• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trios? Space, time, difficulty

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi All

I lost Huppie over the weekend and it is killing me watching Rambi suffer. Anyway, I want some good to come out of losing her as I feel I am to blame. I was thinking of bonding Rambi with two other rabbits from my local rescue.

Do i have enough space? They have 24/7 access to 8 square metres (about 80 square feet I think). In this space is a 2-storey hutch (5'x2'x2' each floor) and various climbing frames for them to get heavy-duty exercise. Is this enough for three?

If it is enough, how much harder is it to look after/clean three than two? Hubby is against the idea of three because he thinks the workload (which is mine I hasten to add!!!) will be much more. After the initial territory marking and litter training period I'm sure it will be about the same - clean loo everyday etc etc. The money isn't an issue.

Thanks

Emma

In my opinion, having three is no more work than two, especially if they all use the same litter trays etc. Food and litter costs for three will be slightly higher but still minimal but you will have to bear in mind that veterinary treatment/vaccination costs will be higher (although you've already got this covered).

I would say that the square footage you mention is fine for three buns. I'm guessing the hutch is just a 'shelter' as they have 24/7 access to the run so I would say it was OK size wise. Mine have 24/7 access to sheds and runs and even in the depths of winter, they rarely use the sheds and choose to stay outdoors.

The hutch was a complete waste of money - Rambi uses it as an obstacle course and has recently taken to shovelling things about in there. Huppie used to destroy the bedding every so often but other than that hardly used it. Only when it got to about minus 5 did they take to it to sleep in. Oh well...

They are balcony buns - the whole space is covered by a roof and solid walls, only one wall is half open but it is still a brick wall 1.5 metres high. There is always somewhere shady, dry and protected from all elements. We are very lucky to have such a large balcony! The balcony door is off of the living room - I keep hoping they will come in but only noses have poked through to date...

Emma

Back