• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

AAAAAAAAGHHH! Poorly AGAIN

Marreline

Warren Scout
Any ideas...

This summer both bunnies have been back and forth to the vets with the same symptoms each time - pressing tummies to the floor, not eating, lethargic. They have been treated the same each time too - pain killer injection and Zantac syrup to administer at home to stimulate the gut. The thing is, they have no idea what is wrong each time it happens - neither bunny has stasis, neither has bad teeth etc. But they are clearly in pain or discomfort. I've seen 2 different vets and both were puzzled.

What's going on?

Think it's going to be another trip to the vet this morning as Dumpling showing the familar signs...

Does anyone have any advice please? My husband says leave her for a bit and see if she perks up but I would never forgive myself if things got steadily worse and untreatable.........
:cry:

It sounds like gas. Are your two related? Buns can be genetically inclined towards digestive problems, but it can also be diet related. First (and easiest) thing to look at would be their diet.

I tend to treat mine with metacam and infacol (simethicone) and wait a few hours to see if they get better...which they usually do. If they are still bad after say 2-3 hours then I take them to the vets asap.

The thing about gas is that although it's usually a fairly minor ailment, if the bun goes without eating for any length of time it will turn into stasis and consequently stomach ulcers, etc, etc

Dumpling update

Thanks so much for your reply.

Your advice makes complete sense. And yes, the buns are related - brother and sister.

How do I get hold of the medicines you mentioned? Think I need a bunny first aid kit!! Hate having to run to the vet everytime one of them seems a bit 'off it' but have no option currently as have no way of treating them myself.

As it happens, was about to get Dumpling to put her in the carrier for the dreaded trip to the vets when she hopped out of my arms, ran straight to her favourite bush and began nibbling away. She then made her way to the remainder of the breakfast (she was lucky there was any left...Stew had thought his luck was in and eaten more that his fair share!!) and chomped it all up! She now seems right as rain. Hurray...but very odd!!!

xx

It sounds like gas. Are your two related? Buns can be genetically inclined towards digestive problems, but it can also be diet related. First (and easiest) thing to look at would be their diet.

I tend to treat mine with metacam and infacol (simethicone) and wait a few hours to see if they get better...which they usually do. If they are still bad after say 2-3 hours then I take them to the vets asap.

The thing about gas is that although it's usually a fairly minor ailment, if the bun goes without eating for any length of time it will turn into stasis and consequently stomach ulcers, etc, etc

I agree with the above, ask your vet for metacam and Zantac, and I bought infacal from tesco's.

We do the same as Abby, give Biscuit 1ml of infacal, 0.5ml of zantac and you will have to ask your vet the dosage of metacam depending on weight of bunny.

We also keep her moving around the room, massage her tummy and give her a heated pad. Tempting her with dandillions and fresh herbs.

I would look into their diet, we have not stopped feeding any pelleted food to Biscuit, she eats different hay's herbs and veg.

Glad she's perked up.

I would look at their diet as others have suggested and see if there is something there that's making them gassy.

Get some Infacol from the chemist or supermarket (in the baby section - its used for baby's colic). Take a search on here and you will find the suggested dose.

Of course always keep a close eye with a view to calling the vet if things aren't improving quickly.

Back