• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting rid of rabbit wee smell

footballgirl

Alpha Buck
My 19wk old netherland dwarf female decided not to use her litter tray a couple of times and i didnt notice til I was cleaning it out. She is, well was, litter trained but for the past wk she has been weeing in other places. Now I check daily and wipe up any of the wee. After reading on here, I think it is probably her hormones but she is going in for her jab on friday, so will ask the vet to take a quick look.

I have vinyl floors tiles stuck on wood, which get pulled out for a deep clean, now that wood has gone rotten so were gonna change that. The hutch corner and floor got saturated in wee as well. I've cleaned it with soapy water and disinfectant but it hasnt got rid of the smell. What can I use to get rid of the smell?

Secondly, I was reading on here about keeping away flies by using lavender. I found this cleaning spray http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...ucts_id=2264:16591f602d3d3e1627e3073fb4e68623

Just wondered if anyone had used it before?

Thanks.

You may find that a good strub with some diluted vinegar neutralises the smell. Rinse and allow to dry of course.

You may find that a good strub with some diluted vinegar neutralises the smell. Rinse and allow to dry of course.

Thanks, i was reading about the vinegar, but am a little confused. What type of vinegar is it? and is it diluted with normal temperature water or boiled?

Probably really stupid questions, sorry lol

Thanks for your quick response.

Normal "chip shop" vinegar or white vinegar I don't think it matters really although white vinegar (distilled vinegar) has less of a smell. I would scrape off any residue with a paint scrapper or knife and then wash and scrub with a scourer of nail brush and the vinegar - I did this in the gp hutch and then washed with soapy water, rinsed and dried.

Any temp water will be fine, just consider your hands and the wood! I have used neat vinegar to dissolve the deposits in the corners of hamster cages and litter trays, rinse well and dry as I said before.

Normal "chip shop" vinegar or white vinegar I don't think it matters really although white vinegar (distilled vinegar) has less of a smell. I would scrape off any residue with a paint scrapper or knife and then wash and scrub with a scourer of nail brush and the vinegar - I did this in the gp hutch and then washed with soapy water, rinsed and dried.

Any temp water will be fine, just consider your hands and the wood! I have used neat vinegar to dissolve the deposits in the corners of hamster cages and litter trays, rinse well and dry as I said before.

Thank you, you have been very helpful :)

Just got to ask my mum to get me some vinegar;)

Thanks again.

Back