• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need urgent advice please!

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
hiya

I know its a bit f a long one but please read.

I have a small area of my garden which is kind of like a side garden that's patioed. I have doors leading out to this part of the garde. This section is split into two; the further bit for the rabbits hutch and secure area, the nearer section (just outsid ethe doors) for my puppy to do his thing. I m swilling down the whole area every night but im starting toget flies despite this. Also, i can't keep the doors open for \chester cos they are all coming into the house.Im concerned about having so many flies in such a close proximity to my buns at this time of year.

I really really need some advice. Ive heard of something called citronella? Please please help if you can cos im starting to get a bit concerned now. My fella is going down the shop in a minute so if anyone has any ideas can you let me know before he goes the shop! Ta!!

Lisa xxx

get some rear guard prescription only from vets this stops any fly eggs from hatching on the rabbit.
some vets use xenex now too i hate it and it gave chelsea a horrible chemical burn iv also heard many other rabbit owners who arent happy however i donknow some people find its ok. i prefer rear gaurd. x
also daily bum checks...
regulrly disinfecting and then washing down the area the flys seem to be accumalating fly nets and fly tape may also be possibilitys? make sure all buns upto date on injecetons too as insects can transmit myxi if biting ones. x

Well I can tell you about Citronella, it is a natural oil that smells like lemons, you can get it at the chemists usually (Oil of Citronella) I used to use it (diluted) in a plant spray as a fly repellant on my horse - the pharmacist used to tell me that a few drops on a piece of kitchen roll on the kitchen window sill would keep flies out of the kitchen. There was talk on here recently though about it possibly having been banned in horse fly repellants etc because of it causing allergies/reactions but I can't tell you about that.

I wonder if you are using something to wash down the puppy poop area? Perhaps a pet safe disinfectant then allow to dry of course.

I use citronella oil.I put it on cotton wool,wrap it in muslin and pin it to sheds/hutches.I also spray litter trays with it.

just boiling water at night. I was scared of using disinfectant in case it affected the rabbits. Everytime he poos or wees, its being cleaned up and sprayed with a odour thingy. Ive put the rabbits in their hutch and put their fly cover on until I think of something. :(

I dilute it with water to spay litter trays,you only need a few drops,i put it on neat on cotton wool to pin up:D

Hi - just wondering, how long do you find the citronella lasts?

Noticed a few flies buzzing round the enclosure today and tried your trick of cotton wool balls soaked in citronella - checked after about 30 mins and there was (and still is) no sign of flies :thumb:

Just wondering how often you change/re-soak the cotton wool?

Cheers :)

Back