• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbits breeding info

sully gill

New Kit
so im breeding my rabbit with my mates sisters rabbit we have found 8 homes that are willing to take 1 or more if my rabbit has 8 i need advice please help when its pregnant do we take it to the vets help from the beggi ning of mating to the birth please

Oh sweet Jesus.

:roll:

I am off to the vets now to pick up 2 buns who have lifelong problems due to inbreeding and bad breeding :wave:

Why do you want to breed?

There are 33,000 rabbits dumped in rescues every year.

If you do not know 3 generations on both sides of each rabbit. You will more than likely be breeding dental and other problems into the litter.

Here are some basics on what equipment you need and how pregnancy effects the rabbits: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

I would strongly advise against breeding two rabbits unless you know there full family history. Most pet shop rabbits carry genes for bad teeth as well as other problems so put two together and you've no way of predicting the result.

Would the homes you've found still be interested if the rabbits you produce will need regular dental treatment at £40-60 per 6 week treatment?

Tamsin

It's fabulous that you have found 8 people who would like to give a rabbit or 2 a lovely, forever home - please direct them to www.rabbitrehome.org.uk where they will be able to find a resce near them with a choice of many beautiful rabbits.

Hello :wave:

Welcome to the forum.

This forum is a fantastic bunny paradise of a place, we love rabbits and everyone who loves rabbits is welcome.

Here comes the but...we are all involved in the best welfare of rabbits, that means not breeding them. Some of us only adopt rabbits from rescues, others foster, others run rescues or volunteer at them in many ways.

This forum is connected with the site 'Rabbit Rehome' that try to find good homes for rabbits across the country.

If you want to breed you are really not in the best of places as many people on here might not be as helpful as you would like.

Why don't you read some of the threads on this forum in the Rabbit Welfare section especially to see how you can make the lives of the bun you have better. Then if you really have to breed you can do so with the knowledge you are doing it in the best possible way.

Also, have a look at these leaflets- they were of enormous help to me when I started. http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

All the best

Emma

I wouldn't recommend it... not because I am against breeding but it doesn't sound like you know enough to just breed them.
Breeding is more than putting two rabbits together.
You shouldn't take her to the vets constantly, heavens, that would just stress the doe and she might abort or kill her babies.
The rabbit shouldn't be handled much at all in the last week or so of the pregnancy.
Do you know how long a pregnancy for rabbits last or how long weaning is?
Do you have time to give extra care for the doe for 3 months?
How old is the doe? If she's over 1.5 and hasn't had her first litter yet its too late.
This other rabbit, are you sure they are not related? Or what about pedigrees? Do any of them carry genetic diseases or defects? (And no genetic diseases are NOT always visible on a rabbit, but the offspring can suffer badly from it).
Are they of the same breed? and if not is the size difference great?
And then there's sexing.. Are you confident in telling the sex of young rabbits? Its not easy. Even breeders have problems at the first weeks. (It took 6 weeks for me to say for sure, even though some of the babies developed faster). You do not want to sell two female rabbits to a new home only to find out you were wrong. A lot of people have had accidental litters from does far too young because of this.
What will you do if the doe has MORE than 8 kits? My doe had 12... it wasn't funny. Most of them were skinny and frail, and only 4 of them lived past two weeks, despite me feeding the mother near unlimited food.

I'll go with the ones saying you should get your friends to adopt. Better leave breeding to professionals, and help a bun in need:wave:

Hello :wave:

Welcome to the forum.

This forum is a fantastic bunny paradise of a place, we love rabbits and everyone who loves rabbits is welcome.

Here comes the but...we are all involved in the best welfare of rabbits, that means not breeding them. Some of us only adopt rabbits from rescues, others foster, others run rescues or volunteer at them in many ways.

This forum is connected with the site 'Rabbit Rehome' that try to find good homes for rabbits across the country.

If you want to breed you are really not in the best of places as many people on here might not be as helpful as you would like.

Why don't you read some of the threads on this forum in the Rabbit Welfare section especially to see how you can make the lives of the bun you have better. Then if you really have to breed you can do so with the knowledge you are doing it in the best possible way.

Also, have a look at these leaflets- they were of enormous help to me when I started. http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

All the best

Emma

A very nice post - I couldn't have put it better.

i know that i am a breeder myself .. but i urge u not to go into it lightheartedly things can go wrong and you may loose a loved pet i have loads of litters during my time as a breeder but i still cry if i find a still born or a baby rabbit doesn't make it.. if you are serious take your rabbits ( the two u wanna breed) and get the vet to check them over and make sure they are healthy and are not going to pass anything onto the baby's

so im breeding my rabbit with my mates sisters rabbit we have found 8 homes that are willing to take 1 or more if my rabbit has 8 i need advice please help when its pregnant do we take it to the vets help from the beggi ning of mating to the birth please

i dont really think you should be breeding your bunnies as you clearly dont know what you are doing, buns are not toys!!

i am a breeder and believe me it is not something to be entered in to lightly.

Why do you want to breed there are plenty in rescue as it is :(
You could be adding to that number.
It wont be easy, as with any animal having young.
Are you really prepared for it ?
Are other people going to be left trying to fix the mistakes that may happen with you thinking it's 'cool' to breed.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but as a person who is now trying to fix another persons ignorance on rabbits ( have a pregnant rescue rabbit who has already lost a litter), it gets me upset when people go in to this.

My Teddy is from a hobbyist breeder, so I have nothing against responsible breedeing, but I'd STRONGLY advise not to breed your rabbit!! You don't seem to know anything about it and possibly don't know the parantage of the bunnies. You risk serious problems with the babies. Aside from everything that people have said already, which is the most important stuff about the welfare of them (you don't need to be told the same information again...although re-read what they have said!) It is not kind to let a female rabbit have one litter and then stop. After the initial litter your, previously lovely, girl could become a hormone raging monster! What would you do then, her spraying everywhere.
The only point I will reiterate is that if she is over a year then she can't physically give birth!
Please advise the prospective owners to rescue.

Ali and Teddy xx

Please, just don't.

:shock:

hmmmm...I have a feeling that she's ignoring the advice....please tell us waht you've decided to do. You've got us all worrying!

I know they've all said it, but I wanted to support them. Please don't breed them. I know baby bunnies sound really cute but:
  1. It's dangerous for the female and she could die.
  2. There is so much you need to take into consideration like the right food to feed a pregnant doe.
  3. Too many rabits are sexed wrongly and breed, the babies dumped.
  4. Too many rabbits are dumped and need homes.

Why do you want to breed them?

Please read the other threads on here about the recues being completely overwhelmed with unwanted rabbits. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH GOOD HOMES TO GO AROUND!!!! Please re consider.

this forum is primarily made up of rescuers and so you may find many posts unhelpful and blunt as we are mainly anti breeding, to give you an idea of why here are the reasons i have,
im not anti breeding but it must be done as careefully as possible.

you should have a 6x3x2ft hutch for every rabbit you have, each rabbit who is born must also have a hutch of this sortv size, and each hutch should have a run of aroudn 6x6ft sq and 3ft tall attatched or with access.

you will find when breeding you may become attatched to a bunny and then how will you give it up? most people dont know about the needs or rabbits(here are just a few: spotting illnesses within hours is vital for survival gut stasis, bloat, dental issues, breed prone problems, myxi,vhd etc)

remember that every rabbit you own will need 3 injection s a year regardles sof whether you breed them or not adn if you are breeding a 28day course of pannacur is reccomended too prior to mating to stop ec being present which can cuase complications.

be aware that some bunnys are not good mothers and so will over groom resulting in limb or ear loss, will attack a baby if they dont smell or seem right or if themy are moved or worried, the mother may nont feed if this is the case then you would need to hand rear with goats milk which is often highly unsucessful and so many die this way.

mum bun may die or suffer complications during birth and may need emergancy vet treatment from a rabbit savvy vet who you need to know from the offset deals with exotics like rabbits.

also all good breeders have the history of at least 4 generations this prevents imbreeding and genetic illnesses and problems which sometimes dont become apparent till later in life. anything from teeth mis alignement to sorre hocks to heart isses and deformaties,

of course you would also need to be aware that there is no money to be mnade in breeding and it can be traumatic for the rabbit as you are removing its babies at 8 weeks and also then leaving it alone again. most rabbits thrive and live longest if they have been spayed/neutered and vaccinated and live in a pair in large accomodation. i urge you to think of why you wish to breed as it isnt always plain sialing and think while it may be nice to have kits around how the mother will feel having them taken away from her, and at around 2 or 3 years of age a spay and retirement for a breeding doe is needed else the risk of uterine cancer or pyometra becomes higher. i am not having a go jsut making you aware of the current problems you could face im sure breeders out there can give you more information i havent mentioned making sure that the new owners will provide lifelong care for teh 12 years their pet bunn y will be with them or the costs involved in spaying or neutering the babies and vaccinating or the need for an 85% diet of hay and a good high fibre pelleted food and access to a highly savvy vet and access to a 6x2x2ft htuch and 6x6ft run as i assume you will put all that in the fact sheet you give them and lifelong protection in that you could take back any bunnys you have bred should they then need rehoming to equally good homes. x

Back