• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Red Scaly Skin Patch

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I just noticed that Eddison has a red dry patch of skin on the back of his neck. Looks a lot like the eczema I get on my arms. He's a lionhead, and the fur looks pretty thin where this red patch is.

IMG_0453.jpg

Does anyone know what this is and how I can help him?

I can't really tell from the pic but first thoughts would be mites, a reaction to a recent injection or an insect bite xx
Eta: sometimes they get a mark there if somebuns been humping them too xx

I can't really tell from the pic but first thoughts would be mites, a reaction to a recent injection or an insect bite xx
Eta: sometimes they get a mark there if somebuns been humping them too xx

Fur mite would be my first thought, but I've never actually seen them in person.

My buns don't get injections in the US, and would an insect bite be very dry and almost flaky?

Also, he is currently by himself, so no bun humping. :?

*bump*

Should I take him to the vet? Is it a big deal?

Well I agree mites sound most likely, you can check with a magnifying glass if you want to be sure. Mites can cause intense itchiness so worth treating. A course of ivermectin drops should sort them out. In the UK you can get them from the vets or online but i don't know about the US.
Sometime an attack of mites occur when a bunny is ill or rundown so it's worth investigating whether there is an underlying cause xx

Well I agree mites sound most likely, you can check with a magnifying glass if you want to be sure. Mites can cause intense itchiness so worth treating. A course of ivermectin drops should sort them out. In the UK you can get them from the vets or online but i don't know about the US.
Sometime an attack of mites occur when a bunny is ill or rundown so it's worth investigating whether there is an underlying cause xx

Thanks, lilbun. I just don't want to hurt him with medication if it isn't mites and I'm overreacting.

I'll assume everyone else's silence is silent agreement with you. :?

Thanks, lilbun. I just don't want to hurt him with medication if it isn't mites and I'm overreacting.

I'll assume everyone else's silence is silent agreement with you. :?

Or we are both on everyone's ignore list! :wave:

Back