• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunny questions...

MiniMadTez

Mama Doe
For those of you with house bunnies, how long do you let them out to roam in your house? or do you leave them all the time?

Mooch has a Nero cage on a stand, and I currently let him out when I get home from work (about 3) and put him back in when I go to my bed (anything from 10-midnight), I am going to start putting his cage on the floor with the front door open so he can suit himself, but I am certain he would never choose to go into his cage, he prefers lying stretched out next to the sofa for hours. Also, if I do this, should I close him into his cage at a certain time and open it at a certain time? do rabbits benefit from a set routine like other animals? I dont want to leave him free roaming all night, as I only trust the dog with him under supervision, and Mooch would find things to chew that he knows he isn't meant to!

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to get Mooch into a better routine etc. :D

Any help much appreciated!

Could you perhaps put a pen around his cage....

None of mine have cages, they have only ever been caged when they first came here to litter train them! I don't have a problem with them chewing anything other than wallpaper :roll:

I have five indoors, two pairs and one single. I make sure they are shut in seperate rooms when I am not home, the rest of the time they are in their own rooms and I alternate their free range (the whole house) time. They all go out into the garden each day too.. :)

When I just had the one bun (seems so long ago now!) she was completely free range and I hardly noticed she was there.. she just had a couple of litter trays and was the perfect house rabbit... If I had been out somewhere she would come running to the front door when I got home :love:

Mine are in a large playpen when i am at work and out whenever i am home, there is no way i could leave them free all the time, they are too naughty :roll:

If I had been out somewhere she would come running to the front door when I got home :love:

CUTE! I don't think Mooch would care if I was in or out!!! He would probably be glad of the peace if I went out and left him!
He does love cuddles, but if its the choice of running about or getting cuddled, I doubt he'd pick the cuddles! :roll:

I do like the idea of leaving him out most of the time, hes so happy when hes running about (and yes, running, he doesnt hop like rabbits should for some reason!). :lol:

Jose's in a 5ft by 6ft nic cube set up when we're not in and during the week he gets let out at about 7.30pm and is out till about 10.30pm ish. Of a weekend, we let him out as much as we can.

CUTE! I don't think Mooch would care if I was in or out!!! He would probably be glad of the peace if I went out and left him!
He does love cuddles, but if its the choice of running about or getting cuddled, I doubt he'd pick the cuddles! :roll:

I do like the idea of leaving him out most of the time, hes so happy when hes running about (and yes, running, he doesnt hop like rabbits should for some reason!). :lol:

My Jose's the same! He doesnt do sitting still, he runs round and round and round the settee in circles, over and over again! :lol:

My Jose's the same! He doesnt do sitting still, he runs round and round and round the settee in circles, over and over again! :lol:

It is funny watching Mooch running! :) He loves being out. He tried to share the dogs bed the other night, Tyson freaked. Yes, my dog is scared of the rabbit!

I would put a pen around the cage so he can have the option to come in and out when he pleases.

When my two outdoor buns have come in when they have been poorly, they have been in a 42" dog crate, with free range of a room.

:)

Taz and Maisie have effectively free run of the downstairs, in theory they are shut in the kitchen at night, but they have learnt how to open the door so let themselves back into the front room :shock::shock:
They do have a dog crate,but I only shut them in when its for their safety, say when we have the front door open or if the back gate is open (they come and go in and out of the house usually when we are at home)

Alvin and pearl have a large cage made out of pens during the day, they then get out from 6pm till 11pm (any variation on this i am made to pay :shock:)

they are so used to our routine now, when i open the cage early on a weekend they refuse to leave the cage :lol::lol:

Milo and Eddison have 5' x 5' NIC condos when I'm at work/school, but when I come home, they come out immediately.

I feed my buns on a fixed schedule, and change their litter on a fixed schedule, but whenever I'm home (which is not a fixed schedule!), they get to run around. I think they just want as much time out as possible! :)

My pair have a double hutch with NIC attached for when we are out. During the week they are let out for an hour in the morning b4 work and then from 4.30 till 11 at night then allday at weekends. Could not leave them freerange all the time, we did when we went away and had no house left when we got back. They get bored without us humans shouting at them and chewed their way through everything visiable, mostly my walls. They are on a routine tho, they sit there waiting for my boyf to get in from work with their legs crossed, as soon as he lets them out the run to the litter trays, its like they wont do their business in their house they wait to do it in mine. Love them the silly things !

Bella is freerange 24/7. The only thing is we have to shut our bedroom door at night otherwise she jumps on our heads when we're in bed. And a 7kg giant on your head at 3am isn't really the best way to get some sleep!

Misletoe has one of the P@H indoor cages as his base - it's where he eats and does his business :roll:, but he has free access to the hall, stairs and landing when we are out and the whole house when we are in. It's only the alarm sensors that stop us giving him free range all the time. I bought a nice dog bed and blanket for him to sleep on, but he only ever wee's in it, and then just sits by the side on the carpet so I have given up on that one! :lol:

I have two in the house, they are kept in my bedroom and i have a dog crate in their, they never get locked in their though the door is always left open, when im home i sometimes just leave my door open, Sophie doesnt come out the room but Pringle runs around the hall/strairs etc daft, he always sits at livingroom door waiting on someone going out. Cant let them in livingroom/kitchen as thats where dogs and cat are :) xx

My two don't have any sort of cage. When we're not in they are in the dining room/kitchen which is about 20 ft by 10ft. When we're in the living room they come in there. We keep the bedroom doors closed just in case but neither of them have shown any interest in the stairs yet. We don't let them into the living room when we aren't there as I don't trust them enough yet:oops: They also get some supervised, free range time in the garden to play every day if it's not raining.

Blue is free range when we're home, the rest of the time he gets shut in the kitchen where he has a hutch as a base.
Bea has an inclosure in the spare room which is about 5x9 ft. She has a 48 inch dog crate in there and gets let out into the rest of the room when someone is up there with her.

I think it depends very much on the rabbit & how naughty they are!

I have 2 house bunnies and they are free range in our living room 24/7 (we have covered all the wires to bunny proof it). But they are very good bunnies, they don't chew the furniture, they're litter trained and they don't even attempt to venture into other rooms! never go near the stairs or into the kitchen! We have had other rabbits in who are a nightmare and I would be less inclined to give such freedom too!

I'd suggest leaving them out for longer & seeing if they can be trusted!

My 2 live in the dining room, which they have taken over. They have a 5ft x 2ft cage with a 2 ft shelf which they are never locked in (they looked sad when I tried to shut them in it so I gave in).

They are free range around most of the house and garden when I am around to supervise them. I am building a nice big run in the garden to attach to their outdoor hutch for if we get nice weather as they are good lawn mowers.

I agree it depends on how naughty the rabbit is as to the freedom they can have. Cassie has a liking for carpet so wouldn't let her free range in a carpeted area without supervising her.

Back