• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating after dental (sadly left us)

Flip

New Kit
First of all, hi there Im new to the forum.

I've been having alot of problems with my 4 year old bunny over the last few days. She went off her food and started grinding her teeth, fearing a tooth problem we took her to the vets and it was confirmed that she had spurs on one of her molars.
She was booked in for a dental yesterday afternoon where they sorted out her tooth, but they also found she had a deep cut on her tongue :(

I was told she probably wouldnt eat anything yesterday evening, and informed they had given her intraveinous fluids to keep her going through the night.

The problem is, this morning she is still very groggy allowing anyone to pick her up (she usually does everything to avoid being picked up, prefering to follow at my heel where ever she needs to go), and wont, or can't eat, and only drinking a small amount.

She's been prescribed Fibreplex 3 times a day, and oral antibiotics once a day.

It's very unlike her to be so subdued, and especially to be so off her food (infact she's so food centred we have a job keeping her at a healthy weight and not turning into a puddle bunny).

Any advice on how to get her eating again, or reassurence as to how long it usually takes them to recover from such things would be very much appreciated. Very worried about the little fluff ball now :(

Last edited:
She was given pain relief yesterday, but none was prescribed for her after care.
Having cut my own tongue before I can understand how sore it is for the poor little mite, but obviously I'm keen for her to eat to avoid any digestion problems :(

She was given pain relief yesterday, but none was prescribed for her after care.
Having cut my own tongue before I can understand how sore it is for the poor little mite, but obviously I'm keen for her to eat to avoid any digestion problems :(

She needs pain relief !!
A Rabbit in pain wont eat. I would call your Vet straight away and request a supply of analgesia that you can administer daily for the next 7 days.

Thank you for the swift reply, done, and done.
Rang the vets, explained the problem and my long suffering partner is on his way to pick up some oral pain relief for her as I type this.

Heres hoping it does the trick, it's heartbreaking seeing her like this :(

Have they given you any critical care or Science recovery to give if she doesn't eat? You could also wet down pellets to make them easier to eat until the tongue heals

You could also try blending her favourite veg with some water to make it easier for her to eat while everything is so sore. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

We've been given supreme recovery food to keep her going, but from the face she makes it's obviously some kind of new and unusual toture having to eat this.
She's a spoilt little madam and isn't used to all this man handling, so as a result more ends up on her dewlap and the towel than in her poor empty belly.

But what she doesn't spit out she is eating and she's sat next to me taking small sips of water now, so it's looking hopefull.

Thank you so much for the advice folks

bunny dental

hi, sad to here that your bunnie not eating after dental,my poor billy zulla used to have a dental every 4-5 wks most times he would manage to eat but sometimes he just couldnt manage it,perhaps his pain relief has worn off ? did they give you some medicine for him to take ? I would ring the vets though if you think hes not drinking thats the most important thing after the general, it makes them very thirsty.if worried always call the vets.I hope he feels better soon :wave:

My little bundle of fluff gave up the fight last night after the best efforts of my partner, myself, 2 veterinary nurses and our wonderfull vet.

No one can understand what happened or why, everyone tried their best to get her back on her paws and I can't thank them enough for their help and support.

I'll never forget her

Back