• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First aid kit

Marreline

Warren Scout
(Apologies if posting in the wrong place...)

Do you have a bunny first aid kit? Really must get one together.

Where do you source your medicines? Want to get a pain killer as my two seem to get gas regularly and if I could avoid a trip to the vet that would be good for them and me.

But first, I need to solve the reason for the gas....the vet is stumped. Could be diet related but not sure what it is that they're eating - they do have free range time in the garden but I'm sure all my plants are safe as I checked and double checked. Could it be the raisins??? They have very few and very infrequently but today's attack does coincide with a few too many raisins yesterday...(friend's little daughter was sharing her snack, I didn't notice until it was too late...)

:roll:

(Apologies if posting in the wrong place...)

Do you have a bunny first aid kit? Really must get one together.

Where do you source your medicines? Want to get a pain killer as my two seem to get gas regularly and if I could avoid a trip to the vet that would be good for them and me.

But first, I need to solve the reason for the gas....the vet is stumped. Could be diet related but not sure what it is that they're eating - they do have free range time in the garden but I'm sure all my plants are safe as I checked and double checked. Could it be the raisins??? They have very few and very infrequently but today's attack does coincide with a few too many raisins yesterday...(friend's little daughter was sharing her snack, I didn't notice until it was too late...)

I had a word with my vet and once he was sure I was capable of treating a mild case of stasis he let me buy some metacam and zantac, infacal from supermarket.

I also have a bunny heated pad, which you put in the microwave and comes with a jacket.

Also get some herbal teas, they liked to drink this cooled, and helps a poorly tummy.

Yes too many raisins have made our bunny ill before, and she loves them.

How much pellet food are your bunnies eating?

P.S What causes Biscuit's tummy problems is stress (when we moved), eating pelleted food and inactivity (we have to get her moving as she is a lazy moo).

Hi,

Thanks so much for your time and advice, I really do appreciate it.

In answer to your question, I give my bunnies very little dry food. I have just swapped to Supreme Science because of all the bad press surrounding Excel (and they had been very dirty around the bottoms for so long, needed to try something - think it's worked actually, fingers crossed...). The swap was gradual though and they've had gassy attacks both before and since this change to their diet. I don't give them anywhere near the recommended amount which seems ludicrously generous...I give them a handful to share morning and night - barely covers the bottom of the bowl, gone in minutes.

Decided I should go down to my vet and discuss this first aid kit idea. Need to get it sorted!

P.S.!!

No issues surrounding inactivity - they are free range for 3 to 4 hours per day and run around like loonies x

I have a first aid cupboard with all sorts for the small animals in. heat pads, painkillers, emergency nutrition, gripe water, cohesive bandages, nursing cages, antibiotics, probiotics, food supliments, herbal teas, flea, mite lice and tick treatment, oil, creams, shampoos and a whole bunch of other stuff!

Wow! Sounds fantastic.

I'm so naive! Any small signs of illness and it's off to the vet. At £45 a go that's hurting the bank balance! Once paid nearly £100 for a course of injections to rid Stew of his mites...it didn't work. An incredulous friend ("You spent HOW MUCH...???!!!") sent me in the direction of a petshop where I got some squirty stuff (!) that did the job almost instantly. Think it cost me £4.
:oops:

My vet has now given me permission to give Metacam, Laxatract and Infacol (the last is from the chemist). I also have 'dwangvoer' (no idea what the English is - a food supplement) for dire emergencies and if there is no apparent blockage. He also has suggested I keep heat-pads - I basically lost Huppie because she got too cold. It was nearly 30 degrees here and she was sitting in a cold spot on some bricks which, in my idiocy, I thought was good for her while she was poorly. She never warmed up properly.

Heat-pads defo on my shopping list!

No doubt the list will grow and I'll end up with a mini-vets surgery in a few years time...

Emma

Back