• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oscar bunny has a runny nose... snuffles?

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
What are the signs of a bunny with snuffles...?

Oscar has been sneezing quite a bit lately... and tonight I noticed he has a clear discharge (not much) in both nostrils. I cant see that he has anything stuck up there like hay or anything... but it is a possibility.

He is eating, drinking and playing normally. His paws aren't covered in discharge, although he is rubbing his nose a little.

He is sleeping in hay (not dust extracted).... however he has been having this hay for some time... and i've not noticed any problems before.

Could this be an allergy as opposed to an infection? Is there any way of confirming snuffles via a test or something?

He has something similar a couple of years ago... he was given baytril and it didnt real make much of a difference and disappeared by its own accord. My vet thought it could be allergies as his breathing was normal.

Any advice is appreciated.

I haven't put this in health as im not sure what is going on.... if it was snuffles then that is where i would put this thread....

Last edited:
Thanks Jane, I could really do with your advice. There is little improvement with the nasal discharge. It seems a little thicker and ranging in colour from clear to white. He is still being his normal self. He is sneezing still, although I think this may be slightly less. He is cleaning his nose a lot too.

I know very little about snuffles or what this could be.... please help!

I think he was given such a low dose because we weren't sure if he was having a reaction to something in his environment. He was given the 0.1ml (twice daily) to see if there was any improvement... if not then we would go back.

Looking back on his records, he had something very similar to this 2 years ago, and he was given the small dose of baytril, twice daily and he recovered just fine.

His eyes are clear... it is just his nose which is running.

If Oscar continues to show no improvement, I will take him back to the vets to see what they suggest I do next.

At the moment, he is eating and drinking and behaving normally (for Oscar :lol:).

Thanks for your help.

Back