which on the third attempt he bent the needle so we could not do it again.
Jimby perked up a bit last night and started to eat a lot more of the leafy greens, then this morning he was acting a lot more like his nutty little self, we took him to the vets who were very pleased with him.
He did have all the injections again but no feeding.
The vet said that he feels he is well on his way now and just to keep feeding him whatever he wants to keep his guts going then when he is back to normal we will need to work on his diet.
They are going to call us tomorrow morning to see how he is and if he is still eating and pooping he will not need to be seen.
He is still not eating 'hard' foods yet, no pellets or veg, I tried him on a piece of carrot and he was not interested.
But I guess it can take some time and as long as he is still eating and pooping then he is on the right road.
I know vets can not give you a 'Definite' answer much like doctors but when I asked if he is out of the woods, he said 'not a 100% but I think he is going to be good now' so I think that is as much like a 100% that a vet will give, what do you think?

Rachael

I'm so pleased that things have improved.
I don't know how experienced you are with this type of problem. The key is getting Jimbo back to eating quickly.
There are various "tricks" to helping a bunny eat when their mouth is sore.
Jacks-Jane has mentioned making a mush of pellets with water.
Some people make a "smoothie" in the coffee grinder (well cleaned 1st.) of a bit of hay, favourite veg, & grated carrot. In the end it's what works for you & your bunny & if you're getting a reasonable amount of food in your way - carry on.
The key to getting bunny to eat again is pain relief. I hear you about the injection. You need another person to hold bunny for that. Some male bunnies have very thick, tough skin over the neck & down the back. It may be worth asking your vet about alternative safe injection sites.

Just waiting to hear he's completely through it.

Hiya thank you again for your help.
This is I believe Jimbys 5th bout of this particular problem.
Our vet said he would get his colleuge from the main branch to call this morning which she did but i was still asleep so my hubby spoke to her. When I woke up and had a good look in his potty, i saw a lot of poos strung together with think hair so wanted to double check this was ok and also ask if it wad important to give him the injections today as the hubby forgot to ask so me being the worried bunny mummy that i am, i called the vet back on the number dhe called from thinking it was the clinic number and got 'in trouble' for calling it as it was her hime number! How was i meant to know? She said very bluntly 'can you refrain from calling this number' I did apologise buti was not to know.

Rachael

Hi there - sorry I tend to be the "night shift" & am a bit late.
In your situation, & absence of vet advice today, I'd carry on with the drugs & get 'phone advice from vet tomorrow. Fluid intake is as important as eating
here - wetting veg with cold boiled water helps as do bunny "mushies".

"string of beads" poops will usually pass if the bunny has plenty of fluid & the lower gut [colon] is working well. You'll know the worry that if the colon goes on strike the string of beads can make a tangled mass that's difficult to pass. WHY do buns do this when in moult? :roll:
It's the usual of trying to reduce the fur eaten during grooming in moult. Both bunnies need brushing or if fed up - stroking with a damp hand gets a lot out.

I'm so sorry about the reception you had from the duty vet over a simple question. Hang on in there. Hoping things are steadily improving for you.
All the best Judy & Thumper.

Hey Judy and Thumper

Thank you for your advise.
He has been eating very well today and seems quite happy in himself which is excellent.
The rude vet did say that it is not ness to continue the drugs now if he is pooping and eating well.
I will call our regular vet tomorrow or maybe pop in and show them the poops and find out where to go from here.
I am trying to feed him lots at the moment just to keep things moving until he is 100%.

Rachael

Hehe thats what I keep saying to him lol :)

I am like one of those 'crazy' mummys getting all excited when I see he has done some poos! :lol:

Back