• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Antibiotics with steriods

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Have to take Molly back to the vet because she has a pussy abscess at an old abscess site, so am going to get them to do a c+s test. But she'll probably be put on baytril in the meantime. She had a second anti-inflammatory/steroid on Monday, is it ok to have antibiotics at the same time?

She should NOT be having steroids with an active bacterial infection !!

I cant get involved in this any more as I am sick of repeating myself

RABBITS+STEROIDS=SUPRESSED IMMUNE SYSTEM

RABBITS+SUPRESSED IMMUNE SYSTEM=HIGH RISK OF BACTERIAL INFECTION

I and others have advised about this til we are blue in the face.

If Molly had a steroid injection she should also have had abx cover given her past history of abscesses.

I have lost count of the number of times I have posted this advice and this will be my last

She should NOT be having steroids with an active bacterial infection !!

I cant get involved in this any more as I am sick of repeating myself

RABBITS+STEROIDS=SUPRESSED IMMUNE SYSTEM

RABBITS+SUPRESSED IMMUNE SYSTEM=HIGH RISK OF BACTERIAL INFECTION

I and others have advised about this til we are blue in the face.

If Molly had a steroid injection she should also have had abx cover given her past history of abscesses.

I have lost count of the number of times I have posted this advice and this will be my last

WHATTTT?!?!?!?

The abscess only appeared today, it was fine when she had the steroid injection. I'm fed up with you and others having a go at me all the time, when I'm trying to do my best for Molly. I'll have to find further help on her sore hocks elsewhere. Thanks a lot!!! :censored::evil:

WHATTTT?!?!?!?

The abscess only appeared today, it was fine when she had the steroid injection. I'm fed up with you and others having a go at me all the time, when I'm trying to do my best for Molly. I'll have to find further help on her sore hocks elsewhere. Thanks a lot!!! :censored::evil:

Fine :)

You mean somone who actually says what you want to hear :roll: I think Jacks Jane knows FAR more than you could ever know about rabbits in general and I've personally learnt no end from her.

Hope you get the answers you want from whoever you deem good enough. :)

You mean somone who actually says what you want to hear :roll: I think Jacks Jane knows FAR more than you could ever know about rabbits in general and I've personally learnt no end from her.

Hope you get the answers you want from whoever you deem good enough. :)

no actually, someone who's very experienced and has been through this before, but can help me in a much kinder way, then shouting at me and demanding I do this and that.

Ok guys, can we not turn it into one row, perhaps if you're feeling you can't help the OP for whatever reason then it's best not to reply to the thread. It is a shame to lock a health topic, so please can we keep it friendly :D

What people are trying to say is that because Molly suffers from sore hocks and frequent infections she should not be having steriods. Steriods lower the immune system which is dangerous in a bun such as Molly. If a steriod has been given then yes she will need anti-biotics due to the steriod lowering her immune system.

I would try and find myself a different vet to be honest.

Ok guys, can we not turn it into one row, perhaps if you're feeling you can't help the OP for whatever reason then it's best not to reply to the thread. It is a shame to lock a health topic, so please can we keep it friendly :D

Sorry :oops: I'll just run around picking up the toys that have been thrown out, that will calm me down.

When Nibbles was on steroids for her abscess she had ceporex injection, plus a vitamin tonic made by the vet, I can find the topic if you want with the list of stuff she was on?

I would try and find myself a different vet to be honest.

Guy Carter, who's supposed to be one of the best rabbit vets was not very helpful, and didn't seem to do anything, other than give huge doses of baytril (1.2ml twice daily, when the safe dose is 0.4ml twice daily for a 2kg bun).

My parents won't move vets as they think this vet is good enough and trust them loads, so moving vets is a big no-no.

When Nibbles was on steroids for her abscess she had ceporex injection, plus a vitamin tonic made by the vet, I can find the topic if you want with the list of stuff she was on?

Ok scrap that just looked it up, I got it wrong, she was on steriods for skin condition,

Back