• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits born yesterday night. PICTURE OF THEM AT 3 WEEKS (PICTURE HEAVY)

atheist

New Kit
Hi, I'm new to the forum so Hi.

I have 2 rabbits that I brought around 4/5 months ago, two females from the local pet shop. around last month they started trying to humping, which I thought was a bit odd considering they are both female so I went down the local pet shop again to get them checked and the laddie said the females again.
Last night we were just saying how fat one of them is getting but thought it was because they are let out all day everyday in the garden, and eat loads of grass and plants.
Anyway this morning I open the door and a tiny baby fell out, had a look in there and counted around 8. Now I'm not to sure what to do or if I have to do anything? and was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. the two adults are split now and have half the garden each with the cage in the mothers side.
Thanks in advance.
Tyler

Last edited:
:wave: hi i just had a similar experience with pets at home i bought wat i thought were 2 female rabbits wen i took them to the vets for thier jabs it turns out they were both male and they had been fitting 1 got biten on the testical and ended up needing an emergencey castration wich cost me £185 i went straight down to pets at home and kicked up a fuss about it in the store and they ended up refunding me the money for the vets and they gave me free rabbit supplies. if you have a reciept for the rabbits which says they are both female you can complain to the shop and get a refund for wat u paid for the rabbits and u can try and get the money out of them to cover the cost of the babies jabs when they are needed. tell them if they dont do something for you that u will take the story to your local paper.

No piccy there ? - sorry ignore me, it has now appeared.

Sorry, no advice, but someone will be along shortly who does know what they are talking about.

tell them if they dont do something for you that u will take the story to your local paper.

No offence intended, but I'm not sure a paper would be interested in that story 'pet shop horror - store tells owner one rabbit bought is female, and it turns out to be male, so they have babies'.

Last edited:
Well you did the right thing separating them as soon as you realised. Unfortunately the mom could be preggers again all ready, buns are really good at the whole breeding thing! If you wish to re introduce them then the male can now be castrated.

Your girly bun will need extra food and loads of hay and bedding for a bit. Try not to disturb the bed area too much and make sure you rub your hands in the moms bedding before you approach them.

Next you need to decide who you can keep and whether some will need to go to new homes. If you let us know where you are based we can put you in touch with a local rescue who may be able to help you with this.

OK thank you, so I'm doing the right thing by leaving the babies in there?
Also had the rabbits separated in the hutch as I have a top floor and bottom floor and the mum on the top floor keeps thumping quite loud and hard. so they are back out now and going to try getting a spare hutch from a friend tonight.
I'm sure some friends and family would like rabbits also pretty sure the pet shop take them back in as they did with my other-half's gunni pigs.
just not to sure where my local vets would be.
I live in Rayleigh Essex, near to Southend-on-sea.
Thanks again

PIC!!! Lol :) would LOVE to see the babies :D which one is the male???

P.s the lionhead is absoutly STUNNING

the lionhead is the male
were not 100% sure but the other one did get quite fat, and is now down to normal size. so female left and male right

Sorry to be negative but please do not give the babies..or sell them back to the pet shop
you have had these babies as a result of their lack of knowledge..so how could you consider giving more rabbits back to a place like that..where would they end up and how many more unwanted litters might they produce?:cry:

Leave mum to care for them and try to find them good homes yourself
they will need sexing..by someone who knows how to do it..and splitting into sexes at 9 weeks of age..they can stay with mum til then

Sorry to be negative but please do not give the babies..or sell them back to the pet shop
you have had these babies as a result of their lack of knowledge..so how could you consider giving more rabbits back to a place like that..where would they end up and how many more unwanted litters might they produce?:cry:

Leave mum to care for them and try to find them good homes yourself
they will need sexing..by someone who knows how to do it..and splitting into sexes at 9 weeks of age..they can stay with mum til then

Valid point I will try to find better home from them privately instead. OK 9 weeks how or who could sex them?

I agree with honeybunny. If you give them back to the pet shop they will likely end up in a similar situation.... the pet shop owner is obviously inexperienced with sexing rabbits.... they will just sell them, make money and continue the cycle.

You need to make sure that the mum and babies are OK and try not to disturb them too much. Once they are old enough (9 weeks of age)... you need to find someone who can sex the rabbits and you need to split them up or the same thing will happen again.

Once the babies are old enough to be away from mum (9 weeks), you could get your male and female rabbit neutered/spayed and you rebond them. They could live happily together then.

Valid point I will try to find better home from them privately instead. OK 9 weeks how or who could sex them?

A vet would do it, but you also have plenty of time to do research on here before you need to separate.

There are already similar threads asking for advice so run a search and go through all of them.

The babies will be stunning.

Try not to touch them, if you have to make sure you rub your hands in mums litter first so you smell of her ;)

There may be a forum member/rescue centre close to you that could give you a helping hand. You could advertise for homes using this website

www.rabbitrehome.org.uk - which is this website.

You could home check too, and make sure that the rabbits are going to go to a loving home with suitable accommodation.

Oh and I would also get the male neutered NOW.

Then by the time mum is ready to part with babies (providing she doesn't have any more) he wont be fertile any more and can be rebonded.

Sorry this happened to you too! It happened to me, i kept all the babies and they are bonded into pairs now :D

I can sex babies from 6 weeks, so a vet should be able to sex them at 6 weeks too. I'd recommend you put the babies details into the Rabbits In Need section when they are older.

Have you checked all the babies are alive and wriggling in the nest? Keep an eye on them for the first few days without disturbing mum too much.

Good luck, stick around on here :wave::)

There may be a forum member/rescue centre close to you that could give you a helping hand. You could advertise for homes using this website

:wave: I'm near to you, not very coherent at this time of night but I'll happily come and sex them for you nearer the time - probably best to give it a first shot at around 5-6 weeks and then a confirmation go at nearer 9 weeks :)

Send me a pm if you want to swap contact details and we can sort it out nearer the time.

You need to make 100% sure you have mum in with the babies as they will only eat milk for the first few weeks. Mum should have obvious nipples underneath and may have fur missing from her chest. Dad should have testicles which you can find an the base on the tail if you look underneath. There should be two (one each side of the tail) about the size of peanuts still in the shells.

Babies will stay in the nest until just after their eyes open. When they start coming out they'll also start eating solids so provide more hay. They won't be able to cope with a ramp until 3-4 weeks at least probably closer to 5-6 weeks. It depends on the ramp. So watch they can't fall down and be unable to get back up.

Babies need to be seperated from mum and into boys and girls at 8 weeks. If you neutered dad now then he can go back in with mum when that happens.

It's possible she's pregnant again in which case the second litter will arrive 4 weeks after the first.

Tam

I sexed Thunder and Lightening and 1 week old and they are still showing to be both females :)
I'll scoot along with Alison (just to see more babba bunnies!!) *Sqweeeeeeee*

brilliant, you all have been so much help to me. Now I understand what to do and what is expected. the male is off to the vet tomorrow. After he has been neutered can he go straight back in? I cant open the door to much as they are all leaning against it. some i can see but not all of them. there is so much of the males fur, there buried in it. Thanks for the offer Santa I will see how I get on and what were doing, but your help will be most appreciated.

Back