• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NOT at it like rabbits!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xGemx

New Kit
Hello,

We introduced our new female bunny Simba (lionHead) to Frank (Mini Lop) about 10 weeks ago. The first thing he did when he saw her was get on top and start mating! I pulled him off as I was told that she was too young at 10wks and if she had of gotten pregnant she would of broken her pelvis?
Since then I have never seen them 'doing it'

Do you think I have put them off since pulling him off her?? and how can I get them to have babies??

Hello,

We introduced our new female bunny Simba (lionHead) to Frank (Mini Lop) about 10 weeks ago. The first thing he did when he saw her was get on top and start mating! I pulled him off as I was told that she was too young at 10wks and if she had of gotten pregnant she would of broken her pelvis?

Do you think I have put them off since pulling him off her?? and how can I get them to have babies??

are u for real?? :shock: pulling a male bun off a doe does not put them off.

so how come there never at it???

and yes I am for real else I wouldn't of asked!

Can I ask WHY you want to breed....

No offence, but if you are asking questions like this you really shouldn't be breeding. There are over 33,000 (I get sick of saying that) rabbits in rescues waiting for new homes every year...probably more now due to the recession. Why add more..

You will find this forum is anti breeding and pro-rescue, although there are a few serious breeders on here that may be able to offer you more advice.:)

so how come there never at it???

and yes I am for real else I wouldn't of asked!

It only takes 5 seconds, if that for them to have successfully mated. So unless you have supervised them 24-7, you do not know if he has.

May i ask why you want babies?

33,000 rabbits every year end up in rescue.

If you are to breed, you must know 3 generations on each side to know if you are breeding any genetic problems into the litter.

These problems may not be visible on your pair, so by saying "they are in good health", means nothing at all.

These problems can be:

Heart defects
Brain defects
Incisor malocllusion
Molar spurs
Sore hocks

If i were you, i would seperate them now.
Get them both neutered, and bond them back together as friends.

sorry if i appeared rude, how old are the buns now, if the mum is too young its not fair on her to let her have babies, also have u got a seperate hutch for the male if she is pregnant which she probably will be. U need to know what u are doing to breed buns, too many babies end up in rescue its not fair, they don`t stay cute and little for long they turn into hormonal teenagers and then the fun starts:?

Hello,

*Takes deep breath*

Firstly did you ever find out why Frank's Sister Sally died so suddenly ?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=185768

Has Frank been checked by a Vet and treated with a course of Panacur incase Sally's death was related to Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

Do you know the genetic history of both Frank and the new Doe?
Both Lops and Lionheads are very prone to CONGENITAL DENTAL DISEASE.
Are you 100% certain neither Frank or the new Doe are not effected? If they are and you breed from them you are consigning all their off-spring to a life of ill health due to an inherited disorder.

My advice to you would be to get both Rabbits neutered and allow them to live out a happy life together as pets.

*Takes deep breath*

Firstly did you ever find out why Frank's Sister Sally died so suddenly ?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=185768

Has Frank been checked by a Vet and treated with a course of Panacur incase Sally's death was related to Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

Do you know the genetic history of both Frank and the new Doe?
Both Lops and Lionheads are very prone to CONGENITAL DENTAL DISEASE.
Are you 100% certain neither Frank or the new Doe are not effected? If they are and you breed from them you are consigning all their off-spring to a life of ill health due to an inherited disorder.

My advice to you would be to get both Rabbits neutered and allow them to live out a happy life together as pets.

Aparently Sally died from a breeding problem. Her mum and Dad were brother and sister?
Youl be happy to know though that Frank is very happy. He loves Simba they play about in the garden n always snuggle into one another! Its quite funny as she is very excited and her is quite clam, he tries to catch her up bt he has no chance! I will put some pics up if you would like to see them.

I have no problem with them not breeding we were just curious as everyone says they should not be kept together because they will be at it all the time when there not.

If I shouldn't be worried then thats fine?

i think If we did breed we wouldn't for a while as there my first bunnies and i dont really know alot about them.

Do you think I should separate them now??

Aparently Sally died from a breeding problem. Her mum and Dad were brother and sister?
Youl be happy to know though that Frank is very happy. He loves Simba they play about in the garden n always snuggle into one another! Its quite funny as she is very excited and her is quite clam, he tries to catch her up bt he has no chance! I will put some pics up if you would like to see them.

I have no problem with them not breeding we were just curious as everyone says they should not be kept together because they will be at it all the time when there not.

i think If we did breed we wouldn't for a while as there my first bunnies and i dont really know alot about them.

You must separate them now, really. If she is pregnant it is not good for the kits if he continues to mount her. If she's not, excellent. Please consider getting them both neutered. They will have happier lives. When she hits puberty they will probably fight anyway.

If Franks sister died from breeding problems then Frank will be carrying the same problem and you should NOT breed from him.

Separate them today, ring and book their neuters then bond them properly when they have both been done.

After the male is done he is still fertile for up to 8 weeks so will need to be separate from the female for that time unless she is done already.

I think you should seperate, neuter, and then reintroduce... and never contemplate breeding if I am at all honest. Frank is from the same litter as Sally isn't he.. which means you should definitely NOT breed from him.

Breeding should only be done to 'improve' a breed, and like others have said, you must know genetic history three generations or more back. By knowing their history I don't mean simply know where they are coming from... and because Frank is inbred, and I don't doubt his parents were too, by breeding him you are just joining the millions of other irresponsible back yard breeders out there.

I'd be surprised if Simba wasn't actually pregnant by now, but personally I would have the split up today and booked in to be neutered. You can then enjoy your pets without worrying about the responsibility that goes with having a litter of kits to raise and rehome. It's very stressful!

I feel awful now! Im sorry if you all think im a bad owner! I went off the advice of the lady wjho I got thm from, Clearly she was a fool!

Thankyou for all your advice. I will get them separated. Can i still let them out together!

I feel so Stupid! I love animals, please no one think I would do anything to hurt them!

:(

I feel awful now! Im sorry if you all think im a bad owner! I went off the advice of the lady wjho I got thm from, Clearly she was a fool!

Thankyou for all your advice. I will get them separated. Can i still let them out together!

I feel so Stupid! I love animals, please no one think I would do anything to hurt them!

:(

I don't think you are a bad owner, just misguided like the majority of pet owners!:)

When I first had rabbits as a child we let them breed, not intentionally, but because we didn't know any better and had been letting them 'play' together.

People feel so strongly about it because rabbits are bred and sold so cheaply, people buy them thinking they are cute as babies and once they grow up they are then bored of them... rabbit then ends up stuck in a little hutch and leads a miserable life for the remainder of it's days. They are the most neglected pet in the UK and people on here have seen the worst cases...

No, you can't allow them to exercise together until they have been neutered. If you just have the male done you need to wait 6 weeks after his op before allowing them near each other.

No worries of my bunnies getting ne-glected....

If anything my bf get neglected because im always with them :)

Thanks Guys!
x

I dont think you're bad just very very badly informed, if you seperate them now and get them both neutered we'll help with advice on bonding them and you'll end up with two very happy snuggle buns :) You cant let them near each other until they are both neutered.

No worries of my bunnies getting ne-glected....

If anything my bf get neglected because im always with them :)

Thanks Guys!
x

there is a lot more to bunny care and needs than [eople realise and hundreds of thousands of bunnys sit in rescues waiting for homes. a good breeder (should you decide to go into this route) should at a minimum do the following: have 4generations of history for each of the rabbits to ensure no genetic problems such as the tragic ones that your other rabbit died from, this also makes for less complications during birth, they should have a 6x2x2ft hutch attatched to a 6x6ft run for each rabbit and enough space and money to provide this for every baby bun in case the right homes are not found, they should be able to afford to spay or neuter all bunnnys who are bred from age 3years to prevent cancer and allow a happy bonding where the rabbits can live together if introduced in a neutral area, and only breed a maximum of twice a year to give the mother adequet rest, ensure all rabbits are vaccinated against both vhd and myxi (including babies once old enough) have access to a good vet in case of complications(bear in mind rabbits are classed as a specialty species and an exotic) they should have enough time for daily cleaning of litter trays and be able to quarrintine any sick pets, in addition to these you must provide stimulation in the form of toys, provide a clean safe fox proofed enclosure which is spacious, be aware of a bunny who is lactatings needs dietry and generally, be prepared to have rabbits live to 14years. be able to home check every home to ensure they can provide for the babies, be prepared emotionaly to sell off the babies and remove them from their mother, to be able to clearly sex them and seperate at 10weeks, to never give up any babies before 8weeks of age be prepared adn aware of how to hand rear a baby should it need it, be prepared to deal with a mother who has problems during labour and who could die, be prepared for not all babies to make it and the possibility of the mother causing them harm (it can occour in some instances)

provide a good healthy diet a balence of variety of veg and herbs, fresh water 85% good quality hay and a pelleted diet in addition.

im pleased tho you have decided not to breed them i htink they should both be neutered and vaccianted and then they can be rebonded once their hormones have calmed down, humping in a neutered pair is common too but for dominance, the bonding will need to take place in a small neutral area. be aware males are fertile up to 6 weeks after their op too so dont think of reintroducing them until both are done. best of luck with your rabbits i think you should spend some time enjoying them as bunnys and learning about their behaviours,....flops, binkys, tooth purring, signs of distress, illnesses such as stasis cancer, bloat etc.... and post some piccys of them soon good luck rabbits make good pets but i think that only a responsible breeder should try to breed them. i think these are very few and far between i have to say honestly.

I'd keep them separated at all times until your vet says they are OK to be re-bonded, after neutering. Even if you watched them like a hawk, letting them 'play together' in a run or whatever, they could mate in a split second before you could even wrestle him off her.:roll: Also, all this time you have put him at risk of some eye watering injuries - they frequently hump 'the wrong end' and it doesn't take much for a doe to bite something sensitive! If you can afford the unnecessary vet fees for that and yet haven't got em insured/neutered, it seems odd. Also - just curious - were you planning on keeping any kits? How were you planning to hosue them? Yu might get 8 in a litter and an acceptable sized hutch/shed for one bun or a pair would be a minimum of £99..? How could you re-home them responsibly, either if you couldn't have given potential owners the right info re. care, welfare etc?

Hi there,:wave:

I think you need to ensure they are seperated asap as your female bunny is way too young.

I would get her down to the vets & have her checked by a vet to ensure she isnt pregnant.

There is a famous saying "At it like Rabbits" It really does mean what it says & they will be at it like rabbits if not seperated.

Plus they really ought to be neutered then bonded together & given a home that is big enough for two buns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back